PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Advice needed on stock 2008 x2

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I currently have the stock JL interior speakers, with 10" sub and two tower speakers, here is my senerio. I just purchased a JL 1000/1 amp (since I got a killer deal on it) and I need to complement it with some subs or make a decision on which ave to take.
Here are my options so far.

a.) 1-12"JLW7 with the 1000/1 amp
b.) 2-12"JLW6 with the 1000/1 amp
c.) since I got the amp for a killer deal sell it (make some money) and get a JL m1700 marine amp complement it with JL marine 10" subs maybe 4
d.) get the m1700 with wetsounds 10 or 12" sub or sub's (how many? anyone have
experience with these?)
e.)other??

Im also going to swap out the two 7.7" JL's from the tower and install the 7.7" bullets since they are HLCD's, we need more noise out at 75' when riding...

All advice on experiences, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mpabreo
03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Now you're talking... Thats an incredible amp. If you decide to sell it I may be interested. My comments on your options...

a) W7's are the best sub on the market. Expensive, competetion style sub. Push one of these things with a 1000/1 and you'll have trouble breathing during bass notes. If you're sitting next to the sub you can actually feel the air moving in your lungs. Crazy stuff man, but if you're looking for a top notch system this is the way to go.

b) W6's are the next best thing to W7's, less expensive, more practical and IMO the best for the money of any sub. If you're limited on airspace, go with the W7, otherwise 2 12W6s will be an equally good setup as one W7, perhaps slightly better.

c) The difference between a)/b) and c) are like talking apples to jelly beans. Totally different.

d) I have no experience with wetsounds, but if its a marine sub, same comment as c).

As for the tower, if you're doing a) or b), you'll definitely want at least 4 tower speakers. The bass will completely drown a 4-6 speaker setup.

My plan for stereo upgrade is the stock 8 speaker setup (4 cabin JL's and 4 tower JL's with factory amps) with either your a) or b) for low end. I'm going to just unplug the factory marine sub.

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Now you're talking... Thats an incredible amp. If you decide to sell it I may be interested. My comments on your options...

a) W7's are the best sub on the market. Expensive, competetion style sub. Push one of these things with a 1000/1 and you'll have trouble breathing during bass notes. If you're sitting next to the sub you can actually feel the air moving in your lungs. Crazy stuff man, but if you're looking for a top notch system this is the way to go.

b) W6's are the next best thing to W7's, less expensive, more practical and IMO the best for the money of any sub. If you're limited on airspace, go with the W7, otherwise 2 12W6s will be an equally good setup as one W7, perhaps slightly better.

c) The difference between a)/b) and c) are like talking apples to jelly beans. Totally different.

d) I have no experience with wetsounds, but if its a marine sub, same comment as c).

As for the tower, if you're doing a) or b), you'll definitely want at least 4 tower speakers. The bass will completely drown a 4-6 speaker setup.

My plan for stereo upgrade is the stock 8 speaker setup (4 cabin JL's and 4 tower JL's with factory amps) with either your a) or b) for low end. I'm going to just unplug the factory marine sub.

Mpabreo-do you think the W7 will be a little too much as far as vibration in the boat? I love the sub's from the reviews ive read, only thing is they are not marine grade. I live in the midwest so no salt, only concern will be humidity, im curious on how fast things will start to corrode? Also Im not going to dround it in water but may need to do something special (custom enclosure) so that water from people sitting on the seats dont leak possibly on it.

My other thought was to keep the 1000/1 since I can put it under the observers seat up high on the wall so no water will get to it and run some marine subs around the undersides of the seats however not sure.

brucemac
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
i would take a step back and look at space requirements for the box that you'll need to build for a single 12W7, sealed or ported, and make sure you have the space. according to JL you can't run a single 12W6 with the 1000/1 because it's only rated at around 500-700W, you could do 2 however, but again consider space. just something to consider.

mpabreo
03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Mpabreo-do you think the W7 will be a little too much as far as vibration in the boat? I love the sub's from the reviews ive read, only thing is they are not marine grade. I live in the midwest so no salt, only concern will be humidity, im curious on how fast things will start to corrode? Also Im not going to dround it in water but may need to do something special (custom enclosure) so that water from people sitting on the seats dont leak possibly on it.

My other thought was to keep the 1000/1 since I can put it under the observers seat up high on the wall so no water will get to it and run some marine subs around the undersides of the seats however not sure.

Vibration shouldn't be a problem, you will however have to tighten screws and such in nearby compartments every couple months. Don't worry about them being marine grade, I have been using non-marine grade subs in my boats for 7 years with no problems. Just make sure they cant get wet. A compartment under a seat is fine as long as theres not potential for water to get directly on the box/sub/amp.

