PDA

View Full Version : stereo location for 89 prostar 190

joniron1
03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Im thinking of cutting a hole under the mirror for a stereo,but there is not enough space for a waterproof cover.The boat sits under a carport with a boat cover on it when not in use,and has a bimini when it is on the water so maybe its not a big deal.I was wondering where the factory put radios in this boat, it has wiring under the dash labeled for a radio so i figured it had to be an option,and also where other people have installed theirs.

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Mine is under the vented looking cover,

CantRepeat
03-28-2009, 09:51 PM
What gauge is that next to your radio Harold?

joniron1
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats where i was thinking of putting mine .Ill have to hope for the best or find/make some kind of cover like yours,there is not enough room for the flip up covers i see for sale .I just didnt want to do something that takes 5 minutes to do but cant be undone.thanks, Jon

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
What gauge is that next to your radio Harold?

Depth finder.

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Thats where i was thinking of putting mine .Ill have to hope for the best or find/make some kind of cover like yours,there is not enough room for the flip up covers i see for sale .I just didnt want to do something that takes 5 minutes to do but cant be undone.thanks, Jon

That's the OEM Sony cover that came with the radio 20 years ago. I've never pursued finding a waterproof cover for it. When we're in the boat, the cover goes in the glove box and like at night during CSM,, I just put the cover on and throw a towel over it and secure it under the mirror. I guess I've just been lucky, but I've soaked the head unit twice from water coming over the windshield after powerturns, and a couple hours later in the hot sun it was playing again.

russlars
03-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Mine is under the vented looking cover,

#1 I see some dust down in the crevices. Lets get on it.:D:D:D

mark g
03-29-2009, 08:01 AM
couldnt bring myself to cut out the dash so made a box and installed behind passenger seat, sometimes a pain to change disks but all can be operated from remote, and its hidden.

BriEOD
03-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Im thinking of cutting a hole under the mirror for a stereo,but there is not enough space for a waterproof cover.

I disagree.

Abe
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
couldnt bring myself to cut out the dash so made a box and installed behind passenger seat, sometimes a pain to change disks but all can be operated from remote, and its hidden.

Hey Mark, That looks pretty cool an out of sight, Did you have to screw into the fiberglass or what. Am thinking of putting a sound system in my pro 190 1990. but have always been put off because of our unpredictable weather here in the UK damaging the unit, I never thought of there til I seen yours. :)

mark g
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Abe never like the thought of drilling the fibre glass but the boat came with four holes drilled in the glove box recess obviously to drain the recess, i used these holes to mount the box, the box is what electricians use to mount things in, think they call them adaptable boxes, and they are waterproof, just found one to accomodate the stereo and made it to fit.
the stereo is controlled from the remote, i'm running on lpg so no need for the fuel guage, removed that and fitted the remote in its place.

TMCNo1
03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey Mark, That looks pretty cool an out of sight, Did you have to screw into the fiberglass or what. Am thinking of putting a sound system in my pro 190 1990. but have always been put off because of our unpredictable weather here in the UK damaging the unit, I never thought of there til I seen yours. :)

There are braces laid into the fiberglass bow deck structure that you can screw into, provided the screws are not to long to penetrate up and thru the bow deck gelcoat. One of those braces is where the rubber mounts are to store the stern light, speaker wiring is hung from the braces that is just forward and behind the mirror well.

Delete1
03-31-2009, 12:39 AM
My deck is installed in the spotter seat, in the fiberglass facing the drivers seat. It is hidden and works with the remote. Lots of room to remove the face plate and change CD's. Just an idea. The deck was there when I purchased the boat. Out of the way and clean. Amp is under the spotter seat and box is in the bow.

Abe
03-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Abe never like the thought of drilling the fibre glass but the boat came with four holes drilled in the glove box recess obviously to drain the recess, i used these holes to mount the box, the box is what electricians use to mount things in, think they call them adaptable boxes, and they are waterproof, just found one to accomodate the stereo and made it to fit.
the stereo is controlled from the remote, i'm running on lpg so no need for the fuel guage, removed that and fitted the remote in its place.

Looks nice an tidy, Great idea, Will be looking into that 1. Cheers for now and hope you have good weather for this coming season.:D

Ubugme2
04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I have mine mounted in the fiber glass under the rear facing seat. it faces the driver and i have a remote. It fits nice and the amp and batt are right there for easy hook up.