PDA

View Full Version : old prostar shaft question

lavoie07
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
hi, when i turn my propeller a iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sounds come out of the shaft bushing or bearing inside the strut
but i have no loose does this thing need water to lubricated or i can grease it or a need to replace it

i read in the owner manual i can not use a carburator kit from auto part??
it's true?

thanks

TMCNo1
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
hi, when i turn my propeller a iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sounds come out of the shaft bushing or bearing inside the strut
but i have no loose does this thing need water to lubricated or i can grease it or a need to replace it

i read in the owner manual i can not use a carburator kit from auto part??
it's true?

thanks

No grease, no lubrication, the bushings may need replacing if really worn, get the good strut bushings here, http://www.ojprops.com/products/rudder_kits

Just get the marine rebuild kit and be done with it, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0120-1

FrankSchwab
03-26-2009, 06:59 PM
The cutlass bearing is water lubricated; it will make that sound when it's dry. Don't even think of running the engine and putting the transmission in gear on the trailer; not only is it stupidly dangerous, everyone in a half-mile radius will hear the squeal from the bearing.

I don't know about the carb kit.

/frank

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
You are right..... normally, water lubricates the strut bushing. If the boat is on the trailer, the bushing will be dry and may make some noises. Don't run the engine in gear for any length of time as this will heat up the bushing—it sounds as though you are just rotating the prop by hand and that will not cause a problem.

Oooops......a little slow on the post, Frank beat me to it.

Myskiboattime
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
A water lubricated rubber cutlass bearing provides the lowest friction of any bearing material...only when wet however.

Dball
05-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I just picked up a rebuild kit for a 4160 from advance auto for 26 bucks. Worked like a champ.

EJ OJPROP
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
A water lubricated rubber cutlass bearing provides the lowest friction of any bearing material...only when wet however.

Have to dissagree with that. The Vesconite strut bearings we use have much lower friction than the standard rubber cutlass.

EJ OJPROP
05-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Have to dissagree with that. The Vesconite strut bearings we use have much lower friction than the standard rubber cutlass.

flipper
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
You can say that again:rolleyes::D

EJ OJPROP
05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Sorry for the double post

PS.205
05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
lavoie07- I had the same thing happen to me when I first bought my boat. I freaked out but had someone tell me put it in the water and see if it happens. I put it in the water and no noise!!! You might need to replace but try dropping it in the water first. Might save you sometime and money.

XPC Sealman
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I also dissagree... the coefficient of friction on a typical rubber bearing is .36 compared to the OJ / XPC Hilube that is .09 With the theory that water lubricates rubber, That is a myth. That system is relying on a pressurized film/vapor of water. When the pressure is not sufficient you will have Slip-Stik or the anoying growl found in most typical drive systems. This is why the new drives on the MasterCraft line up are far superior anything available today.