PDA

View Full Version : "How Would You Fix the Economy?"

chudson
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM
This was an article from the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper Sunday, February 8, 2009. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?" This was the first responce..............

Patriotic retirement: There's about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance with stipulations.

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

David Otterson, Largo

I laughed when I read this and then I scratched my head and said, "Hey wait a minute"!!! "David Otterson" for president!!!

No need to "snopes" this because it happened....................

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article973953.ece

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Hmmm....

Well, average life expectancy is approximately 79 years. So, $1M divided by 29 years is $34K per year. What if they exceed 79 years? Is social security going to still be there? How about taxes on this $1M?

I wouldn't take it....

Sodar
03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Dumb. $34k/yr. is below the poverty level.

scott023
03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm....

Well, average life expectancy is approximately 79 years. So, $1M divided by 29 years is $34K per year. What if they exceed 79 years? Is social security going to still be there? How about taxes on this $1M?

I wouldn't take it....

Couldn't you still pick up a job on the side and invest your severance? Besides, it didn't say anyhing about discontinuing SS.

jdl xstar
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
The brain drain from all the experienced people retiring and replacing with inexperienced would doom the economy to a much greater extent. Plus, I bet a large portion of $1 million recipients would blow the lump sum and end up on welfare. It's like redneck lotto winners:

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I was assuming they are all 50 and am sure the age range varies. If you retired, why would you necessarily want another job?

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
personally i think it might work... i mean w/ a house paid for and dependable transportation paid for a couple could easily live off 34k per yr... assuming they didn't get extravagant... they could invest portions in cds and bonds and further stimulate the economy to increase their available funds... and still to get SS at 62 would open up more room for them... might actually work... won't happen but might work

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
This debate could go for days...pay off your house and now you're gonna get crushed with taxes and have no shelter.

Monte
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Here is my lame brain scheme.

Take the bank bailout money (or the remainder of it). Equally distribute this money to each tax paying citizen. MANDATE that the money goes directly toward a PREexisting debt. Mortgage FIRST, Car loan 2nd, Credit card/ incidental and or unsecured last. For the very few who have absolutely NO debt... Great!! they get to vacation, buy a car, spend it on investments whatever they want really.
Basically the money will have to go through the usual channels(instead of lining the fat cat pockets) It will stall some forclosures.. ie buy time for those without jobs. Those who have not made a payment in a couple years.. well tough cookies. The bank just bought down how much they need to get out of your house on the repo market.

mad-dog1
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
To put it into perspective......:rolleyes:
http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Hmmm....

I wouldn't take it....

That's assuming they have no other funds. 1mil. at 5% is more like 50,000 a year and never touch the principal.

Giving everyone the money would have been a better idea hands down, now it has all gone into govt programs that do nothing more than p!ss money away.

Want to turn the economy around, a few steps would bring markets surging back.

Take corporate and cap gains to zero for an extended length of time.

Take all withholding to zero or very low for 18/24 months.

Take every single govt expenditure, fed, state and local and cut 25% across the board and make these thieves work for the money the steal from taxpayers.

Stocks would rebound within weeks and employers who no longer are burdened with the highest taxes on the planet would hire workers.

If they wanted to really fix this it can be done, if they want to increase the size of govt. forever they will continue down the current path.

h2oskifreak
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Take a portion of the "bail out" and put all the idle Catapiller equip. to work digging ski lakes. Dig thousands, and watch people buy boats and spend $ on gas. Problem fixed, well at least one problem.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM

And most of the Soldiers fighting in our Armies make less then that.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 06:29 PM
If you gave every American 1m it would just make inflation go crazy. A cup of coffee would cost 50 bucks and the dollar would be worth less then it is now.

TMCNo1
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
The government needs to quit buying such big rolls of toilet paper!

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
If you gave every American 1m it would just make inflation go crazy. A cup of coffee would cost 50 bucks and the dollar would be worth less then it is now.

That is true, what do you think will happen with what the boobs are doing now??

mlay
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Easy....impeach Obama.

scott023
03-24-2009, 11:16 PM
To put it into perspective......:rolleyes:
http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/index.html

Holy Duck... that blew my mind.

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Easy....impeach Obama.

Why? It's pretty easy to point the finger at the new guy and say it's your fault and you suck. He's just trying to fix what the last 12 years of administration/greedy bankers and 4 dollar a gallon gas did to us. Is his plan any good? I don't know and I don't think we will know for a couple of years from now. How long did it take to come out of the last collapse of the market?

Greedy bankers are probably the single biggest reason we ended up here.

92 190 PS
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Why? It's pretty easy to point the finger at the new guy and say it's your fault and you suck. He's just trying to fix what the last 12 years of administration/greedy bankers and 4 dollar a gallon gas did to us. Is his plan any good? I don't know and I don't think we will know for a couple of years from now. How long did it take to come out of the last collapse of the market?

Greedy bankers are probably the single biggest reason we ended up here.

OK...We always end up here in any political conversation that comes up on TT. Fact is the reason we're in this mess is that government stuck it's nose where it didn't belong and forced banks into making many of those loans to people that couldn't afford to pay for them. "Because everyone deserves a home, everyone deserves a car, everyone deserves health care, everyone deserves........." Are the banks to blame sure, but not nearly as much to blame as our friends at fanny and freddie and there in DC.

I love that we blame greedy bankers and greedy oil executives for all of the countries problems. Keep in mind the banks and oil companies are owned by all of us in our pensions, 401k's and other investments. When those companies do well we all do well....

Bottom line.....It's big government that is the problem and the sooner we all realize that and the sooner they get their damn nose out from where it doesn't belong and stop taxing us like old Mr. Marx dreamed of we'll all be better off....

Problem is we're stuck down this path until at least 2010 with this administration and these clowns in congress...

OK...I'm done now. Thanks I feel better.

TX.X-30 fan
03-25-2009, 08:06 AM
OK...We always end up here in any political conversation that comes up on TT. Fact is the reason we're in this mess is that government stuck it's nose where it didn't belong and forced banks into making many of those loans to people that couldn't afford to pay for them. "Because everyone deserves a home, everyone deserves a car, everyone deserves health care, everyone deserves........." Are the banks to blame sure, but not nearly as much to blame as our friends at fanny and freddie and there in DC.

I love that we blame greedy bankers and greedy oil executives for all of the countries problems. Keep in mind the banks and oil companies are owned by all of us in our pensions, 401k's and other investments. When those companies do well we all do well....

Bottom line.....It's big government that is the problem and the sooner we all realize that and the sooner they get their damn nose out from where it doesn't belong and stop taxing us like old Mr. Marx dreamed of we'll all be better off....

Problem is we're stuck down this path until at least 2010 with this administration and these clowns in congress...

OK...I'm done now. Thanks I feel better.

Great post, someone has been paying attention. :D:D

wakeX2wake
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
great post 92 190 ps...

another solution i would offer... and i offer myself as the sacrifical lamb... is to triple my salary... YES... i can and will spend it ALL... but if that plan doesn't work out i'll continue to do my part

jdl xstar
03-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Well said 92 190 PS.

pkskier
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
92 PS 190 hit the nail on the head. The problem we are facing now is that our government is getting even bigger in their vain attempt to fix the problem and spending even more money that we don't have.

aremsing
03-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree, well said 92 PS 190. It's nice to see some people are paying attention

flipper
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM

That would be assuming the person had no savings, retirement built up, and no ss. I could see where this could work for many people. Not to mention that million could make money for them is handled right too. Not saying I'm all for it, or against it, just saying I could see where it could work.