PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid change 94 PS190 w/ powerslot

Craig
03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey guys,

So I just purchased this boat, it has about 830hrs on it, LT1 engine.

I am in the process of changing all the fluids and I would like to change the transmission fluid but I am hesitant. I know in cars it is sometimes recommended to leave the fluid alone if it has been in there so long. I am wondering if that is the case for boats as well.

I have no idea if the fluid has ever been changed. It is still red, does not smell burned, but is sort of cloudy.

Should I go ahead and swap it for some new or leave it alone?

Thanks!

russlars
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I would recommend changing the fluid. Should be Dexon III/Mercon. I usually change mine out every year. It is an easy job if you have one of those suction extractors. Just make sure that you put the same amount in that you take out and verify with the dipstick.

flipper
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I would change it. Just in case you haven't seen this thread, take a look.

It's getting cold/warm outside, what do I need to do to winterize/dewinterize my boat?

Muttley
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Cloudy = water. I'd be changing it. I change mine every year as well.

barefoot
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I would change it. Just in case you haven't seen this thread, take a look.

It's getting cold/warm outside, what do I need to do to winterize/dewinterize my boat?

Try this link...it's the same link as quoted above by flipper:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6

barefoot
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
And if you don't have the original owners manual for the boat, you should be able to find it here:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103131&postcount=2

It will tell you what trans fluid to use.

flipper
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM

oops, thanks, I didn't realize I screwed that up:o

Craig
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Ok, I felt like I should change it, I will go ahead. Dextron III is the recommended fluid and I have done this using those small drill operated gear pumps they seem to be the best way to go.

Water in the transmission sounds horrible, anything I should be watching for? I have been up and down that engine in the driveway, even idling with the fake-a-lake, haven't seen any leaks.

So, is there a point where you would NOT change the oil?

Although I have never had any first-hand experience with this, I understand that if the transmission fluid in a car/truck is in there for long enough the grit that builds up in the fluid can wear down parts to a point where the transmission begins to depend on the grit in the fluid. So when you change it out, you basically wreck your transmission.

Maybe that is an old wives tale, I'm not sure.

Automotive transmissions are exponentially more complicated and likely run at higher temperatures, which breaks down fluid. So I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if it just never matters in these boats with the very simple transmissions.

Craig
03-23-2009, 07:14 PM

I think easttxskier's links are broken...

east tx skier
03-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Reloading all of the stuff I hosted myself for a while is on my to do list.

Craig
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok, I felt like I should change it, I will go ahead. Dextron III is the recommended fluid and I have done this using those small drill operated gear pumps they seem to be the best way to go.

Water in the transmission sounds horrible, anything I should be watching for? I have been up and down that engine in the driveway, even idling with the fake-a-lake, haven't seen any leaks.

Although I have never had any first-hand experience with this, I understand that if the transmission fluid in a car/truck is in there for long enough the grit that builds up in the fluid can wear down parts to a point where the transmission begins to depend on the grit in the fluid. So when you change it out, you basically wreck your transmission.

Automotive transmissions are exponentially more complicated and likely run at higher temperatures, which breaks down fluid. So I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if it just never matters in these boats with the very simple transmissions.

bump.bump.

trickskier
03-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I would definitely change it.......I always used Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF in my 98-ProStar and changed it once a year.

Craig
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
So I am resurrecting this thread because the problem does not seem to have gone away.

I went ahead and replaced the fluid using a drill pump, I am not sure precisely how much fluid I got out, but it is roughly 2 quarts.

At any rate, I have ran it on the water twice now since the change and my transmission fluid looks like this:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww174/h2oski1326/IMG_1163Medium.jpg

My first thought was the transmission cooler has a crack in it. The way this boat was maintained before me, I would not be too surprised at that....

I also thought maybe it is just because I could not get enough fluid out (it has a 3 quart capacity, reported, and I put 2 back in. Is there a way to flush the transmission, to make sure I got all the nasty stuff out?

There is no fluid in the bilge, and the relief valve on the top of the transmission looks clean. Any thoughts?

Craig
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Anyone??

Does that look like there is a ton of water in there?

I think I am going to test the cooler for leaks, and swap the fluid again.

Should I be concerned that there was a lot of water in the tranny for an undetermined amount of time? Should I be expecting it to blow up on me someday?

Thanks.

Jerseydave
04-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Anyone??

Does that look like there is a ton of water in there?

I think I am going to test the cooler for leaks, and swap the fluid again.

Should I be concerned that there was a lot of water in the tranny for an undetermined amount of time? Should I be expecting it to blow up on me someday?

Thanks.

Try pouring that fluid into a glass jar, if there is water it will sink to the bottom of the jar.
Testing the cooler is a good idea, not sure how much $$ a new one is but might be worth replacing anyway.
As long as the cooler is not leaking, all you can do at this point is change the fluid every year and hope for the best.

03 35th Anniversary
04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
With the way you drained it, you probably still have some of the old fluid in the trans that mixed with the new....

Craig
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

TMCNo1
04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
You can take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure check it and they may or not be able to repair it, if it has a leak. If it's not repairable, a inboard boat dealer can sell/order you one or you can get one here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1099

JimN
04-25-2009, 12:27 PM

These transmissions, being a lot more simple than what's in a car, react differently from old fluid but it's still not good to leave it in for too long. Going by the photo of the cooler in the bucket, it doesn't have much water in it but it does look like it has some. I would pressure test the cooler first and then change the fluid twice. If it's still cloudy, change it again. Buy the fluid in gallon containers to lower the cost.

What's in the bucket looks like it only has a little water in it, as I posted. When it looks like a strawberry shake, start worrying ( I worked on a few like that).