PDA

View Full Version : Boating with very young children

mrprostar
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
My wife and I just welcomed our new baby into the world on January 22nd and he is doing awesome. I am wondering if it is safe to take a young child like this on the boat for this summer. Obviously he would wear a life jacket but the smallest they have is "up to 30 lbs.". He weighs almost 11 lbs now and I don't see how a jacket made for 30 lbs kid would be safe for someone so small. Does anyone have experience with this? Should we just not take him on the boat until next summer? Any other suggestions?

KnoxX2
03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
PM at ya!!!!!!

flipper
03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
My wife and I just welcomed our new baby into the world on January 22nd and he is doing awesome. I am wondering if it is safe to take a young child like this on the boat for this summer. Obviously he would wear a life jacket but the smallest they have is "up to 30 lbs.". He weighs almost 11 lbs now and I don't see how a jacket made for 30 lbs kid would be safe for someone so small. Does anyone have experience with this? Should we just not take him on the boat until next summer? Any other suggestions?

There's a few threads on this. I had my son out last summer at 2 months. I would say get a neoprene life jacket as they are more comfortable for the baby, less bulky, and work well. I can't remember how much he weighed at the time, but he was only 4 1/2 lbs when he was born if that helps. He was tiny and the "up to 30lb" life jacket fit him fine.

TMCNo1
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Our granddaughter Maddie went out for her first boat ride @ CSM '07 when she was 9 months with one of the up to 30 lb child life preservers. It took her a few minutes to accept it and get used to it, but after that she was good to go.

flipper
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh, I have the hyperlite, and got it from barts IIRC

flipper
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Here's the one I was looking for

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21886&highlight=infant+life+vest

chudson
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Ask his doctor about sunburn protection first!!!

PapaJoe
03-24-2009, 11:39 AM
The bouncing can be rough on a new born... BE CAREFUL!!!

MUST have US Cost Guard flotation vest, or more like a device...

These things are big, bulky, and very hot for the kido....

The heat is rough on the kido....

I'd wait til about JUL or AUG - kido will be a little bit more durable....

Oh-Yea - Sun Screen...

Sun burned kido = miserable parents......

We waited a year until we took ours out....

Alot of effort, and mom was too occupied with keeping the kid happy to enjoy herself....

JOE

dpolen
03-24-2009, 12:17 PM
If you've got a bimini top, put it to work. We take the babies out of the lifejackets when we're beached to allow them to get out of the confinement of the jacket for a while and just let them sleep in their carseat.

2RLAKE
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
we had out first on the water when he was 6 ... 6 weeks that is. Bimini is a must. Start them young

flipper
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
We would lay wet towels on my son too, keep him cool so he wouldn't get too hot wearing his vest. One under him, one over him. Kept him happy

VOLFAN
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Our little one has been on the water since he was 6 months old. Keep the sun screen (when using the spray kind be sure to shake it up before use)on them, try to keep them under the bimini too. I also have a small fan that we will plug up and let blow on him when he is taking a nap. I am always a little extra cautious when he or another child is in the boat as well and drive at a lower rate of speed when going from place to place. We are lucky our son loves the lake and gets very excited about being near or on the lake or in the boat. I am glad that he enjoys it and hope he continues to enjoy it. That way I can continue to have a good reason to be at the lake. There is nothing like time out with family and friends on the water.

Congrats on the new addition to your family and happy and safe boating!

Jesus_Freak
03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
My wife and I just welcomed our new baby into the world on January 22nd and he is doing awesome.

Congrats and excellent news!

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
i hear the little ones do better up front... i've been told that it becomes hard for a small child to breathe w/ wind blowing directly in their face

o and congratulations on the new arrival... hope and prayers for good health

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
My son has always loved being in and on the water. The best part of the small PFDs is the large grab handle on the back. It gives you a little feeling of security, and a good handle when they get big enough to want to move around.

scott023
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Great points... we will be boating with a baby for the first time this summer as well, so this is very useful for us. Keep the tips coming...:)

Muttley
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
There was a thread on baby swim a while ago. I would definitely recommend sigining the kid up. Besides the PFD, sunscreen and a bimini or parasol, for sure.

