PDA

View Full Version : Marina food Prices: Rape or Opportunity?!?!?!

milkmania
05-17-2005, 01:34 AM
do you guys see an elevated price in Marina food prices?

$6.95 for a burger seems kinda high, and I didn't even get cheese, chips, or a pickle! It was an OK burger, nothing special....looked like Sam's Wholesale Club patty

is it simply because they know you're on the water and don't want to bother docking or loading up just to run into town for lunch?

erkoehler
05-17-2005, 01:42 AM
You got it. Why lower the price when everybody pays and then questions it a day later. And yet the following weekend they do it all over again!

Bongo
05-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Yep. Why are gas prices at a marina much higher than surrounding land-based gas stations?

Convenience (for boaters). Lack of alternate choices. Boaters have big $$$.

I contend, though have not been willing to put money behind it, that a good restaraunt with ample boat and auto parking on the water can make big $$$. Establishments with crappy food make decent dollars. Liquor license, good view, good food and ample parking and you've got a winner.

I'm certainly willing to pay a premium for getting good food and beverage on the water. Not quite as willing if the food sucks.

Bongo

Leroy
05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Lakefront always costs more and there is the seasonal issue, probably don't push many of those burgers in January. That price sounds normal compared to most burgers in the airports! A college friend's FIL has a marina for sale in Florence AL including restraurant and BAR! He did a serious look but couldn't make the numbers work for him. Could be your calling Milk!

jimmer2880
05-17-2005, 06:29 AM
I'd LOVE to pay $7.00 for a burger at my marina. But, then again - I would need a marina! Only option I have is "Bring your own". Gas - either pull the boat out, or carry 5 gallons at a time (actually, 10, 5 in each hand). Then - when all the cans are empty, we have to ~cough~ go to town ~cough~. It's illegal to leave the "compound" on weekends per club rules (an un-official one, but it's still a rule I try hard to obide by).

bret
05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
What's a burger at Friday's or Chili's...9.95? A lot of times they price them so they won't get ALL the business because some of them would be overrun with people. Our local Subway has delivery service down to the old Main St access at our lake, so do the local pizza shops. Marinas mostly just have snacks, as they would have to have all the safety inspections, health inspections, and fire prevention as restaurants.

Gas, well depends on the state laws mostly. Most of the time, marinas don't fall under the same guidelines for retail "C" stores. Supply/demand/availability are in the equation for marinas, plus the cost of maintaining and inspecting the fuel lines running from the tank, especially if the marina floats rather than on pilings or starts its base on dry land.

Footin
05-17-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't know if I belive it or not, but a marina owner once told me that after he pays the special insurance he has to get to dispense gas on the water, he make no more money than a regular gas station.

east tx skier
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Our local marina has great burgers, a deck with a view, and a bar. The prices aren't that bad. We've gone out there for a burger and a beer even without the boat. Like someone said, not much more, if at all, than Chilis.

milkmania
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
as usual....you guys make some good points

and it's not as bad as I thought once you put into a different perspective:headbang:

AirJunky
05-17-2005, 12:54 PM
I'd say it depends on the place & quality of the food & atmosphere. There is a little hole in the wall here on Diamond Lake in northern WA. Old rinky dink house that has been added on to 20 times, unlevel floors, etc. But it has a great view, awesome food & live music on Friday & Sat. nites. People come by boat & car to check it out & it's packed almost every night all summer long. Prices are even pretty reasonable.

But then there is Cedars Floating restaurant on the Spokane River in Coeur d'Alene. They tried to make it a super nice, classy place & all the beer drinkers & waterskiers keep showing up lookin for a burger joint. Prices are outrageous. Definitely missed the target.

The marinas on Lake Shasta in CA & Dale Hollow in TN are complete with Pro Shop/school, Restaurant/bar, slips, etc. They rent houseboats, pontoon boats, etc.

I think if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy something like the Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow. Super nice & has it all.

milkmania
05-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I think if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy something like the Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow. Super nice & has it all.

now, that's a nice place!!!
http://www.sunsetmarina.com/

I only had a few moments to look it over, but it looked very well organized and maintained:headbang:

Leroy
05-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Agree on Sunset, we rented a houseboat out of there last summer. But when we ate at the restraurant everyone that ate anything fried got the runs! Think their grease was old....fix that when you buy the place Airjunky!

AirJunky
05-17-2005, 01:36 PM
And brand new!! The old marina burned down a few years ago & the new place was built bigger & better. The restaurant has great food, the houseboats are far nicer than anything I've seen on Roosevelt, Shushwap, Shasta or Havasu. Even plenty of room to tie up a dozen or two boats!
As you can see on that website, when we show up for the TN Fly-in, we show up in force, 100+ riders, 20+ ski boats & we rent 6 or 8 of their houseboats for a week. And they accomodate us easily!

Oooops, sorry Leroy. Guess I'll have to straighten out that grease problem ASAP! :eek:

tex
05-17-2005, 02:19 PM
We went to Lake LBJ last summer and stayed at a place on the water. It was a group of small cabins with a pool and boat lifts. If I won the lotto, I would buy a place like that. No worries about houseboats or other things. Maybe throw a little cafe in. I would live happy!

east tx skier
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I mention this place and always forget the name. But it's on Lake Austin and has been there for nearly 50 years. "Ski Something." Great burgers!

rem_p
05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Yep. Why are gas prices at a marina much higher than surrounding land-based gas stations?

Convenience (for boaters). Lack of alternate choices. Boaters have big $$$.

I contend, though have not been willing to put money behind it, that a good restaraunt with ample boat and auto parking on the water can make big $$$. Establishments with crappy food make decent dollars. Liquor license, good view, good food and ample parking and you've got a winner.

I'm certainly willing to pay a premium for getting good food and beverage on the water. Not quite as willing if the food sucks.

Bongo

Bongo you hit the nail on the head....all the local places on the lake here are just like that....water or land parking......places make a killing....because its not your every day Mcdonalds :popcorn: