PDA

View Full Version : UFP axle trailing arm removal

nmcjr
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I experienced the '02 failure of the UFP torsion cartridge on one of my axles. I have a replacement on its way. I am wondering if anyone has removed the trailing arms. I have removed the bolt and soaked the joint with wd40, but simply cannot get the trailing arm to budge off the splined shaft. Any ideas? Thanks.

(Picture from another thread, but same axle)

Jerseydave
03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I've never done one, but maybe try a pitman arm puller (or similar puller) NO air gun!

Maybe JimN or [email protected] will chime in.

g-Dog
03-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Oh...that brings back memories. The end of last season I had to replace the front the axle of my 2002 205V trailer. What I did to get the arm off was to wedge a thick chisel in the gap and hit it a few times with a hammer to slightly expand it...while at the same time prying with another chisel between the back of the arm and the axel. After a while it will finally work itself off.

nmcjr
03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the responses--I ended up using a puller. The other side came right off, whch was how I thought they would both come off. I was hoping not to have to remove the spindles, oh well. Can't say this is a real fun upgrade (compared to speakers etc.)!!

Mine was the front also, I wonder if the front tends to fail more. I am a bit fearful that the rear axle will fail too, but measured to the frame on both sides and they seem to be even so I guess I shouldn't worry about it for now.