PDA

View Full Version : Starter & Solenoid Tip of the Day

wesgardner
05-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey All,

My starter has been giving me the "click" sometimes when trying to start and really seemed to just be "tired" although the starter was rebuilt at the end of last season (with new solenoid). I had taken the solenoid apart and filed down all the areas where arcing has occured.

The culprit - the wire from my key switch to the "S" terminal on the solenoid was the cause of my starter solenoid's "clicking" sound. Seems if this wire is not making PERFECT contact at both ends, delivering the correct amount of current, you'll get the "click of death". My starter now seems to run like a champ after being quite persnicity, slow starting, often making the clicking noise.

So if you're having some starter difficulties, this may be a good wire to rerun. Mine "looked good" at both ends, but apparently the connection was just not quite positive enough.

I had cleaned all the mating metal surfaces to achieve a good ground (apparently this is overlooked quite often).

Wes

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I have a starter relay on order from Skidim. Mine is making the same clicking sound even after the new starter install :rolleyes:

wesgardner
05-16-2005, 09:51 PM
jrandol,

My starter/alternator/anything electric motor guys at Mammock's Motor Electric in good ole Annapolis Maryland (home of the Nasal Cavity) gave me that tip...I had had my starter and alternator rebuilt (by them) and called them on the phone with the symptoms and after discussing doing a thourough job on making sure everything else was in order(including the "ground" side of the equation), they told me to go look at that wire and BE SURE its good - so I just ran a new one to take any guess work out of it and VOILA!!! - now granted I've only tried to start the motor about 20 times, but it worked EVERY time and it seemed much stronger...what can I say...

Wes

scott88prostar
05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
These are the posts I love! :popcorn: great info thanks for passing it on!