PDA

View Full Version : Whose fault was it?

absolutofft
08-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Where I launch my boat at a private marina there are two locked pylons that need to be removed to drive down the boat launch. I reversed up to about 10ft in front of the pylons and threw my cousin the keys to unlock the pylons blocking the boat launch.

Now get in mind that the boat is currently in front of both of these pylons so I can't see either of them. I just know that when they are both out there is lots of space to back up.

I start reversing the trailer then BANG I have reversed into one of the pylons. It turns out my cousin only removed one of the pylons because he said that there is enough room to reverse back with only 1 pylon removed.

1. It is true that this is possible but there is only 1 ft on either side of the boat trailer if you remove one pylon therefore I always have removed both of them any time I do it.

2. The boat was in front of both of the pylons so I had no way of seeing whether one or two pylons was out. He should've told me that he only took one pylon out.

Now gets to the frustrating part people are saying that it is MY fault for not seeing the pylons. I say I had no way to see the pylons and I always just assumed that any sane person would remove both of the pylons. Every single other time I have launched the boat at this boat launch I have removed both of the pylons and my cousin has seen me remove both pylons yet he decides to remove only one pylon and not tell me.

Thanks for letting me vent :mad:

PS - there wasn't much damage done, just some fibreglass damage on the side step on the trailer.

Ben
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Due to situations like that, I frequently may come across as an a$$ to those who don't know me well, since I will ask what sometimes appear to be stupid questions, just to make sure.

I agree, he should've pulled both, but unfortunately I'd be in your shoes thinking "how could I have made this not happen?" Unfortuantely, life is annoying to some when you are constantly thinking of 500 outcomes for every possibly situation.

Another example, wife took truck to pick up her friend for a bike ride, and didn't think twice about loading one of the bikes in with the handlebar hanging over the side of the bed (empty F350 & bumpy roads). Yup, you guessed it (as did I when she hinted something was amuck outside), little ball end of the brake lever added 15-20 little chips and scratches to the side of the truck we have had for 3 months and 2000 miles..... How can you plan / prepare for that one? Who would have thought an 8 foot bed was not capable to completely contain 2 mountain bikes..... After a week, I was able to joke about it and tell her the next truck will be a moving van, to make sure we have "room" for everything.

hehe, I vented too, feels better.

bcampbe7
08-13-2004, 02:22 PM
absolutofft-
Was this a question or rant?
While that sucks to hear about the damage, In my opinion it is your fault. The driver should always be aware of his/her surroundings.
:twocents:

ski_king
08-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Over the years, thru personal experience, I have learned the hard way to make sure of two things.
1. Make sure there is nothing behind me. (backed over my gas cans)
2. Make sure the plug is in. :(

Now thru observation of other people I have learned a few things also
3. Make sure the trailer tongue is latched onto the ball and not sitting on top of it.
4. Make sure the truck is in park and the brake is on.

Diesel
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Your fault. Never assume anything...........................

MarkP
08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
bcamp,

I agree with you. You can not blame somone else for you backing into something..:eek: .. Just my 02:) ..

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Sorry dude,

Prime reason why I do things myself. I am very particular about "my stuff." "Take it easy Frances" 8p

I was out on the boat Wednesday with some friends that haven't been out with me before. I think they got a little offended when I wouldn't let them drive the boat, or back the trailer, or tie the boat to the dock. Now I know my boat is older then most of the boats on the site but, what if something happened or I didn't explain it well enough. I know it's not a new 100K X-80 but, I take care of my stuff. I would be pissed. Are they going to fix it for me or pay for it? Probably not. So, I may come across as funny, but if I damage it, it's mine and my fault.

ski_king
08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
BriEOD,

I am with you 100% on that. Thats how I do it also.

That being said....
Anybody ever forget the plug other than me?

absolutofft
08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Yes it is true that it comes down to the driver's responsibilty ultimately.

However I was in utter shock that this person would only take out one pylon and I guess it never even remotely entered my mind that he would only take out one pylon especially because the boat was sitting directly in front of the pylon that needed to come out.

I mean I would have had to pull the boat all the way forward and reverse up again to get around that pylon he left in. I was just in shock that he would leave it in.

