PDA

View Full Version : I don't think there are enough hours left...

CantRepeat
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Before the season starts to get this platform up to No1 standards!!!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before.jpg

Just so I can see them side by side!!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/coat6c.jpg

This is completed now, finally.

flipper
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
You'd be surprised. Mine looked way worse than that when i got it. I may get shot for this, but I took a belt sander to mine, got all the major stuff off, hit it again with a finer grit with the belt sander, and a palm sander after that going finer and finer. It will go much quicker than you think.

CantRepeat
03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
You'd be surprised. Mine looked way worse than that when i got it. I may get shot for this, but I took a belt sander to mine, got all the major stuff off, hit it again with a finer grit with the belt sander, and a palm sander after that going finer and finer. It will go much quicker than you think.

I've have a really nice palm sander for body work. I guess I could get some paper for that to start of with.

flipper
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I've got a really nice palm sander for body work. I guess I could get some paper for that to start of with.

Yeah, use some heavy grit, knock all the big stuff off, get it down to fresh wood, and work you way finer from there. Once it's nice and smooth, start putting the oil on.

brucemac
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
i'm bummed with mine. it's not worthy. next year i'm belt sanding the sucker. :D i've got some dark discoloration that didn't come out and actually got darker with each coat. looks WAY better than last year though.

flipper
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
i'm bummed with mine. it's not worthy. next year i'm belt sanding the sucker. :D i've got some dark discoloration that didn't come out and actually got darker with each coat. looks WAY better than last year though.

I forgot, after I got it down to bare wood, I also used that teak brightener too. That may help yours.

brucemac
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah, did that. i broke the golden rule though....patience.

i should have busted out the power tools. i started with 220 by hand and thanks to harold's advice got the spf 50 off with laquer thinner. :)

it looked like i had the darker spots tackled, but again as soon as i hit my 2nd or 3rd coat they were back. it's either really bad choke smoke, or PO left something sitting on it. my bet is the latter.

92, that will clean up nice.

CantRepeat
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, I think the dark spots are from left over oil. I'm working pretty hard to get all the old oil off of it before I even start to do anything else. I figure smooth out the very uneven spots then I'm working on the old oil. Once all that is done I'll start blocking it down.

CantRepeat
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
You can see in both of these progress pics the dark oil stained area in between the rungs. It's a royal pain to work in there but I'm doing it. I've also got most of the high spots gone now too.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before1.jpg

A few beers later and I have something to look at.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before2.jpg

Calling it a day on this one.

Thanks everyone!

CantRepeat
03-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Post up a pic of your work. I'd like to see and learn from it please.

brucemac
03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
i'm afraid the only thing you're going to learn from me is how NOT to do it! ;)

seriously, i should have blasted it down with an orbital or a belt sander. it looked good to me after the teak cleaner and brightener. oh well, live and learn. the dark square spots are a little hard to see in this light, but i can see them. :)

i still have one more sanding to do followed by another coat or two, but those stains aren't going anywhere. this is 5 coats i believe.

yours is looking great!

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3425/dsc5530.jpg

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 05:58 AM
i'm afraid the only thing you're going to learn from me is how NOT to do it! ;)

seriously, i should have blasted it down with an orbital or a belt sander. it looked good to me after the teak cleaner and brightener. oh well, live and learn. the dark square spots are a little hard to see in this light, but i can see them. :)

i still have one more sanding to do followed by another coat or two, but those stains aren't going anywhere. this is 5 coats i believe.

yours is looking great!

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3425/dsc5530.jpg

Did you sand it before you put the first coat of oil back on? I do see the dark square part in the upper left hand part of the picture. Did that part look like the rest of the wood before the first coat?

I've probably got a good 4 hours into it already and I still have a bunch of oil stain in between the rungs that is just a PIA to get at.

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Oh, and how long did you let it dry on each coat before you started sanding the next coat?

JohnE
03-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Oh, and how long did you let it dry on each coat before you started sanding the next coat?

Make sure it is real dry. I'm doing mine in my basement. It's dry but a little cool maybe 60 degrees. It's taking 3 days to dry enough to sand and do another coat.

mayo93prostar
03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
92, looks pretty good so far, keep up the good work. do not under appreciate what the teak cleaner and brightener do for the teak. I recommend to do these processes before much sanding to get the discoloration out of the wood and this process raises the grain of the wood so you will have to sand afterwards.

what are the through holes for? most platforms are screwed from the bottom up so you do not see the screws or bolts.