I would think starting off with short trips would be great. My daughter slept like a ...um, baby when we took her out. She'd curl up under the bow with her blankie.

You may want to avoid spending the entire day out on the water at first.

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM
a girl i dated for a bit had a 2 yr old... kaitlyn (the 2 yr old) slept the whole time it seemed like... we were out for about 3-4 hrs and the constant humm of the motor and she was done

WishIWasSkiing
03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I still get a little drowsy after being in the boat with the engine running for a while. If I ever have kids I know what I'll be doing to put them to sleep...

scott023
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
a girl i dated for a bit had a 2 yr old... kaitlyn (the 2 yr old) slept the whole time it seemed like... we were out for about 3-4 hrs and the constant humm of the motor and she was done

Same thing happens to me when I'm on someone else's boat... I guess I'll have tp learn to stay awake now that I'll be operating. LOL

brucemac
03-24-2009, 02:27 PM
congrats!!!

had our youngest out at 2 months. bought the Bijou life vest for him (best and most comfortable infant vest on the market imo) and bought a UV blocking shade for his car seat. we used the car seat base from the car and would set him in his car seat on the floor or up in the seat UN-BUCKLED with his Bijou on. we were always very careful about crossing wakes, rollers, etc, but other than that it was fun and he got some good snoozes in during the cruising around. fun stuff.

WakePowell
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Our son is still figuring out the boat. He was 8 weeks old when the new X-45 arrived. He enjoyed the delivery cruise but was disappointed that the flip up bolster seat did not provide him the height he needed to drive. Maybe this summer will be different.....

So far all of the advice has been great. We're planning on having several 12V fans in the interior and also bought the bimini towel clips from Overtons which will allow us to maximize the amount of shade inside the boat by clipping beach towels to the bimini when were not running. The neoprene infant vest is a must but its still very bulky. We are looking at getting him a full swim suit with built in floatation so that he has more mobility and protection from the sun. These suits are made out of the same material surfing rash guards are and have built in foam floatation.

Keep the tips coming!

cbryan70
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Once he starts getting in the water and is a bit older get one of these....as long as you are swimming with him which is a given. Makes the baby alot happier. it is coast guard approved as well.
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/dimg/thm/t_348x400_53d751d69fba70f43fc4ef22a53b94fa.jpg
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STR3864&k=78025

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Check out those swim suits with flotation carefully - most are not coast guard approved.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Outside of the life jacket issue, which many have covered in length, I was more worried about the sun on my daughter. I don't think we had boat when she was little but we had a Sea-Doo and would take her to the lake but not on the craft. We always had an easy-up for her portable play-pen so she could stay out of the sun. I'm sure a bimini would do the say. We never put sun screan on her until she was 7 months old so it was a hugh deal for us to keep her out of the sun's rays.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
double post

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
There was a thread on baby swim a while ago. I would definitely recommend sigining the kid up. Besides the PFD, sunscreen and a bimini or parasol, for sure.

I would think starting off with short trips would be great. My daughter slept like a ...um, baby when we took her out. She'd curl up under the bow with her blankie.

You may want to avoid spending the entire day out on the water at first.

I know I can't find a source but I was told that using sun screan on kids younger then six months old was not a good idea. I went with that and kept my daughter out of the sun.

Here is an thread about it. I belive they say the manufacture does not recommend using it on babies under six months.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,3q6f,00.html

And

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/baby_sunscreen.htm

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
The car seat doubles as the boat seat, put the little one behind the drivers seat. Our car seat also had a screen that pulled a canopy thing over the seat, never really needed sun screen except when he was being held. Mine slept all the I guess due to the rocking of the boat.