MarkP
08-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey

Nice looking boat though.. How about some shots of damage:popcorn:

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 03:18 PM
PS 82,

I can honestly say (knock on wood) I have never left the plug out. I keep it in a place where I have to remember it.

Absolutofft,

I agree, you would think if he watched you etc. But, as much as this pains me to say; you know what they say about a$$umptions...

89PROSTAR
08-13-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry but I must agree you shouldn't asume anything.
Quick Story:
At the start of the season we tried a new boat ramp, my wife dropped me off at the dock to go get the trailer. She then left the dock to go idle around and wait to load the boat. I forgot my keys so she had to come back to the dock. The dock was crowded so I told her to come up slow on the upriver side and I would catch her. :noface: She insisted that I couldn't do it. Well the current was faster than I thought and she was right. A couple of quarter size chunks out of the side just about the water line. I'm 34 and have been behind the wheel of a boat since I was about 8. So I felt pretty confident.

Point is, things happen and a person really needs to think of the what if's. Of course I now blame her for listening to me :purplaugh Sorry for the boring story....

tall_ andy
08-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Yup Have to agree no matter how much it $uck$ you need to be responsible for what is behind you, even if it was just put there, case in point I stopped to check if everything was clear to back a construction trailer onto a site, my partner got out also and after I checked and went back to truck he moved gas can to "Help" so I ran it over. Still my fault. Oh well luckly no harm

Leroy
08-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes, have to agree, just went over this with my 16 year old. Anything that happens with his car, when he gets it, is his fault, if you are driving it's your fault. But that's just my rule cause it was my dad's rule for me also.

Maybe 5 years ago my wife was pulling out of Boston Market and lady was wanting in and blocking my wife's view. Well the lady motions for my wife to pull out and on the other side a Porsche comes flying through and hits her, no injuries but vehicles had to be towed off. Similar for my Mom maybe 15 years ago pulling out of car dealer and telephone truck was blocking the view, so the telephone guy looks and motions her to go and smack, again no injuries. Then this lady (wife of a Judge) files big damage lawsuit at 364 days, back pain, distress, couldn't sleep, bla bla bla which the insurance company took care of and told Mom later it was an act. (had 1 year to file in TN).

Hopefully not much damage to your boat or relationship.

lakes Rick
08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
It sure is something about boats, especially boat docks and launch Ramps....

My friend Jeff and I can decide to go to the lake and in 30 minutes we are hitched, gas in boat, beer in cooler and we are on our way.. I back the boat in, he motors off and it is just too easy....

NOW try that with your wife or girlfriend. Toss in a couple of kids and it take a good 2 hours to even get going.....

My point is when you have a system with someone you assume the next person is gonna figure out how to do it the same way you are used to..

What you should have done is told him exactly what you wanted done... His system is different from yours.. Is he a moron?? ABSOLUTELY, but your the one with the broken boat now...

nothing ticks me off worse then when I am explaining to someone how WE ARE GONNA DO THIS and they get mad because I am treating them like a baby..... ITS MY BOAT, when it breaks you walk away and I GET TO PAY FOR IT.. This is one reason I rarely take out very many people in my boat..... Well, unless that bikini is just tooooooo fine fitting.....

lakes Rick
08-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Due to situations like that, I frequently may come across as an a$$ to those who don't know me well, since I will ask what sometimes appear to be stupid questions, just to make sure.

I agree, he should've pulled both, but unfortunately I'd be in your shoes thinking "how could I have made this not happen?" Unfortuantely, life is annoying to some when you are constantly thinking of 500 outcomes for every possibly situation.

Another example, wife took truck to pick up her friend for a bike ride, and didn't think twice about loading one of the bikes in with the handlebar hanging over the side of the bed (empty F350 & bumpy roads). Yup, you guessed it (as did I when she hinted something was amuck outside), little ball end of the brake lever added 15-20 little chips and scratches to the side of the truck we have had for 3 months and 2000 miles..... How can you plan / prepare for that one? Who would have thought an 8 foot bed was not capable to completely contain 2 mountain bikes..... After a week, I was able to joke about it and tell her the next truck will be a moving van, to make sure we have "room" for everything.

hehe, I vented too, feels better.

Stay single, and dont let any women drive your truck... Thats the fix at my house.....

MarkP
08-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Rick

You are holding your temper quite well lately..:woohoo: What gives?? New meds?? I remember in the old days something like this would have sent you off of the deep end or at least into a little rant.