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
what are the through holes for? most platforms are screwed from the bottom up so you do not see the screws or bolts.

That model MariStar had the platform bolted underneath the S/S side/grab rails and bolted to the transom, similar to this one,

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
A 6" to 8" long dowel rod, cut down to fit in a drill and a slot cut in the dowel with sandpaper slid into the slot and wrapped around the dowel will go a long ways in sanding the edges of the openings, then all you have to do is hand sand and dress up the inside corners.

brucemac
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
no i definitely sanded before my first coat. in fact, i sanded, tilexed, wetsanded and then used teak cleaner, sanded some more, then used brightener before i ever put my first coat on. :)

yes the wood looked good to go and was dry before i ever put the first coat on. that's why i'm a little bummed. like i said, next time, i'll just strip that sucker down to clean wood with an electric sander and start over. the bright side is, it's just going to get hammered by my friends and family so i won't have a choice anyway. :D

each coat takes longer to dry. that last coat took almost 2 weeks to dry completely, but it's been cold and it's in my garage.

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
no i definitely sanded before my first coat. in fact, i sanded, tilexed, wetsanded and then used teak cleaner, sanded some more, then used brightener before i ever put my first coat on.

yes the wood looked good to go and was dry before i ever put the first coat on. that's why i'm a little bummed. like i said, next time, i'll just strip that sucker down to clean wood with an electric sander and start over. the bright side is, it's just going to get hammered by my friends and family so i won't have a choice anyway.

each coat takes longer to dry. that last coat took almost 2 weeks to dry completely, but it's been cold and it's in my garage.

2 WEEKS!!!! :rant: :cry: It's never going to get done in time!!! doh!

Well, it's in the 70s the last couple of days so hopefully that will help.

And the Maristars around my year have a grab rail that goes down the back to the platform as you can see in this very fine photo.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/mari.jpg

brucemac
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
ha ha, you can do it!
i live near seattle and it's been cold and wet. if you have some good decent weather with sun, you'll be fine. mine's been drying inside the garage. i think i only had to wait 4 or 5 days between my first couple coats.

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I went ahead and got the cleaner and brightener today. I just finished that part and I must say, why can't it look like this all the time. I'm sure it will be dull and ugly when it drys.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before4.jpg

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I went ahead and got the cleaner and brightener today. I just finished that part and I must say, why can't it look like this all the time. I'm sure it will be dull and ugly when it drys.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before4.jpg

Lynn's sitting here with her mouth open, saying OMG! Have you applied any teak oil yet, looks like it? As long as you can sit it in the sun till you are about to use it to allow it to dry, your on your way, then with some care, you can even lightly apply oil to it with your hand during the first of the week, allowing it to dry the rest of the week before use.

brucemac
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
hey No.1, am i doing myself any disservice by going ahead and sanding one more time and coating 1 or 2 more times or should i just call it good and start over next year since i've got those black areas still? lesson learned i guess. another month and i'll be on the water so don't really have enough time to start over this year, but there's always next. ;)

i guess what i'm asking is am i creating more work for myself if i continue? just looking for more sheen at this point. i'd be jumping from 600 to 1200 grit.

sorry for the hi-jack 92. more pics of progress please!

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
hey No.1, am i doing myself any disservice by going ahead and sanding one more time and coating 1 or 2 more times or should i just call it good and start over next year since i've got those black areas still? lesson learned i guess. another month and i'll be on the water so don't really have enough time to start over this year, but there's always next. ;)

i guess what i'm asking is am i creating more work for myself if i continue? just looking for more sheen at this point. i'd be jumping from 600 to 1200 grit.

sorry for the hi-jack 92. more pics of progress please!

If your going to try next year and redo it, I wouldn't add many more coats. But the glossier you want it, the finer paper you want to use and thinner coats applied by hand so they will dry quickly.

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Lynn's sitting here with her mouth open, saying OMG! Have you applied any teak oil yet, looks like it? As long as you can sit it in the sun till you are about to use it to allow it to dry, your on your way, then with some care, you can even lightly apply oil to it with your hand during the first of the week, allowing it to dry the rest of the week before use.

Sorry, Lynn, it's just still wet so it looks so good. This is what it looks like once it dried.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before3.jpg

I've still have a butt load of sanding to do before the first coat goes on. I hope it looks anything like it did when wet when it's done!

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry, Lynn, it's just still wet so it looks so good. This is what it looks like once it dried.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before3.jpg

I've still have a butt load of sanding to do before the first coat goes on. I hope it looks anything like it did when wet when it's done!

