PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

wakeX2wake
03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
so here's for another bracket filled day at work...

i know everyone here probably has a bracket or two filled out... so let's hear about it... i could only put a limited number of team up on the pole but i'm sure there's much more discussion to be made as we near the start of the big dance...

here's my 2009 "hopeful" bracket...

Round 1 Winners:
Midwest: Louisville – Ohio State – Utah – Wake Forrest – West Virginia – Kansas – Boston College – Michigan State
West: Connecticut – Texas A&M – Purdue – Mississippi State – Marquette – Missouri – Maryland – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Oklahoma State – Florida State – Xavier – UCLA – Villanova – Texas – Duke
South: North Carolina – LSU – Illinois – Gonzaga – Arizona State – Syracuse – Clemson – Oklahoma

Sweet Sixteen:
Midwest: Louisville – Wake Forrest – Kansas – Boston College
West: Connecticut – Mississippi State – Missouri – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Florida State – Villanova – Duke
South: North Carolina – Gonzaga – Syracuse – Oklahoma

Elite Eight:
Midwest: Louisville –Kansas
West: Mississippi State – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Duke
South: North Carolina – Syracuse

Final Four:
Louisville – Memphis – Pittsburgh – Syracuse

Final:
Memphis 86 – Syracuse 78

tear mine apart or post your own... if you get it right you'll have proof forever

Monte
03-19-2009, 09:44 AM
My bracket says Louisville, but my heart says Chapel Hill...

ttu
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
i just hope the ou gooners go down 2nd round. i am so sick of hearing about blake griffin and seeing the tv camera show his parents 20 times per game.:mad:

go pokes, but they got a tuff seed going up again tenn.

think pitt will take it all.

bbymgr
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Here it goes!!

Round 1 Winners:
Midwest: Louisville – Sienna – Arizona – Wake Forrest – West Virginia – Kansas – Boston College – Michigan State
West: Connecticut – Texas A&M – Purdue – Mississippi State – Marquette – Missouri – Maryland – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Oklahoma State – Wisconsin – Xavier – UCLA – Villanova – Texas – Duke
South: North Carolina – Butler – Illinois – Gonzaga – Arizona State – Syracuse – Michigan – Oklahoma

Sweet Sixteen:
Midwest: Louisville – Wake Forrest – Kansas – Michigan State
West: Connecticut – Purdue – Marquette – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Xavier – UCLA – Duke

Elite Eight:
Midwest: Wake Forest –Kansas
West: Connecticut – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Duke
South: North Carolina – Oklahoma

Final Four:
Kansas – Connecticut – Duke – North Carolina

Final:
Connecticut 88 – North Carolina 92

flipper
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I vote for what ever UMP votes for....he knows all

D3skier
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Round 1 Winners:
Midwest: Louisville – Ohio State – Utah – Wake Forrest – West Virginia – Kansas – USC– Michigan State
West: UConn – Texas A&M – Purdue – Wash – Utah St – Missouri – Maryland – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Tenn – Wisc – Xavier – UCLA – Villanova – Texas – Duke
South: North Carolina – LSU – Illinois – Gonzaga – Arizona State – Syracuse – Clemson – Oklahoma

Sweet Sixteen:
Midwest: Louisville – Utah – Kansas – MSU
West: Connecticut – Wash – Missouri – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Xavier – Villanova – Duke

Elite Eight:
Midwest: Louisville –Kansas
West: UConn – Memphis
East: Pittsburgh – Villanova
South: Gonzaga - Oklahoma

Final Four:
Kansas – UConn – Pittsburgh – Gonzaga

Final:
Pittsburgh 72 - UConn 69

blue = win
red = loss

wakeX2wake
03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
its funny about UNC... they're a good team maybe even great but if Ty Lawson can't go at least 90% they might not make it to or at least out of the sweet 16

Memphis just has a NASTY defense... i think experience counts for a lot in this system and so does heart (thusly my pushing Syracuse to the final four... after watching that conference tourney i can't help but root for them

Monte
03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
its funny about UNC... they're a good team maybe even great but if Ty Lawson can't go at least 90% they might not make it to or at least out of the sweet 16

You said that right!!! Lawson is key to Carolina making a good run...

