PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Repair

stx22
03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Anyone ever had their platform start to fall apart? I have the older teak platform with the multiple slats. I cleaned it with a wood cleaner two weeks ago and when I went to sand today, almost all of the little slats, or spacers, were loose.
The more important question, is if anyone who has seen this has had any luck with repairs. I am hesitant to remove the screws and glue the pieces back in. I'm pretty sure that would end up looking like crap.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

coz
03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Anyone ever had their platform start to fall apart? I have the older teak platform with the multiple slats. I cleaned it with a wood cleaner two weeks ago and when I went to sand today, almost all of the little slats, or spacers, were loose.
The more important question, is if anyone who has seen this has had any luck with repairs. I am hesitant to remove the screws and glue the pieces back in. I'm pretty sure that would end up looking like crap.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Did you try trying tightning the screws? :confused:

stx22
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, the screws aren't the problem. It is almost as if the teak shrunk while it was drying. They are loose everywhere except for where the screws are holding them. Seems to be across the platform; both sides and the row in the center.

ski_king
03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I had a simular problem with my platform.
The short pieces were not screwed on, and were sandwiched between longer full length pieces. I believethere was some glue or adhesive holding it in place.

As the platform got older and dried out over the winter a couple of the pieces could be lifted right out from between the long slats. I glued them back on using Gorella Glue. This glue has held great, but be careful if you use it as it not to use too much as it will ose out and be visable.

stx22
03-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks King. I did some repairs (major crack) a couple of years ago with gorrilla glue. It has held up the last 6 or so years, but never looked very good. Did you get them secured while still looking decent?

ski_king
03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Just go easy on the glue and have some solvent handy in case some seeps out.

Once you get using the boat and the platform sucks up some water, it should hold find, or at least mine holds fine.

stx22
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Any solvent recommendations for use with Gorilla Glue? I think I would have been better off buying a new one this year. I stil have to put my new skins on and install the new stargazer. Looks like I may not be skiing until July.

ski_king
03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't remember wat I used, but most likley it was acetone.

Post a photo of your platform showingthe loose slat.

coz
03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Before you get gorilla ooooz all over check this out. I like GG but this is better for looks and strength if ya ask me :D It's waterproof.

http://www.cws.au.com/persistent/catalogue_images/products/eubzim7r.jpg

TX.X-30 fan
03-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Sounds like time for a new boat and with Rewards there is no reason to put off the purchase.

TMCNo1
03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't remember wat I used, but most likley it was acetone.

Post a photo of your platform showing the loose slat.

FWIW, every couple years ours need all the screws tightened as many a 1 1/2 to 2 turns. I thinks it's just a way of life, but luckily I've never had to do any gluing.

stx22
03-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Hate to post my teak on here, but...

stx22
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Where I had to counter sink and screw the platform back together... I'm not proud of it, but I can usually get it looking pretty good before opening day.

New boat? Only got 500 hours on it. Pretty short season up here.

TMCNo1
03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
If your handy at woodworking and wish to replace your broken piece on the platform, http://teakworldenterprises.samsbiz.com/, can either supply you with piece of teak to use to make a new piece for the rear or they probably can make a direct replacement piece. It may be worth a call.

stx22
03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks No1. Oddly, I was looking on some old posts and was thinking about giving them a call tomorrow. I did not know that they could/would make replacement pieces. I am just worried about a "replacement" piece looking too off. Do they do transom savers as well?

TMCNo1
03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks No1. Oddly, I was look on some old posts and was thinking abou giving them a call tomorrow. I did not know that they could/would make replacement pieces. I am just worried about a "replacement" piece looking too off. Do they do transom savers as well?

IIRC, yes they do, or if not, they can send you a board to make one from.
After the new teak pieces are installed, is cleaned, brightened and sanded good, then oiled, I don't see how the pieces would be that far off, being one piece will be at the transom and the other will be on the outside edge. If you haven't seen the thread, look how well 92 Maristar's platform turned out in his thread here, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=28941

stx22
03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I wish I had taken the time to get the before pics on mine. What is the advantage of a transom saver? I buff and wax the boat every spring and the gel coat is fine (no scratches).

TMCNo1
03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I wish I had taken the time to get the before pics on mine. What is the advantage of a transom saver? I buff and wax the boat every spring and the gel coat is fine (no scratches).

A transom saver aids in preventing skis, wakeboards and the like from hitting the transom and leaving marks and creating scratches.

stx22
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
That makes sense, should have figured that out...

canadianskier
03-22-2009, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1;583007]A transom saver aids in preventing skis, wakeboards and the like from hitting the transom and leaving marks and creating scratches

so does a swift hit to the head of the offending person, and a few choice words

stx22
03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I usually load rookies from the dock so that nobody gets hurt. I thought Canadians were nicer than that... at least when they are not on the ice.

canadianskier
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
sorry about that stx22, we are nicer than that. and I have only done that once

JohnE
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
What lake are you on, STX?

