PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X-30 swim platform defects

ssidener
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I purchased a 2006 X-30 new. I've had nothing but problems with my fiberglass swim platform. The very small pins used by the factory are no match for the movement of the platform.
The holes on the arms would elongate and the pins would fall out. Allowing the platform to float way. To the dealer to have new ones installed.
Happend again, so I had the dealer double pin each arm. That seemed to help.
However, because of so much movement still, the platform has complete rubbed the back of the boat. There is only about a 1/4" gap between the boat and the platform. This is black on black boat, so instead of a clean look, there is white chaffing markes all along this gap.
The next problem was the rubber pad came off. Again, back to the dealer for a new pad.
Lastly, the platform came completely off of the arms. Ripping all stainless screws from the underside of the platform and floated away. (This thing is not easy to get in the boat will out in the middle of a lake)
once again, back to the deal to have them reinstall the arms to the platform.
Now, In my opion, and looking at all of the other X-series out there, the deck typically site out of the water.
My deck actually site at the water line with the boat complete empty.
This is allowing any wave or while underway, water to come from the underside and uplift it.
The deal mentioned that there are (2) different sets of arms made for these platforrms but I have never seen them.
I have documented everything and taken pictures of this issue.
The rest of the Boat is perfect.
I have even sent pictures to the dealer and they contacted the manufacture. Nothing was said or done about it.
Can anyone help.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 04:58 PM
You will see that the platform is complete under water.
Also look at how close the deck was installed to the boat. Any kind of movement makes the platform hit the boat.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Also look at the terrible glue job the dealer did whe nthey replace the rubber pad. Excess glue everywhere. (After 4 months, I finally got them to redue the pad) looks factory now.
I just can not believe that for the amount of $$$$ we all spend on a boat, this defect is allowed to happen. I guarranty that if this was a hi-end car, the manufacturer would never allow this to happen.

flipper
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Which dealer are you going to?

Sodar
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
The installation of the swim platform and brackets on the swim platform side (not the boat side) is done by the dealer.

As for height, I know there was an issue with the X-1, Pre-05 X-2 and 205V models with the platform sitting too low. There are brackets to lift those platforms. Will they work on a X-30? I don't know.

It looks like your platform was installed too close to the transom of the boat. Looking at this picture, it would appear they have left 1/2" or so between the platform and the step.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=29368&d=1195929931

If your dealer is not taking care of you, I am sure there are some on the boards that will.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Well,
I had been going to Cope and McPhetres, but they are no longer around. NorCal Mastercraft oped up a shop in Sacramento, I contacted them and sent pictures but still the manufacturer was no help.

CantRepeat
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I think the next step is to write a letter to MC themselves and follow that up with a call.

flipper
03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Well,
I had been going to Cope and McPhetres, but they are no longer around. NorCal Mastercraft oped up a shop in Sacramento, I contacted them and sent pictures but still the manufacturer was no help.

There's your problem....they SUCK. I haven't done anything with NorCal yet, so no coment there. Hope they are better than Cope was.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm really glad to see a new dealer up here. But I'm not sure how far this issue will go since I didn't buy directly from them.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they were able to fix it. Even the X-45 platform sits out of the water even with some weight on it.

russlars
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Well,
Maybe we know now why Cope and McPhetres are no longer dealers for MC.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
SODAR,
I the picture you attached of the Red X-30, what are the (2) small silver / chrome peices between the platform and the transom? Are they some sort of spacer for the platfrom can not rub the boat?

Sodar
03-19-2009, 07:00 PM
No, those are the scuppers for the cockpit drains (they come on saltwater series boats).

The platform will not rub if there is a bit bigger gap between the platform and the transom.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Sodar,
you mentions MC had to raise the X-1 and X-2 platforms. Do you know how much?

erkoehler
03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
The platform is dealer installed, nothing to blame MC for except the pad which has been warranty replaced.

The platform ripping off of the "arms" is probably from not drilling pilot holes in the platform before screwing it down.

As far as spacing once again that is dealer installed. I was taught about 2 fingers width away from the boat.

erkoehler
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Sodar,
you mentions MC had to raise the X-1 and X-2 platforms. Do you know how much?

