PDA

View Full Version : What battery to buy?

g-Dog
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a 2002 205V with a dual battery system that was installed by the previous owner. It consists of a Duralast Marine "Deep cycle" for the main battery and a Interstate Marine "Deep cycle" for the stereo system...along with a PAC-200 relay/isolator. I have read on numerous sites and threads that the main battery should be either a "starting" type or a dual "starting/deep cycle" type...and not just a deep cycle. I am looking to replace it but I'm not sure what to get. I was just going to swap it out for the Duralast "starting" type but then I stared reading about the Optimas. My questions are: 1. Do I really need to swap it out if it still is in good condition and holding a charge? 2. Should I go with the "starting" or "starting/deep cycle" type? 3. If I get the Optima will the different battery technologies conflict with each other and/or the charging system?

Everything worked great all last year...but you never know. Also, the other issue was/is price. At Autozone the Duralast is $100 and the Optima is $200 (with tax, plus or minus), but I just recently found the "starting" Optima 34M at Amazon for $155 with a $20 rebate. So between $100 and $135 I'm assuming the Optima is a no-brainer...unles there's an issue with the charging of the two.

Thanks in advance for the input.

sand2snow22
03-27-2009, 01:43 AM
My dealer and myself are a fan of Deka's. When you replace them, replace both at the same time.

CantRepeat
03-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Optima Blues

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/blue_top_battery.html

bxroads
03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I've been researching the exact question and I hear that the Kinetic is the only way to fly. Most of the custom car steroe competitors use this battery. Ebay has the best prices.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp

Regarding Optima's, I've heard way to many negative reviews to have confidence in them.

jixxxer
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Of couse optima and kinetic are the best, bet since my first boat Ive used just regual batteries from autozone and never had any troubles what so ever.

g-Dog
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I've charged the deep-cycle that I was using as a starting battery. It started out at 11.5V and now it consistantly holds a 12.6V charge. Being that it's only 2 years old I'm assuming it still usable. I guess the main concern I had was using the deep-cycle as a starting battery. I thought deep-cycles were designed to be fully discharged and then recharged...but maybe that doesn't really affect their life span??? Would there be a problem with using two deep-cycles in parallel on one side of the relay/isolator and an AGM type for the starting one? Too much for the stock alternator? I know I should just replace both with new AGM's...but that's a hard sell to the wife.

beatle78
03-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I put Duralast (Autozones brand) in my truck based on recommendation from hardcore plowers on plowsite.com.

So far so good and I don't have the alternator I should for plowing and it's holding up well.

When my Marine batteries need replacing, I'm going Duralast for them as well.

Also, the price was very reasonable.

my :twocents:

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Of couse optima and kinetic are the best, bet since my first boat Ive used just regual batteries from autozone and never had any troubles what so ever.

Optima is not in the same league. kinetic is pricey but head and shoulders above the comp.

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I put Duralast (Autozones brand) in my truck based on recommendation from hardcore plowers on plowsite.com.

So far so good and I don't have the alternator I should for plowing and it's holding up well.

my :twocents:

Plowing what? I thought tractors were used to plow fields:confused:

CantRepeat
03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been researching the exact question and I hear that the Kinetic is the only way to fly. Most of the custom car steroe competitors use this battery. Ebay has the best prices.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp

Regarding Optima's, I've heard way to many negative reviews to have confidence in them.

Really? I've had one in my boat for five years now. Even after sitting for the off season it doesn't lose a charge.

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Really? I've had one in my boat for five years now. Even after sitting for the off season it doesn't lose a charge.

I didn't mean it was bad, great starter battery. The Kinetic will output 12 volts until it is completely spent hence the use of those for when the boat is floating. The optima will draw below 11.5 very fast if used as a stereo battery with the boat off.

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I am speaking about when used in a high output system say over 1500 watts.

CantRepeat
03-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I am speaking about when used in a high output system say over 1500 watts.

Ah, I see. My stereo is nothing like what most folks have going on these days. It's just an Apline head unit with iPod controls, a 400w amp and four 6.5 Infinitys. Much better then what was in the boat when I got it, but not a screamer either.

There are a couple of types of Optima Blues now. When I got mine I think there was only one. I did a quick overview of the newer ones out now. They all say deep cycle except one of them and it's labled as a starter.

TX.X-30 fan
03-28-2009, 10:51 AM
That alpine is a he!! of a good unit and 2x what came in my boat too.

Cloaked
03-28-2009, 11:27 AM

my :twocents:Plowers do not have to worry about a dead or inoperable battery out on the water.

Reasonable is not an option for me when it's getting dark and no one is around to get you in, unless of course you're out plowing...

Optima blue and a battery tender.

Any battery deserves attention and maintenance as well, even if it is a Duralost.

Find a Battery Tender, if that seems reasonable.

www.batterymart.com (http://www.batterymart.com)

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-plus-12v-1_25a-gel-battery-charger.html

$0.02