CantRepeat
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
That platform will easily come out to standard if you follow No1's instructions. The only thing I did differently was to sand day with 220 until all the old oil(dark black areas) was gone and then started at the 400 wet point. I'm was stalled after the 600 grit and third coat because I had to go to an auto paint supplier to get finer paper. Even then all I could get was 800, 1200, and 1500. He had no 200 in stock, I order some to complete this refresh.

I don't think you will have any issues with getting your old wood to look like new.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before3c.jpg

stx22
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=92Maristar;583218]That platform will easily come out to standard if you follow No1's instructions. The only thing I did differently was to sand day with 220 until all the old oil(dark black areas) was gone and then started at the 400 wet point. I'm was stalled after the 600 grit and third coat because I had to go to an auto paint supplier to get finer paper. Even then all I could get was 800, 1200, and 1500. He had no 200 in stock, I order some to complete this refresh.

I don't think you will have any issues with getting your old wood to look like new.

Looks good 92.

As for me, I'm not so sure about getting to the standard since it is pretty banged up. But, I did take No1's advice and ordered two "replacement" pieces from Teak World. No matter what, it will be better that it was.

east tx skier
03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
That platform will easily come out to standard if you follow No1's instructions. The only thing I did differently was to sand day with 220 until all the old oil(dark black areas) was gone and then started at the 400 wet point. I'm was stalled after the 600 grit and third coat because I had to go to an auto paint supplier to get finer paper. Even then all I could get was 800, 1200, and 1500. He had no 200 in stock, I order some to complete this refresh.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before3c.jpg

Tim, that looks very nice. One thought, you can buy teak plugs online. Drill out those holes on top a little bit, put some mineral spirits in there to remove any latent oil, dip your teak plug in epoxy and pound it flush with a rubber mallet. Sand and oil and it's nearly seamless.

liquidforceb069
03-24-2009, 02:18 AM
i have chunks missing from mine. im sending my away to a company that refurbishes them for 125$ thats fixing all the broken pieces and re teaking it

stx22
03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
i have chunks missing from mine. im sending my away to a company that refurbishes them for 125$ thats fixing all the broken pieces and re teaking it

Got the name of that outfit? That seems pretty reasonable considering I am going to spend more on the teak alone, not to mention time, materials, etc...

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Tim, that looks very nice. One thought, you can buy teak plugs online. Drill out those holes on top a little bit, put some mineral spirits in there to remove any latent oil, dip your teak plug in epoxy and pound it flush with a rubber mallet. Sand and oil and it's nearly seamless.

The holes are covered by the grab rail that is used on the 92 Maristars. There is stainless steel collar that goes around the screw that makes that ring. When installed you can't even see the holes.

But, I'll look at the teak plugs and use them in the screw holes for the transom saver. Thanks for the info.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/grabrails.jpg

stx22
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
So, i ordered some "replacement" teak, but I had already begun fixing some of the loose pieces that couldn't be screwed tight and... long story short, I removed the repair of the old split plank, sanded off the gorilla glue, used the titebond III, and went from there. It looks better then it has in the past 6 years and you can barely tell the plank is split.

I plan on making a transom saver with the new teak and using the left over for spare parts. Does anyone have a picture, or the deminesions for a transom saver on a platform of the this era ('97 PS)?

east tx skier
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
The holes are covered by the grab rail that is used on the 92 Maristars. There is stainless steel collar that goes around the screw that makes that ring. When installed you can't even see the holes.

But, I'll look at the teak plugs and use them in the screw holes for the transom saver. Thanks for the info.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/grabrails.jpg

On the transom saver, I'd recommend using composit deck screws and screwing form the bottom up. That's how I did mine and it worked great with no visible holes from the top.

stx22
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
East Tx - not my platform (I assume that post was for me) but I see that the transom saver extends the entire length of the swim platform. I will just cut it to extend the entire length but i was looking for an exact measurement (width) if someone had one.

I am crazy in thinking that some boats had/have a spacer between the platform and the transom saver?

TMCNo1
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
East Tx - not my platform (I assume that post was for me) but I see that the transom saver extends the entire length of the swim platform. I will just cut it to extend the entire length but i was looking for an exact measurement (width) if someone had one.

I am crazy in thinking that some boats had/have a spacer between the platform and the transom saver?

They are usually about 3.5" to 4" wide on the ends depending on the platform and follow the contour of the transom, same as the platform and are usually flat on the outside to run parallel with the platform slats and can screw directly to the surface of the platform from beneath like ETS said in the above post.
Here is a example of what it should look like from the Teak World website,

stx22
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks. I'll be hitting the wood shop tonight. It is already several coats behind the rest of the platform...

CantRepeat
04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweet, post a photo when done. I love fine furniture.

stx22
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Sweet, post a photo when done. I love fine furniture.

Don't think it will get to that status, but I will post the pics when done. Although, the ice is out and the forecast is for 80 this weekend. It's quite possible that it is done until the fall.