PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue...

M-Funf
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Had the boat out Friday and had a problem that I had seen before, but not this much. Turn the key, nothing happens. Wiggle the throttle, nothing. Turn the key on and off several times and shift in and out of neutral several times and eventually, it will crank and start...

Battery is fully charged. Ignition switch is only a year old (had to replace it when my keys were stolen from the car)

By "nothing" I mean nothing, no click, no solenoid trying to fire, nothing.

Can the neutral safety switch act up like this?

flipper
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Not sure, but it's easy to bypass the kill switch and see what happens. Same goes for the neutral switch. I'd start bypassing one thing at a time before you go buy anything. Even though the ignition switch is new, I'd still check that with a meter, and check the connections on that.

Are you sure the battery has a good connection? Same thing happened on my friends boat and the battery cables were a little loose.

M-Funf
03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Not sure, but it's easy to bypass the kill switch and see what happens. Same goes for the neutral switch. I'd start bypassing one thing at a time before you go buy anything. Even though the ignition switch is new, I'd still check that with a meter, and check the connections on that.

Are you sure the battery has a good connection? Same thing happened on my friends boat and the battery cables were a little loose.

I don't have a kill switch on my boat. I know the battery connection is good.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check 'em all out.

ski_king
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
My guess is the Neutral Safety Switch, for your boat it should cost about $25.

Gamble
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
My guess is the Neutral Safety Switch, for your boat it should cost about $25.

I agree w/ski king..........on my 83, I found that if I sprayed some lubricant near the knob that you pull to put it in neutral, that would fix my problem. Only had to do this once, and it fixed it..........before that, I'd have to jiggle the throttle back and forth a few times to get it to start.

east tx skier
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Neutral switch would be my guess, but you might double check your ignition connections under the dash. When I got my new boat, I tightened up the ignition and wiggled one of the connections loose in the process. Alway start looking at the last thing you did.

denverd1
03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
sounds like NSS to me. should be able to adjust the cable at the trans, if that is the problem.

Willski
03-24-2009, 09:03 PM
My boat started doing that intermittantly last year. I suspected the NSS also. Hasnt' gotten worse.

JUST-IN-TIME
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
NSS or key switch