Get some oil on it as soon as the sanding is done, use a brush the first coat on the bottom and top to get oil in all the cracks and such, then level it all out with your hand to make it even. You've done a nice job!

brucemac
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
yeah nice work 92! that looks great. for some reason those pics weren't showing up for me earlier. thanks harold. i'll get it right next year.

Chicago190
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
92, can you give details on the steps you used to clean your platform up? Mine looks similar to yours did before you started. I gave a poor effort last year to clean mine up and it only looked good enough to get me through the summer.

What did you use to clean it, sand paper grit, etc.

Thanks

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
92, can you give details on the steps you used to clean your platform up? Mine looks similar to yours did before you started. I gave a poor effort last year to clean mine up and it only looked good enough to get me through the summer.

What did you use to clean it, sand paper grit, etc.

Thanks

Well, first I wash it with ivory dish soap as per NO1's instructions. The let it dry a bit, not to much and then got some 220 wet/dry paper. It was something I had from doing body work on my old 87 GMC Jimmy.

I use the 220 by hand with a soft sanding block. I was trying to block sand the large areas and then going in between the rungs to get the old dark oil off of it. Then the suggestion was made about a belt sander and palm sander.

I used the palm sander to flatting some of the really rough areas.

At this point it was suggested to use Star Bright cleaner and brightener. Which I did. I followed the instructions on the bottle mostly. Used the cleaner with a stiff bristle brush and let it soak in a for about five minutes. I wash it off use the same brush. Then the brightener. I sprayed it on with a spray bottle and used the same stiff brush to work it in. I never let the teak dry during this. I finally rinsed off the brightener with the same brush and let it dry.

I'm back to the palm sander and the 220 smoothing out the high spots and using 220 by hand in the rungs. I'm going to go get a wooden rod like No1 suggested and use that on the rungs. It's a PIA to do that area and I find myself drinking more beer then sanding at the point.

The one thing that keeps me going on this is the fact that No1 says he only uses 2000 grit once a year and some oil to keep it looking like his does.

The fact is I purchased this platform about 3 years after I had the boat and I "always" oiled it after ever outing and it looks like crap. I want it to look good with little yearly maintanence.

I hope my drunken posting helps someone out!

/tiphat to Harold and Lynn

I think I'll rename No1 to TOEmatterMan

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Anyone noticed I clean the bench up? No more truck parts in the way of my teak!!!

SkiDog
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Harold, will ya come and do mine BEFORE CSM?!;)

CantRepeat
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM

I'd be happy with that, at the end of summer!!! You surely didn't look at mine.

TMCNo1
03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I think you need to call 911, do you know the number?45421

cbryan70
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
TMC is hiding........i thought you were redoing 03's platform

JohnE
03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, first I wash it with ivory dish soap as per NO1's instructions. The let it dry a bit, not to much and then got some 220 wet/dry paper. It was something I had from doing body work on my old 87 GMC Jimmy.

I use the 220 by hand with a soft sanding block. I was trying to block sand the large areas and then going in between the rungs to get the old dark oil off of it. Then the suggestion was made about a belt sander and palm sander.

I used the palm sander to flatting some of the really rough areas.

At this point it was suggested to use Star Bright cleaner and brightener. Which I did. I followed the instructions on the bottle mostly. Used the cleaner with a stiff bristle brush and let it soak in a for about five minutes. I wash it off use the same brush. Then the brightener. I sprayed it on with a spray bottle and used the same stiff brush to work it in. I never let the teak dry during this. I finally rinsed off the brightener with the same brush and let it dry.

I'm back to the palm sander and the 220 smoothing out the high spots and using 220 by hand in the rungs. I'm going to go get a wooden rod like No1 suggested and use that on the rungs. It's a PIA to do that area and I find myself drinking more beer then sanding at the point.

The one thing that keeps me going on this is the fact that No1 says he only uses 2000 grit once a year and some oil to keep it looking like his does.

The fact is I purchased this platform about 3 years after I had the boat and I "always" oiled it after ever outing and it looks like crap. I want it to look good with little yearly maintanence.

I hope my drunken posting helps someone out!

/tiphat to Harold and Lynn

I think I'll rename No1 to TOEmatterMan

From one drunk to another: sand it, sand it, sand it, then seal it, obsess over it, and

then fugget about it. When it's all said and done it's all about getting someone to put a ski or board on and getting wet. I'd show you a pic from the end of last year of my platform, but I sold it. Work it in the off season and f it during the season. JMO. Unless you're behind the real #1 boat.:)

Gonzo
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Before the season starts to get this platform up to No1 standards!!!

