PDA

View Full Version : still looking for motor work

rmcminn09
03-19-2009, 03:44 AM
i have a 1987 prostar 190 and im looking for motor work. dont know whats wrong with it but i do know i dont want to pay a arm and a leg for maintenance please get back to me.

btw i live in keller tx

Jerseydave
03-19-2009, 04:49 AM
If you don't have a decent boat repair facility near you, sometimes mechanics at car dealers do side work. Assuming you have a PCM (Ford) in it, hit up your local Ford dealer and talk to some of the techs to see if they do side work.

Lots of help here on this forum if you can post some more details as to what the symptoms and/or problems are.

pkskier
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
In '87 it should be an Indmar Ford.

Muttley
03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
If you're the least bit mechanically inclined, this place has a crew standing by, just waiting for an excuse to show off their vast amount of knowledge. Tell is whats wrong and we'll all try and walk you through it.

JUST-IN-TIME
03-23-2009, 12:06 AM
whats wrong?

east tx skier
03-23-2009, 11:33 PM
It's a bit of a drive, but if you pull it over to Tyler, the guys at Ski N Sports are nothing short of fantastic. I wouldn't trust my boat with anyone else.

rmcminn09
03-24-2009, 01:40 AM
to tell you the truth i don't know whats wrong. for a year now i have been redoing this boat. i have had the carburetor rebuild and have had many Minor this done it . but the problem i always run into is the battery will not hold a charge and i have to constantly buy a new one. ill take the boat out and it always has a hard time starting but once its started it runs fine but once you turn it off your stuck in the middle of the lake. it cant even be jumped. i cant tell you how many times that has happened . i have taken the alternator to be checked or to buy a new one and for the life of me i cant find a place that has of or that will help me find one .

JUST-IN-TIME
03-24-2009, 02:15 AM
bad battery
bad voltage reg in alt or bad alt
bad wires going to battery

nothing else can be wrong other then those 3

bturner2
03-24-2009, 07:26 AM
This one sounds right up JimN's alley.

If you've changed out the alt and battery multiple times I would vote for bad wiring. I've read several posts on here about older boats with bad grounds and wiring in the starting circuit. If it's turning over slowly it's probably not getting good voltage/current to the starter. Jumping it won't help a bad connection, it'll just heat things up more. I would focus on the wiring for the charging and starting circuits. Look for bad (corroded) grounds, broken, worn or corroded connectors and replace them.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Along with the electrical/wiring problems mentioned, check your ignition timing (or have it checked). To much advance will create problems turning the engine over, this gets worse when the engine is warm. You should be right about 10 degree BTDC at idle (600rpm).