I like it, “the new improved Rick”. Again, what gives??:headbang:

MarkP
08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
:eek3: RICK, are you in love:banana: !! Come on, what is it??

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Mark,P: "What gives?? New meds??"

:uglyhamme LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Rick what did you get laid or something? You are my "boy" and all but I'll take you up on your "try that with your wife or girlfriend." Actually, I'll do you one better, she's even 8-9 months pregnant and we are still as quick and efficient as anyone (yeah, she still takes me out). We are loaded at the ramp and on and off. She wears combat boots, can shoot expert on the M-16 course of fire, bake an apple pie, carrying my soon to be new son and take your breath when she is all dolled up. :love: Bet your buddy Jeff can't do all that. ;) HAHA!!!

lakes Rick
08-14-2004, 11:03 AM
OK now you guys are scaring me.... I hope no one thinks I am some psycho or something..

Yes there are some women who do well.. BUT no one is going to tell me I am wrong.. I see how stupid people are every day. Smart is the exception.....

My friend Tony's, EX wife, worked at a shipping warehouse.. She had her doubles license.. Now that women could back a trailer down the ramp.. I kinda miss her.. Unfortunately, you don't pull up to a red light with your boyfriend next to your husbands car... Have I ever said anything about NOT getting married!!!!!!

Yes, friend Jeff is missing some equipment over the wives, but we always seem to "find" that equipment at the lake......At least we used to when we were younger....

JimN
08-14-2004, 11:45 AM
She pulled up with her byfriend at a stoplight next to her hubby? Smooth move!

Sounds like someone here in MKE who was riding the Sky Glider at Summerfest, crawling all over his girlfriend. At about 1/3 of the way, he made eye contact with a woman coming the other way. You guessed it, HIS WIFE and her friend. Her other friends were in other chairs. She got off at the end, ran/walked to the other end so she could wait for him to get off and confront him. As he got closer to the end, he tossed a $20 to the operator to keep it going. When he got close to the other end(his wife was not only really steamed by now, she was also completely out of breath from running a mile through a big crowd) his wife was waiting. This time, the operator at the other end had to shut it down so there he was, sitting about 15 feet up. He figured that he would jump and make a run to freedom but when he landed, he rolled one ankle and broke the other. She and her friends laughed their butts off, and as he was being carried to the First Aid center on the little golf cart ambulance, she was walking next to him, giving him a big chunk of crap- "when you get home, all of your sh!t is gonna be out on the lawn, etc".

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 12:05 PM
That is pretty funny. :D

_JR
08-15-2004, 12:57 PM
PowerSlot82

Yep, I forgot mine a few weeks ago...we had about 14 people up for the weekend, and in a rush to get the boat in the water, I forgot to put in the plug...fortunately, I snapped when I saw the water seeping out of the bilge!!! :eek:

Gotta say that I have a newfound respect for my BILGE pump!!!

Anyway, no real drama, just a red face and a bit of anxiety...after about 15 minutes the bilge was dry and I was on my way.

Dan-H
08-15-2004, 01:21 PM
BriEOD,
That being said....
Anybody ever forget the plug other than me?

not on my current boat, but my first boat, I forgot to put it in three times. Always in a hurry, once I asked a friend to do it ( we actually lost the plug that time ...) After the third time, I fashioned a rubber loop so I could hang the plug from the steering wheel :o

lakes Rick
08-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Used to forget it in my old Glastron Carlson all the time.. Just a 16' with 120 outboard...

I have told this story before.....

Last time I left the plug out, freshly seperated from the cyborg ( EX) and feeling kinda low.. By myself at the dock.. Spotted this gorgeous brunette ( yeah I am a brunette guy) and asked her to hold the boat while I park the truck/trailer.. I still remember how that Bikini looked on her UUHHMMMMM... anyway, I am walking to the dock with a big smile on my face, when she yells "your boat is sinking".. you guessed it... I had to pull the boat back out of the water ( no bilge pump) and drain it before I could put it back in the water.. Looked up and NO more Brunette in a Bikini... What a bummer..... Good thing though, when I put the boat back in the water the battery was dead... I just pulled it out and went home... Such are the fortunes in life....