Best advice I have gotten from this site from anyone (with the exception of No1 himself)

Put it in your truck, take it to a car wash and powerwash it there. Those sprayers are not strong enough to splinter it (unless you get too close, like I did in one spot) and you have soapy water ready with no problems.... that took yrs off of mine and it looked like crapola. then I did a modified no 1 starting with semi rough paper, oil, fine paper, oil, superfine paper and then oil.... here is a link to before and after. Check post 10 in the thread and understand this was after running it a few weekends but the first time I had waxed the hull.

whoops, man I need to start reading through these before posting ;)

CantRepeat
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I left work at 2 pm and made some progress with this, finally.

I got the 220 done after the cleaning and brightening and this is what I have.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before220.jpg

I ran some compressed air over it and then did the 400 on it and got this.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before440.jpg

I could feel the difference but really couldn't see it.

I ran some air over it and used a tac rag to pull any dust off the platform and brushed on the first coat of oil.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before1c.jpg

I then moved it to a room in my workshop that wont see the light of day until I check on it.

It seems that 2 days is the recommended wait on the first coat, is this true?

TMCNo1
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I left work at 2 pm and made some progress with this, finally.

I got the 220 done after the cleaning and brightening and this is what I have.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before220.jpg

I ran some compressed air over it and then did the 400 on it and got this.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before440.jpg

I could feel the difference but really couldn't see it.

I ran some air over it and used a tac rag to pull any dust off the platform and brushed on the first coat of oil.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before1c.jpg

I then moved it to a room in my workshop that wont see the light of day until I check on it.

It seems that 2 days is the recommended wait on the first coat, is this true?

Get it out in the warm sun and it will heat up and dry much quicker.
This is what I do with mine, after 3 to 4 hours it's plenty dry to sand a reapply teak oil,

CantRepeat
03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Um, I guess I could just leave it out on the bench that I'm sanding on at this point. I'm sure to sand out any dust at this point.

Harold, I plan on sanding again with the 400 and then doing second coat. Get this, I went to home depot and the finest paper they had was 600 grit. I guess I'll have to run over to car quest paint supply and get some finer sand papers.

No1, how ofter does your boat see the water? I ask because we go out every Sat, Sun and some Friday evenings from about the end of April until the end of Sept. My biggest interest in this is to lower the daily grind of oiling it when we get back home, which didn't do much to keep it nice looking through out the year.

I would oil the step everytime we came home from the lake and after a good washing of the boat and then a good dry it didn't stay nice looking.

I'm in love with the idea of polishing it up with 2000 grit paper and an oil once or twice a season. Is this something I can expect from a boat with so much usage?

On the side note: I love the brick work on your house. No oil on that stuff forsure!!

JohnE
03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
The finish will last all season using the boat 3 times a week. Last year the edge of our platform got worn down from the fins on the skis and boards. Other than that, 96% of the platform looked fantastic. Use a little caution and you'll have no issues.

brucemac
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
that pic up on the roof is classic :D

TMCNo1
03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
that pic up on the roof is classic :D

If it's 70 degrees, the sun is shining, it gets hot up there, so I use it as my teak oven!

TMCNo1
03-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Um, I guess I could just leave it out on the bench that I'm sanding on at this point. I'm sure to sand out any dust at this point.

Harold, I plan on sanding again with the 400 and then doing second coat. Get this, I went to home depot and the finest paper they had was 600 grit. I guess I'll have to run over to car quest paint supply and get some finer sand papers.

No1, how ofter does your boat see the water? I ask because we go out every Sat, Sun and some Friday evenings from about the end of April until the end of Sept. My biggest interest in this is to lower the daily grind of oiling it when we get back home, which didn't do much to keep it nice looking through out the year.

I would oil the step everytime we came home from the lake and after a good washing of the boat and then a good dry it didn't stay nice looking.

I'm in love with the idea of polishing it up with 2000 grit paper and an oil once or twice a season. Is this something I can expect from a boat with so much usage?

On the side note: I love the brick work on your house. No oil on that stuff forsure!!

The finish will last all season using the boat 3 times a week. Last year the edge of our platform got worn down from the fins on the skis and boards. Other than that, 96% of the platform looked fantastic. Use a little caution and you'll have no issues.

I agree with JohnE, after the basic coats, a little fine tuning once in a while during the summer use, then next winter you can just sand the hard finish and add a little oil over the winter for whatever finish you want.