He is referring to the old 205V hull, those brackets WILL NOT work on an X-30.

Sodar
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Might want to read this: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19972

and this: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18710

and this: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18531

ssidener
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
erkoehler,
you from Sac?
You know this exact boat and the problems I've had. Are you at another dealer?

Sodar
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Erk is in Chicago. He is a dealer there.

ssidener
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Sodar,
There is another EKoehler that was a parts guy up here in sac.

erkoehler
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
^what he said........

Any other questions just post them up and we will get them answered!

PS. Register for the site :)

ssidener
03-19-2009, 07:32 PM
All the link you posted seem to be for teak swimplatforms. I understand that I could just do this myself, but should the dealer be held acountable for installing these decks properly?

erkoehler
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
All the link you posted seem to be for teak swimplatforms. I understand that I could just do this myself, but should the dealer be held acountable for installing these decks properly?

The teak/fiberglass shouldn't make a difference. They all use the same brackets.

The only "issue" left is the damage to the back of the boat. Your dealer who installed the platform is out of business, technically it isn't a warranty issue because the dealer installed it wrong. Contact your new dealer and see if they are willing to talk w/ MC about the situation. See how it plays out.........

CantRepeat
03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
The teak/fiberglass shouldn't make a difference. They all use the same brackets.

The only "issue" left is the damage to the back of the boat. Your dealer who installed the platform is out of business, technically it isn't a warranty issue because the dealer installed it wrong. Contact your new dealer and see if they are willing to talk w/ MC about the situation. See how it plays out.........

And when you talk to the new dealer use some sugar rather than spice. I've always had better luck when using the nice guy method as opposed the heavy-handed method. I still think a call to the customer service rep and MC is a go to, but I'm a rookie

TX.X-30 fan
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
That dealer being out of business should have no affect on his ability to have his 75,000 dollar boat repaired due to a poor installation by a MC dealer. At some point it should not be sorry Mr customer your screwed and it should not be a giant game of hide and seek either. MC entrusted this dealer to deliver a professionally detailed boat and the busk stops with MC. Its their name on the boat.

I went through this with a POS dealer and got nowhere with them or MC.

Keep posting here and elsewhere till you get made whole on this issue, I gave up spent a ton and a lot of time fixing a 65,000 dollar new boat. only to find out 2 years later all the dash and side panels were cut wrong and falling off, again out of my pocket to fix design flaws that the factory knew about and to save money installed on my boat anyway.

Good luck.

ejg333
03-20-2009, 12:50 AM
There's your problem....they SUCK. I haven't done anything with NorCal yet, so no coment there. Hope they are better than Cope was.
Doubt it, I refuse to let NorCal Mastercraft in Pleasanton anywhere near my boat too many bad experiences with them and Ski World!

SkiDog
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Maybe we know now why Cope and McPhetres are no longer dealers for MC.

THIS IS THE REASON THEY ARE NO LONGER A MC DEALER!

XPC Sealman
03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Look at the new production folding platforms. They are secure and very robust!

kenhil
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I have an '07 X30 and "lost" my swim platform last week. I believe it was due to failure in the cable lift the boat sat on. The rear of the boat must have hit the water hard enough to pop the swim platform off and now I can't find the swim platform. Any recommendations on where to buy a new red fiberglass swim platform? Is it best to go through my local MC dealer or are there other options?

Thanks

Thrall
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Mastercraft of Charolette has a bunch of platforms for sale on www.mymastercraft.com.

Regarding the original post. The scuffing on the transom looks to just be superficial.
It would take more time to haul the boat somewhere and pick it back up than to fix it.

Even though it should have been right from the start.
Sand/polish out the scratches and re-mount the swim deck on the brackets. Epoxy or resin fill the existing holes, re-position the deck on the brackets (on the boat). My 06 has about 1/2" clearance which is sufficient, but I'd prefer an inch or so, just to make it easier to remove by myself. Mark new holes, drill pilot holes, seal the screws in with some gorilla glue or 3M marine epoxy.