I do think this has prevented me from leaving the plug out anymore ( at least since then).... AND those batter charger/floats are pretty wonderful also..........

Ben
08-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Rick,
Sorry it sounds as if you've had a few too many bad experiences to make you think the way you do. I'll have to admit, my wife would get killed by BriEOD's wife, as she doesn't like guns, but she does pull the boat on/off trailer w/o issues and drives pretty straight thought the course. Not to mention puts up with waking up when it is still dark to go skiing. Never seen you're buddy Jeff, but the wife does look pretty good while & after boating is done.

One main thing is that her "decision" with the boat was whether she would back the trailer or load the boat. Not if or not if she would help. We now enjoy watching families that tie the ramp up for 30 minutes while the wife, also referred to at our camp as the "rope holder", stands on the dock and waits for the guy to do everything. I've never timed it, but I usually get dropped off to get the truck, we load boat, wipe down & secure & depart before some have the boat out of the water. It took a few training runs, but now all is good. I'd rather have her do it than 95% of my friends.

Not incredibly mad about the truck thing, that is one advantage (second to cost) of a 7 year old used truck. Granted it is in excellent condition, but I don't have to freak out if a little ding is in it. From here on out, we are gonna call that "character". Last truck had a lot of that... makes for good beer drinkin' stories.

John B
08-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Rick

You are holding your temper quite well lately..:woohoo: What gives?? New meds?? I remember in the old days something like this would have sent you off of the deep end or at least into a little rant.

I like it, “the new improved Rick”. Again, what gives??:headbang:

Don't you guy remember what happen to Rick.
He hit someone's new boat that was docked.
His post have not been the same since that happen. :D

MarkP
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
John

I was trying to get Rick to say that. ;) ...

lakes Rick
08-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes I have been humbled......

MarkP
08-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Ok Rick:D a big grin and a dancin banana to that:banana:

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear about the damage. There are only a handful of people who are assigned any real tasks when it comes to boat stuff. They all own tournament boats, are relative, and have demonstrated a level of anal retentiveness that is necessary to get it done right every time. The rest can sit in boat and organize the drinks in the cooler.

JR, took my first run down the Pedernales yesterday. Nice spot. Even with a lot of boats (late afternoon on a weekend), the wakes diminished so fast that it was still really skiable. Got some great sets in. I can only imagine how nice it'd be if I got there at a decent hour.

boatless
08-18-2004, 12:43 PM
If I were you, I would have got out of the truck I beat the crab out of the cousin... What ?? Is he too lazy to open both of the pylons ?

Come to think of it, I would tie my cousin to the concrete block and dunk him off the boat !!!! Now I have room for two more girls for each arm :dance:

martini
08-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Newish poster here, longtime lurker. I have been wanting to participate on this board for a long time, just never got around to it. As far as being anal on your boat, I don't know how you could be any other way because this sport/hobby/past time is expensive as hell. My friends and family all understand that it's my way or the highway when it comes to my boat. I can command this, I don't know if you want to call it respect, maybe fear if they "F" something up, because they all know how much time, money and wrenching I have spent/done to my 84 ss.

East Texas--The Perdanales is now my favorite spot and it does have good skiable water even with traffic. Better enjoy it while you can as we are in a glut of rain. I have seen that area when it is down, not pretty.

I am trying to get in all the lake time I can right now because my wife is starting Law school next week at Tech and I will be moving as soon as I find a job up there. Any Lubbockites on the board? The only good thing about all of this is she will be an attorney in 3 years and we will be moving back to Central Texas. God, I'll miss it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I was just wanted to throw my story and opinions out there. I also wanted to let everyone here know that I have done an extensive mechanical overhaul on my boat, shadetree mechanic style, and if anyone needs/want's questions answered or just pictures of before and after to let me know, I'll be more than happy to share them. :wavey:

east tx skier
08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Martini,

Welcome aboard, and hook 'em! Just what Texas needs, another lawyer. :eek: (My wife and I met in law school :D ).

I can understand your missing Austin. I haven't lived there in 8 years and I still miss it. Fortunately, my brother-in-law and other friends give me ample reason to get down there. If you ever happen through Tyler, give me a shout and I'll pull you 'till you drop. Good luck with the move. Tech's got a great law school.

martini
08-19-2004, 01:42 PM
east texas,

Thanks for the warm welcome. If I am your way in that part of Texas, I will definitely give you a shout. I am actually going to Pace Bend this weekend, I only have 3 weekends left of boat usage as I am puttin' her up early this year in hopes of saving some money. :(

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to checking this site out on a daily basis. I guess I'm addicted. 8p

Until next time.