Jim@BAWS
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
This is what I do with mine, after 3 to 4 hours it's plenty dry to sand a reapply teak oil,

Harolds is 8 feet closer to the sun...that is what makes the difference

HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

VOLFAN
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
You have plenty of time. I did mine per No. 1's instructions and it looked great!

Sur ebe sure to give it time to dry! It may take a week until you get that onegood day so it can sit out in the sun all day and cure, but it is well worth it to wait!!!

StarBrite Cleaner
Srarbrite Brightner
400grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer
600grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer
800grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer
1000grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer
1500grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer
2000grit
Starbrite Teak Sealer applied by hand

CantRepeat
03-20-2009, 05:32 PM
I got the first 400 done this morning so I tac it and blew the dust of it. Then brush on the second coat of oil. I have to say, I never expected that oil could dry to a shinny finish but it's working. It's pretty much dry in this photo but I'll wait until tomorrow to sand it again.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before2c.jpg

CantRepeat
03-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Harolds is 8 feet closer to the sun...that is what makes the difference

HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

BTW James, thanks for the deal on the decals!! Extremely good price on all 5 of them.

TMCNo1
03-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I got the first 400 done this morning so I tac it and blew the dust of it. Then brush on the second coat of oil. I have to say, I never expected that oil could dry to a shinny finish but it's working. It's pretty much dry in this photo but I'll wait until tomorrow to sand it again.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before2c.jpg

Now that's looking good! I think you'll gragiate with Honors!

shepherd
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
That teak is looking fantastic 92M. Great job!

Haven't you heard? Harold never puts his boat in the water! :eek:

brucemac
03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
great job!!!

CantRepeat
03-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Third coat after the wet/day 600 grit.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before3c.jpg

brucemac
03-21-2009, 04:01 PM
lookin good!

shepherd
03-21-2009, 11:39 PM
OK, I'm probably missing the obvious, but what are those 4 holes at opposite ends of your platform? :confused:

CantRepeat
03-22-2009, 07:12 AM
OK, I'm probably missing the obvious, but what are those 4 holes at opposite ends of your platform? :confused:

Grab rails on a Maristar.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/grabrails.jpg

mayo93prostar
03-24-2009, 07:33 AM
looks good 92. looks like it is almost ready to put on the boat and use it.

cf_koch
03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I hope I do not sound ignorant here but I have a quick question. When you suggest using "Star Brite Teak Sealer" is this the stuff you are refering too? If it is, are most of you using the Natural Light or Classic Teak?

It is starting to look a little like spring and the next best thing to getting out on the water is getting the boat ready to get out on the water.

flipper
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Most people here use this stuff.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Wood_Teak_Cleaners-STARBRITE_TEAK_OIL.html

cf_koch
03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks flipper- That is what I have always used but have refered to it as teak oil not sealer. By the looks of the platforms on this forum, I thought there might be some magic potion that I was unaware of.

flipper
03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Nope, just the process. I like to use the "Golden Teak Oil" myself, but most here use the white bottle.

cf_koch
03-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Nope, just the process. I like to use the "Golden Teak Oil" myself, but most here use the white bottle.

Time to get off the computer and start "the process"

flipper
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Time to get off the computer and start "the process"

Don't forget the pics

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I hope I do not sound ignorant here but I have a quick question. When you suggest using "Star Brite Teak Sealer" is this the stuff you are refering too? If it is, are most of you using the Natural Light or Classic Teak?

It is starting to look a little like spring and the next best thing to getting out on the water is getting the boat ready to get out on the water.

NO!!! Go back through this thread and check it out. I had the same issue. I read the PDF file where it said sealer and thought like you did. No1 and a few others let me know that it's the oil sealer that we need to use.

UPDATE: I'm stalled right now at the last 600 grit. Work is gonna be heavy until the 4th. I should be able to get a couple more sandings in right after that and will update.

CantRepeat
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

And that's what I had never done before was the process. I always oiled my step after coming back from the lake and it still turned to poo. I ask the questions about how long does this last and what kind of upkeep does it need.

I'm hoping that at the end of the season that it's just the quick 2000 rub down and some oil.

flipper
03-25-2009, 05:09 PM
And that's what I had never done before was the process. I always oiled my step after coming back from the lake and it still turned to poo. I ask the questions about how long does this last and what kind of upkeep does it need.

I'm hoping that at the end of the season that it's just the quick 2000 rub down and some oil.

Long as it soak oil until it won't soak any more up, it will last all year. Just have to get all the oil into the wood that it will take.