Gonzo
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Die hard dukie here, and a big ACC Fan but my final 4 is without an ACC Team. UNC is to hit and miss, they stayed up in the polls but they lost to BC, Maryland, Wake and FSU (all be it now lawson for FSU). Out of those teams with or without lawson they should have only lost to Wake. A team that wins all the big games but looses the ones they should win is not a good team to take you through the first 4 rounds of the NCAA.

Plus, Monte hit it on the head Lawson is key. Really tells you something about a coach when his team falls apart like they did in the ACC tourney barely beating VT and loosing to FSU... you cant run a team around one player at this level, especailly when you have 3 guards on that team that would all start at any other schools in the country. And it takes some poor coaching to let him play duke and then be out the ACC and part of NCAA Tournament the way they did. They had already beat duke 102 to 87 @ cameron, they had nothing to prove.

As to my beloved dukies... I have them falling out in the Eight, to Pitt, but only because thats their first real challenge... Duke looses to teams they are supposed to (only one loss to unranked BC). Villanova may give them a fit but I think Pit will be the ones to do it.

Wake2wake
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
well im just rooting for Mizzou. i know they might not make it very far, but i have FAITH!!! :rolleyes:

M-I-Z...

anyone want to finish that one for me?:D:D

ShamrockIV
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Memphis Better Pick Up Their Game Or They Will Be Going Home Today???

Matadors Are All Over Them.

scott023
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
IMHO this should be one of the most exciting tourney's in a LONG LONG time. There are a bunch of temas that have legitimate shots at the title. Looking forward to the Madness...

woftam
03-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Basketball is fine and all, but I'll be more interested in the performances at the next Collegiate Waterski Nationals. FWIW.

Gonzo
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Basketball is fine and all, but I'll be more interested in the performances at the next Collegiate Waterski Nationals. FWIW.

Why is that going on this week? didnt think those were until late may?

TMCNo1
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM

IIRC, the Collegiate Nationals are usually held in October and the Collegiate Allstars tournament ( if it still exists) are in May/June.

wakeX2wake
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
so far so good for my bracket... wonder how long before it all falls apart?

onlyinboards
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Wake2Wake, I'll finish it for you...

...ERY

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!!!!!!

wakeX2wake
03-19-2009, 04:34 PM
haha... i'm an underdog kind of guy in these things... and i like upsets... that's why i'm liking syracuse and miss st... only an idiot would pick 'em... and i'm leaning on them this yr

M-Funf
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
My pics are attached...Louisville all the way, bay bay :D

woftam
03-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Sorry, I'm just a bit jaded. NCAA basketball or football (Bowl Games) tournaments are fantastic money makers for the NCAA and to a lesser degree for the conferences and schools.

It would be nice if some of those dollars were directed towards water skiing/boarding, which are club, not varsity, sports at most universities/colleges. Of the majority of schools where it's a club sport, some recieve partial funding from their schools, usually from the SGA. Others are completely self funded and rely on a member or members boat, site, etc...

Then again, I'd much rather root for my school team than, say an NFL or NBA team that has co-opted local/municipal support for the private gain of the owners.

I'm kind of surprised Maryland made it in this year. I guess making it to the semis at the ACC Tourn was enough? Anyway they are up by 10 on Cal as I write. Go Terps!

Wake2wake
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Wake2Wake, I'll finish it for you...

...ERY

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!!!!!!

I got one for you...

M-I-Z.... F--- KU:D:D

no hard feelings though, Im just happy with the way the big 12 Tourny turned out.:D

D3skier
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
ok down by 24 points I can see being very frustrated but this was totally uncalled for he deserved to be ejected from the game and if I was coaching that team he'd be suspended for several games next year.