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I think we had our little ones out at the 6 month point. Find a good vest. In 2004 this HO was all the rage on TeamTalk!:D I think I passed it onto Beau for Parker.

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Once or twice, we took the vest off for some "action shots."

For this particular photo let me translate what Cody is thinking:

"Hey East Tx Skier check me out...by the way, real men drive MasterCrafts."

brucemac
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
that's cute! cute kid!

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Also, be careful babies like Cuervo... (saw this as I was scanning for the others).

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 06:50 PM
that's cute! cute kid!

Thx Mac...he's an old man now at 4.5 and a girlfriend even!

brucemac
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
ha ha! cute kid. you're lucky. mine keep me very busy, but worth every minute of it. :)

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, he and his older sister are giving me plenty of grays but worth every bit of it!

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Takes after mom?? :D

SchuyHigh
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
For the life of me I conld not figure out what was missing..... it was the life jacket.

Seriously, get 'em out now and enjoy. He'll sleep anytime the boat is in motion though.

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Also, be careful babies like Cuervo... (saw this as I was scanning for the others).

Like father like son??:D

brucemac
03-24-2009, 08:01 PM
okay, well since we're all being proud papas :)
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7651/dscn2397large2.jpg

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Good looking kid there Mac!

BriEOD
03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Like father like son??:D

No, in this case his mom. In fact, I'm quite sure some tequila at a 2003 Christmas party led to his conception.

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
No, in this case his mom. In fact, I'm quite sure some tequila at a 2003 Christmas party led to his conception.

That is classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

brucemac
03-24-2009, 09:03 PM
ha ha ha ha !!!

ckornutiak
03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
My girls were about 6months old when they were first out on a boat. But it was crusing on the pontoon only. The sun and waves can be pretty hard on them so you just have to use common sense.

They're both on slalom's now at 7 and 9.

east tx skier
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Right on! One of my favorite pictures!

Our newest edition got his first short boat trip on Sunday. Like clockwork, he fell right asleep. But he was properly indoctrinated!

mrprostar
03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Not a boat pic, but the child who sparked the question.

OnH204Ever
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
We have 3 kids and all were out in small life jackets, in fact I still have them. 2 were born in June and the other in April. If you keep looking you will find one that will fit a 10-20 pound child.

brucemac
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
here's the bijiou

http://www.mountainbaby.com/item.php/Salus_Bijoux.html

cf_koch
03-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Our daughter was born May 22 and we had her on the boat by late June. We always had the bimini up, applied alot of sunscreen (approved by Dr.), and kept our trips fairly short. She never (well rarely) complained about the PFD. Almost anytime the boat was moving she would fall asleep. We also brought the car seat with us so she would be comfortable but if memory serves me right she spent most of her time on the floor between the drivers and observers seat or Mom's lap. I'd post pics but since she is now 11 they are not on this computer.

We didn't get much skiing in but time on the water was always a highlight of our week.

flipper
03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I know I can't find a source but I was told that using sun screan on kids younger then six months old was not a good idea. I went with that and kept my daughter out of the sun.

Here is an thread about it. I belive they say the manufacture does not recommend using it on babies under six months.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,3q6f,00.html

And

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/baby_sunscreen.htm

I read a lot of the same stuff the first time we took our baby out. I talked to his doc, who told us what to use, and how much, and that it would be fine. One thing she did say was to try a small spot a couple times, make sure they won't have a reaction before smearing it all over them.

She also said, because he was so small, don't put him in the water. I would go over everything with the doc, and get the dues and don'ts from them as every kid is different. Just keep the baby in the shade, cool, and covered up and you'll be fine. Have fun

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Not a boat pic, but the child who sparked the question.

Cute boy there, did you get some bindings for his size yet?

mrprostar
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah found a 16" ski and some newborn bindings, but all the rope handles are too thick. Maybe duck tape will work.