PDA

View Full Version : What is a recession?

pkskier
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I was sent the following in an email today. I have believed this for a long time.

What is a recession?

This is the story about a man who sold street eats by the roadside. He was illiterate, so he didnít read newspapers. He was hard of hearing, so he didnít listen to the radio. His eyes were weak, so he didnít watch television. But, enthusiastically, he sold street eats!

He was smart enough to offer some attractive ways to increase his sales. Both sales and profit increased. He ordered more and sold more. He recruited wait staff to serve more customers. He offered home deliveries. Eventually he got himself a bigger and better stove to cook on.

As his business grew, his son, who had recently graduated from university, joined his fatherís business. Then something strange happened. The son asked, "Dad, aren't you aware of the great recession that is coming our way?"

The father replied, "No, but tell me about it." The son said, "The international situation is terrible. The domestic situation is even worse. We should be prepared for the coming bad times."

The man thought that since his son had been to university, read the papers, listened to the radio and watched TV, he ought to know and his advice should not be taken lightly. So the next day, the father cut down his orders and took down the colourful signboard, took away all the discounts he was offering customers and was no longer as enthusiastic about his sales. He laid off almost 50% of his staff.

Very soon, fewer people stopped at his street eats stand. His sales started dropping rapidly, as did his profit. The father said to his son, "Son, you were right. We are in the middle of a recession and crisis. I am glad you warned me."

Moral of The Story: It's all in your MIND! And we actually FUEL this recession much more than we think we do!!!!!!!!!! !!

What can we take away from this story??

1. How many times do we confuse intelligence with good judgment?

2. Choose your advisors carefully but use your own judgment

3. A person or an organization will survive, if they have the 5 Cs

* Character
* Commitment
* Conviction
* Courtesy
* Courage

The tragedy today is that there are many walking encyclopedias that are living failures.

The more practical and appropriate views on this economic recession is:
For every organization, this is the time to unite, motivate and retain people (their biggest assets); this is the time to show commitment to the customers; this is the time to live by personal and organizational values, and the time to stand by our Nation.