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey Martini,

I see you met Doug, our "Rush Chairman" and he was "dam glad to meet you!" :D

Sounds like a boat in good shape. I'll take you up on some offers for some photos. Throw them on here. Just keep it under 700x700 pixels.

BTW Welcome from the self appointed Sgt at Arms and make sure to meet our "salty" mentor Lakes Rick. :D

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
LMFAO! Okay, Bluto!

And that's Eric Stratton (Otter), rush chairman, dam^ glad to meet you.

"... and this is Sydney, Clayton, and Jugdish."

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but I know the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, I can't turn up a bottle of Jack D, and I'm not a big fat guy. But, I would smash a guitar if someone played a dumb a$$ song like that...I guess Rick can be Otter, LOL! JimN can be D-Day...

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Rick strikes me as someone who can (1) Ride his hog up the stairs, and (2) play the "Theme to the Lone Ranger" on his throat by flicking it with his fingers. He can be D-Day.

I believe you mean Boon, right?

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Yeah Boon he was so synical to everyone... D-day could fix everything and cut up Flounder's brothers car to make the "Eat Me" float.

"You mind if we dance with yo' dates...?"

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 02:38 PM
http://www.animalhouse.com/#

Check it out...

BriEOD
08-19-2004, 02:41 PM
10/10 on the quiz... :banana:

lakes Rick
08-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Again I get way too much credit... Otter? No maybe Flounder....

Some Trivia:

Guess where Animal house was filmed??? Eugene OR... I think around 78?? I remember the filming but I was more interested in other things.. Too bad, Eugene was small enough then I probably could have met the whole cast....

The frat house has been torn down for years, probably some Californian bought it, but all the other nice sororitys and fraternitys are all still there. I was down on campus the other day and when you see those old buildings I still crack up thinking of Animal House..

The Dexter Lake club?? Not to offend any do gooders on here, but I am not sure where all the blacks were imported from as there just weren't many living here at the time. And the Dexter lake club is a redneck, logger hangout. Need I say more. I am sure there were some problems during filming...

The parade at the end was filmed in Cottage Grove, OR. It is about 20 miles south of Eugene... Filmed on Main st. Not much has changed there, except for the new Walmart who ran out ALL of the little business's you see in the movie.....

martini
08-19-2004, 03:37 PM
BriEOD,

I will post a few. I'll also add some to my profile. Haven't had access to my home computer in awhile, been busy packing, moving, unpacking for 2 different locations. It's been a nightmare really, kinda glad it's over. I will set my stuff up and post tonight when I get home. The funny thing about all this is that I usually will do most of my "surfing", message board lurking, posting at work, as I suspect most here do as well. Not good :noface: . The only fortunate thing is that I work at UT and institutions of higher education are generally a little more lax about what is accessed on your computer. The whole acedemic freedom excuse. I love it! :dance:

Anyway, I'll post some tonight and thanks for the welcome!

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 04:53 PM
What do you do at UT, if you don't mind my asking?

martini
08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I actually manage the semi-monthly payroll for the entire campus. I have had this job for the last 3 years and I like working with the money and responsibility I have been given, but room for advancement is limited unfortunately. I do however, as a part of my job, get to review all the coaches contracts when extra payments are being made to them. 8p It is amazing how much these guys could "potentially" make, even with their base salaries as high as they are. Basically the entire payroll history of this University is at the tip of my fingers and the records are all still available from basically day one. It's pretty interesting in that respect.

BriEOD

I didn't get a chance to set my computer up last night, so no pics yet. Sorry about that. I will however have it up this weekend. They are coming.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Cool! UT will always have plenty of money for their various sports programs, that's for sure.

martini
08-20-2004, 12:43 PM
With out a doubt, with out a doubt they will always have money. Definitely the most cash rich department on campus. It's too bad they won't share any of that cash with me!

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Good deal Martini...shaken or stirred? :D

martini
08-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Shaken if you please!

NeilM
08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok, I missed a story here... Rick? point me to the thread...