As for the marine subs, I'm not a fan at all of them cause the quality is just not what it is with a car sub, plus that amp is way overkill for even a few subs. The 1000/1 is a MONSTER.

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree brucemac.

What do current X2 (pickle fork style) people put in these boats and where? Im sure alot stay stock but for the few that want more lets hear it!

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
i'm planning on putting a w7 in mine under the passenger seat... (provided my ballast addition doesn't take up too much room)... i'm planning on building an an enclosure... i will double wall it and design it so that it will fire down... i also plan to have it rhino lined or coated w/ line-x so that the coating will protect the "back" of the speaker and will prevent the fiberboard from soaking up water and becoming toilet paper

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
wake2wake- which w7 10" or 12"? What are you going to power it with? Are you going to port it under the seat (cut a hole in fiberglass to let the air out?)

craig3972
03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
best to build enclosures from 5/8" or 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. very dense, no voids and does not absorb moisture. You can also get fireproof MDF which is highly water resistant.

1000 watt amp doesnt have to be turned up all the way ... you can run the gain at less than 100%

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
i think i'm just going to go w/ a 10"... i think it will be plenty... when i get my ballast in that will be the most of my storage and i'll be hurting for room at that point... i've got a 1000 watt amp i'm going to use and i hadn't planned on it... basically trying to avoid it... i'm going to do a sealed enclosure too so hopefully there won't be as much need for the port in the wall... i could be wrong... i'm just going to mess w/ it until i get it right

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I think im going to go down today and listen to the w7's...

Craig- I agree maybe I just dont run it that high, and if I want it I can (guess it is better to have more should you want it than not enough)

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
guess it is better to have more should you want it than not enough

and that sir is why you do not own a moomba

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
yes sir!!!!

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone have wetsound sub experience??

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
i've heard and read lots of good things but have no personal experience... i do know that a w7 will rock your face off

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
so wake2wake when are you installing yours? You gotta take some pics when you do...

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
i will for sure...

i'm hopefully gonna de-winterize this week and hopefully get all that checked this weekend and then do ballast next week then i'll look into buying the speaker and all that... so basically... i don't know yet

djhuff
03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
As far as the amp being too much for a W6, I'll call bullhonkey. You very rarely hear of a speaker blowing because of too much power, mostly it's the opposite. That, and the amp won't be making the full 1000 watts unless you have a pretty good sized battery bank (more than one extra), and even then it won't be for long unless you upgrade the alternator.

Different style, but I have been feeding a pair of JBL tower speakers (pro audio) that are rated for 250W rms each with an amp rated at 600W rms per channel for a little over 10 years with absolutely no problems. I've also fried an 18" sub rated at 1000W with that amp because I overdrove the amp (gain got doubled, took about .1 second to fry it).

Bottom line, if you can swing the $$$, buy the W7, that way you won't ever be sitting around thinking that you should have done more.

brucemac
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Anyone have wetsound sub experience??

i may upgrade to their XXX next year. i just got done installing their Syn6 amp, a pair of Pro 80's and their WS420. also upgraded all my old clarions to new Polk MM6501's. it sounds ridiculous. i have an image dynamics 10in IDQ sub in a 1.25 cubic foot ported box under the dash. it sounds awesome, but i may redo it next year and upgrade to the XXX. Tim and his crew over at WS are top notch and their customer service is incredible.

As far as the amp being too much for a W6, I'll call bullhonkey.

hey i hear ya, i'm just saying the 1000/1 is best suited for the W7 and was simply going off of their recommended power rating chart. :)

kycat2007
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs
listen to that boat's wet sounds setup

TheOneandOnly
03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
what do they all have in it?

kbrew
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
just put in four pro 80's this weekend and can say without a doubt that it is the loudest and cleanest sounding product on the market. also in the seating area on the x star i put two wet sounds 10" facing each other, they sound way better than any other free air i have heard. i just wasn't willing to give up the storage for a enclosed box somewhere. the whole system is pushing over 3 thousands watts and totally recomend wet sounds to anyone

brucemac
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
nice kbrew :)

how much are you feeding your 80's? 2-ohm parallel, or 4-ohm 1:1 channel? you should post up some pics!

kbrew
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
wet sounds recomended a syn 2 for each pair of 80's. they were right. also when setting all the levels on the amps, tech service will walk you through it all.

pics soon
just put it all in this weekend
still have to put in back in the water on fri

brucemac
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
right on, yeah post up some pics. those guys are aweomse. can't say enough good things about their products and their customer service. many emails to Tim, Justin and Gyver. :)

i bought there Syn6 and am running 200W to each of my 80's (1-4 bridged) and then 600W (5&6 bridged) to my sub. sounds great.