By Chris Chase

When you're down 24 points to one of the best teams in the country and having little success defending an All-American forward, what's the best way to deal with that situation? If you're Morgan State's Ameer Ali, you probably answered, "imitate Randy Macho Man Savage and body slam the other team's best player."

It's bad enough to do that in a close game. But to do it in a game when your team is down 24 points just makes you look like a sore loser with anger-management issues. With that play, Morgan State earned a reputation (whether deserved or not) as a team that plays chippily and critics of Todd Bozeman once again have the ability to say, "see...!"

The play was clearly wrong and Ali deserved his ejection, but I hesitate to villify him without having watched the entire game. After all, we don't know whether Ali had a reason for doing what he did. I'm not condoning the action at all, but let's say Griffin had been talking smack, throwing subtle elbows or pulling the old arm-socket pull, then maybe I can understand where Ali was coming from. Not that it makes it right, it just makes it a little easier to take.

But, more appropriately, I think Ali was just a frustrated dude who decided to take out his disappointment on the best player in the nation ... by pulling the move Jimmy SuperFly Snuka used in Wrestlemania VI.

Greg Gumbel called it bush league. I see where he's coming from, but have to disagree, because that would be an insult to bush leagues everywhere.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Morgan-State-player-takes-down-Blake-Griffin-?urn=ncaab,149352

ttu
03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
sorry volfan, good game. wow you guys shot a lot of 3's

one that went down to the end.

go pokes!!:D

bbymgr
03-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm 26-6 after the first round, but I'm definitely hurting after the Wake Forest upset. I had them in the Great 8. I'm in 3rd place in the pool I'm in, and only 2 games off the pace. How's everybody else doing?

PapaJoe
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
WOW-

No Love for KU...........

ttu
03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
papa, hey i've got a really old KU sweatshirt from the old big 8 days.

and the big 12's six teams in the tourney all made it thru the 1st round.

92 190 PS
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
WOW-

No love for KU tomorrow....GO FLYERS

scott023
03-22-2009, 09:59 AM
How's your brackets after yesterday? I've got 7 of 8 in...:D

TMCNo1
03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Wake Forest went down like a lead tyrd, which really wasn't unexpected!

bbymgr
03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
WOW-

I've given them some love......I got them going to the final 4 but losing to UCONN.

wakeX2wake
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
well i've got 12 out of the 16 teams still in... worst part is... i'm tied for the lead in my pool... hahaha pretty rough pool but there's only a few of us... i'm up by one game though... its still anyone's game at this point

PapaJoe
03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
For all you KU haters, we are still in it to win it.......

scott023
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Three out of four brackets correct... my only sweet 16 surprise is Kansas. JK

I was only missing 'Zona from my brackets... obviously didn't anticipate Wake going down. Caught some flak at work for picking the Boilermakers... was a lucky pick after they won their two games by a combined 7 points.

How do most of you do your brackets? Do you fill out multiple?

wakeX2wake
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
i usually fill out just one but this yr decided to fill out multiple... problem is... the first one has performed the best

scott023
03-23-2009, 10:21 AM
i usually fill out just one but this yr decided to fill out multiple... problem is... the first one has performed the best

That's how it normally works for me too... I like doing one that has upsets on it that I would like to happen (KU losing to ND State) for fun. :D

bbymgr
03-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I've still got 13 out of 16 in it. I've moved into 2nd place in my pool and only 1 game off the lead.

BrianM
03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Still have my fingers crossed for Arizona. Many thought they shouldn't have even made the tournament.

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
it's really funny this year... my chalk bracket is doing pretty dang good right now... we'll see how i hold up through the final four though... my "real" bracket isn't doing too bad...

damaged442
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm just hopin Cuse keeps it together. Hopefully Onuaku and Jackson will stay out of foul trouble against Griffin, and they can advance. It is nice to have 5 Big East teams going to the sweet sixteen. We should have a bunch of great games to watch, that's for sure.

