PDA

View Full Version : Gas/fuel Gauge/Tank sending units?

CantRepeat
03-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I've got that 92 Maristar. The fuel gauge stop working at the end of last year. I'm done the diagnostic work and I know the sending unit is bad.

The question is: skidim sells a replacement for the tube style that I have.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=153260

Has anyone used this? I much prefer paying a couple extra bucks for factory parts rather then changing to unproven tech. I haven't priced a factory replacement yet. Rambo Marine is closed on Mondays so I'll get that tomorrow.

flipper
03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I put one from ski dim in my boat, works great. One your old one, you may get away with sanding the float on the inside. I've done that before too. The float swells up, and gets stuck in the tube. Sand a little off and free it up if it's sticking

east tx skier
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I put one from ski dim in my boat, works great. One your old one, you may get away with sanding the float on the inside. I've done that before too. The float swells up, and gets stuck in the tube. Sand a little off and free it up if it's sticking

If you're planning to install the new one yourself, I'd try this first. You'll have to remove it anyway, so try to shave the old one down first and save $80.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 04:58 AM

Cool, I've got the old one out and it is sticking inside the tube. Not that I look to very long, but how do you open the tube?

JimN
03-24-2009, 05:21 AM
You should see two small Phillips screws at the bottom, holding a plastic disc in place. Once that's off, you can tap the tube in the palm of your hand and the float should slide out. You don't want to bang it too hard because the float has two small magnets glued to it. Once the float is out, you can use the edge of a file to open the slots a bit. You'll know it it works because it will slide freely all the way to the top. When that's done, put the bottom back on and re-install the sender.

The new sender (153260) is the part MC went to in '99/'00. In '99, it was a three wire sender (basically the same, other than that) and in '00, they switched to the 2 wire model. MC parts often use the generic part number and add 81, so this part can be ordered from an MC dealer as 81153260. This is the longer of the senders that are available and I only stocked this because it can be cut to fit and I didn't need to stock other parts that would A) invariably be the wrong one when I needed it fast and B) tied up inventory dollars.

CantRepeat
03-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jim I'll go take a look at it now.

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I check out my sender and it is the tube type but does not have the two small screws on the bottow so I think I'm kind of screwed.

flipper
03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
It's been a while, but I thought on mine, the whole top came off. There must be a way to get in there.

Muttley
03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
On my '92, the bottom cap of the tube was glued. Mine was already coming off so I pulled (broke the rest of the glue) the cap off, pulled the float out, sanded it and reglued it with G2 epoxy. In my case, the magnets came out. They go in the slot of the float.

I put pics on this site somewhere...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/MuttleyC90/StuckFloat.jpg

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
On my '92, the bottom cap of the tube was glued. Mine was already coming off so I pulled (broke the rest of the glue) the cap off, pulled the float out, sanded it and reglued it with G2 epoxy. In my case, the magnets came out. They go in the slot of the float.

I put pics on this site somewhere...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/MuttleyC90/StuckFloat.jpg

Awesome photo, Muttley! It kind of looks like your tube is made of some material other then metal, is that the case? Let me look at mine a little closer and see if it's glued on.

BOATNGUYNE
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
92Maristar.... Left you a PM

Muttley
03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Awesome photo, Muttley! It kind of looks like your tube is made of some material other then metal, is that the case? Let me look at mine a little closer and see if it's glued on.

Mine's plastic.

CantRepeat
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
OK, has anyone out there used the replacement fuel sender that needed to be cut and recalibrated? If so, was it terribly difficult to do it?