PDA

View Full Version : Corvette LT1 - your thoughts on this engine?

jerrypauls
05-17-2005, 03:32 AM
I am looking at purchasing a 96 Maristar 200vrs with the Corvette LT1 engine (600 hours). I was wondering what experiences people have had with this engine. I know it is powerful, but is it durable? I think I heard somewhere some concern about the aluminum block. Should I be concerned about getting this motor, or excited to get one? Anything I should check into before buying?

Thanks for any feedback.

MasterMason
05-17-2005, 03:47 AM
I am looking at purchasing a 96 Maristar 200vrs with the Corvette LT1 engine (600 hours). I was wondering what experiences people have had with this engine. I know it is powerful, but is it durable? I think I heard somewhere some concern about the aluminum block. Should I be concerned about getting this motor, or excited to get one? Anything I should check into before buying?

Thanks for any feedback.

I have that engine, it has been great so far, but I have only had it for a few months. the one thing I was warned about was to make sure it hadn't had an over heating issue in the past.

SkySkiSpokane
05-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Had mine for five years now, put 400 hours on it and never had a problem. Make sure it has never had rv antifreeze put through it since it will deteriorate the aluminum block. I love the motor. Starts and runs flawlessly even when we run in the winter and the water temps are in the upper thirtys and lower forties. Stabilize the gas real well if you winterize. The injectors are sensitive to clogging. Only happened once to me but I hear it can be common with old (unstabilized) fuel. Also, don't burn the fuel pump out by running it out of gas. That will set you back about three bills!! My own fault!! :rolleyes:

Diesel
05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I put 662 hours on my LT1 with out a single problem. Very quiet and smooth idle. It has never been hot and has never failed to start. Very smooth power from 3k on and excellent pull at higher speeds. Keep up with your maint. schedule and you should be fine. ;)

east tx skier
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh, man. It has not been long enough since the last time this topic came up. I still remember how ugly it got. Thankfully, I wasn't in on that particular discussion and wasn't called to shampoo anything. I have no opinion on the subject, and will address all questions regarding the previous thread to search this forum and/or the old one.