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
i'm w/ you there... i've got them in the final four

scott023
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm just hopin Cuse keeps it together. Hopefully Onuaku and Jackson will stay out of foul trouble against Griffin, and they can advance. It is nice to have 5 Big East teams going to the sweet sixteen. We should have a bunch of great games to watch, that's for sure.

I think the Orange can win this... hopefully Devendorf lights it up to offset Griffen

wakeX2wake
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
offset Griffen

ehhhh... that kid is a man child... he's going to stretch that 2-3 zone... if he can exploit it... Okla will kill them but if he can't 'Cuse will have a run at it

scott023
03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Four for four tonight... I have the lead in my pool now... no one else picked Mizzou or Nova.

Gotta hope for the Orange tomorrow.

bbymgr
03-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwww 2-2 tonight. Somebody get a medic over here.........I'm hemorrhaging loses all over the place.

TMCNo1
03-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Wow, nobody voted in the poll for Duke, I wonder why! Now they've gone down.

scott023
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Wow, nobody voted in the poll for Duke, I wonder why! Now they've gone down.

I didn't bank on Dook because they suck... and a Heels fan never banks on the Devil. :D

damaged442
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Wow, Duke couldn't hit a shot last night. Between Scheyer and Henderson, they combined for 4 for 32 or something pitiful. Nova looked pretty good...again. The Pitt win was ugly, but they've been doin it like that all year.

jbfootin
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I had memphis going all the way...looks like i'm out.:mad:

wakeX2wake
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I had memphis going all the way...looks like i'm out.:mad:

x2..... dooodooooooooooo

scott023
03-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Well... 7 out of 8 ain't bad... damn Orange. Game was never close.

I was really impressed with the Cards tonight.

Need Mizzou, Heels, Cards and Pitt for the final four...

PapaJoe
03-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Haters!!!
:mad:

scott023
03-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Haters!!!
:mad:

Now now Papa... can't win it every year. Too much Collins/Aldrich not enough bench support... knew that was going to be the achilles heel. They only scored 7 bench points vs. 23 for State. Better luck next year.

bbymgr
04-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Final game put me over the top. I picked NC to win it all and that gave me enough points to win the pool. Got my "Stimulus" check early. Anybody else get theirs?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

scott023
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Final game put me over the top. I picked NC to win it all and that gave me enough points to win the pool. Got my "Stimulus" check early. Anybody else get theirs?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got the W in my bracket as well... wouldn;t have if UNC would have lost, but the Championship was a forgone conclusion to a great season.:D

wakeX2wake
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
the heels came out and dominated the first half and had it in cruise control the second... well played by UNC... Mich St had a great run of it but they couldn't match up w/ UNC...

i know he didn't win player of the game but mad props to Ty Lawson for his efforts... he had the record for most steals in a championship game tied in the first half... steals are the result of hustle and that's why i like watching that kid play... glad Hansborough got the championship too... great reward for sticking it out 4 years

damaged442
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
My brackets were toast when Louisville and UConn went down. No love this year!

Now we'll just have to see who goes to the NBA, and who stays. I'm hopin Jonny Flynn will decide to stick around, he's been pretty exciting to watch. I'm pretty sure the rest of Syracuse's present crew is sticking around, minus Kristof Ongenaet. I'm gonna miss that kids intensity. There are a few decent prospects comin in too, so hopefully that will give Boeheim a little more depth and he doesn't have to play starters for 38-40 minutes...or through six overtimes! :D

wakeX2wake
04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
i'm w/ you there damaged... i had a blast watchin' 'cuse this yr...

yea my bracket didn't make it past the elite eight as i didn't have a single team in the final 4... o well lost the bet and now i'm down a case a Sam Adams to a friend i had the bet w/