PDA

View Full Version : Carborator ?'s

liquidforceb069
03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
do you guys think its better to buy a new one or just get the old one rebuilt? i have a 89 pro star and it smokes really bad and when i wakeboard behind it black stuff gets on the bottom of my board. someone told me that its prolly burning to much gas and to get the carb rebuilt.. any input will help thanks

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
If you can rebuild it or have it rebuilt with this, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0120-1, why pay this, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA052003.
I'm just showing this for comparison purposes, but...............it's your choice.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I'd say have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself depending on your comfort level with working on the boat. The carburetor is really a pretty simple part to work on and good instructions are available. If you don't want to take the project on yourself, having it done should not be nearly as expensive as the new unit and it would be pretty unusual to have it worn out to the point of not being able to be good as new after the rebuild.

rholmes
03-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Have it rebuilt. IN this economy, there are a lot of shops that would rebuild the card for you for around $150, including the cost of the kit. Easy stuff to do. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you should do it yourself. If you can change brakes on a car, you can rebuild a carb.

liquidforceb069
03-30-2009, 01:33 AM
yeah action waters sports said it would be 400$.. they put the boat in the water and tune it and everything... so ill prolly just get that kit then and rebuild it. brakes on a car are easy infact so is putting a 8.5" long arm lift kit on a 98 cherokee. but ive just never messed with carbs before.. where can you get really good directions??!

flipper
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Rebuild it if needed, but may just be a simple adjustment too.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
The directions that come with the carb kit will walk you through it. Just make sure to read them before you start and follow them completely. One of the steps that you won't be able to do is soak the carb in a container of carb cleaner like a professional shop. Perhaps you should look into removing the carb yourself and taking it to a carb shop for the rebuild. If you go that route, make sure they understand it is a marine carb.

On the other hand, your carb may just need a simple repair such as a float replacement. The black smoke is coming from a too rich condition. You might be best served finding a service manual and go through the carb adjustments first.

TMCNo1
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Just got the heart back from my mechanic after a little $60 tuneup and some basic tricks,