CantRepeat
03-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Is this the same stuff, but packaged differently?

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/STA/STA81600.html

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Is this the same stuff, but packaged differently?

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/STA/STA81600.html

Same stuff, yes, but trust me you'll not need a gallon, the 32oz, ( Part # STA 81632 ) will last you for years.

CantRepeat
03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Same stuff, yes, but trust me you'll not need a gallon, the 32oz, ( Part # STA 81632 ) will last you for years.

It's to late No1. I ran out last weekend and was going to work on the step some more today when I remembered I was out of the oil. It kind of made me a little mad at myself so I ordered a gallon.

TMCNo1
03-28-2009, 12:40 PM
It's to late No1. I ran out last weekend and was going to work on the step some more today when I remembered I was out of the oil. It kind of made me a little mad at myself so I ordered a gallon.

Well, if you run out of something to drink around the house, you've got a gallon of Starbrite to fall back on!

CantRepeat
04-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Well, if you run out of something to drink around the house, you've got a gallon of Starbrite to fall back on!

I received the gallon last week and will get back on this today provided it does not rain.

CantRepeat
04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I got the rub rail on and started back on the platform. I got the 800 grit done so 3 more sandings and 3 more oil jobs and I'm done with that!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/backyard.jpg

Rub rail on just need to get the rubber in.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before5.jpg

800 done, just need the 1200, 1500 and 2000.

Cloaked
04-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Cheers......

TMCNo1
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I got the rub rail on and started back on the platform. I got the 800 grit done so 3 more sandings and 3 more oil jobs and I'm done with that!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/backyard.jpg

Rub rail on just need to get the rubber in.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/before5.jpg

800 done, just need the 1200, 1500 and 2000.

Lynn says "Holy Cow!" Remarkable job so far, but remember, be patient, you can ruin it if you get in a hurry and start taking shortcuts!

BTW, what did you originally think, making this statement, "I don't think there are enough hours left..."?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

CantRepeat
04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, Lynn, thanks. Harold, how long have I been at this? A month and there are storms coming again tomorrow. I have two orders I need to get done too and it's gonna be a Monday.

With the weather the way it is it's gonna take a week or more for he 800 to dry. Then 3 more rounds of this. I can finally see that it's gonna look pretty darn good when done. But it's still a ways off and summer is just around the corner so I say, are there enough hours left to get this up to No1 standards?

Thanks for the motivation! The boat is gonna look pretty darn good this year.

coz
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, Lynn, thanks. Harold, how long have I been at this? A month and there are storms coming again tomorrow. I have two orders I need to get done too and it's gonna be a Monday.

With the weather the way it is it's gonna take a week or more for he 800 to dry. Then 3 more rounds of this. I can finally see that it's gonna look pretty darn good when done. But it's still a ways off and summer is just around the corner so I say, are there enough hours left to get this up to No1 standards?

Thanks for the motivation! The boat is gonna look pretty darn good this year.

You've made a 1 day job into a month and a half project? holy moses dude! :eek: you going for a piano finish on that platform? :eek: it's gonna be so slipery you're gonna slip of that thing when it gets wet :confused:

They don't even do that much sanding on custom furniture :rolleyes:

BriEOD
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Nice work!

That said, I have to ask: what is your intended purpose for the platform? If your going to use it to put on skis, wakeboards, etc., I'd say it is a little overkill. But, that's me. Mine sees plenty of skis, boards, and butts. I keep the sun off it and put some oil on it now and again. Conversely, if your looking to put it in a reunion, or just looking to be TMCNo1's "mini-me," good on ya it is a beautiful piece of teak. :D

FWIW

CantRepeat
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
You've made a 1 day job into a month and a half project? holy moses dude! :eek: you going for a piano finish on that platform? :eek: it's gonna be so slipery you're gonna slip of that thing when it gets wet :confused:

They don't even do that much sanding on custom furniture :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you have going on but this is no way a 1 day job, sorry. What I'm going for a is a finish that will last a season and will take little to no work to keep it there.

Thanks for the input though. MiniMe, nice jab... I guess. I'm pretty much sure this is the last post in this thread.

BriEOD
04-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Harold I just saw this! I'm glad it works for you, but I got a chuckle out of it. Is this like the Krabby Patty secret formula or what?:D

Your platform is beautiful--kudos to ya.:cool:

ProTour X9
04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Harold, I followed your method to the dot last fall and got the boat out today for the first time, and the water beaded right up the platform and it looks awesome!

TMCNo1
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Nice work!

That said, I have to ask: what is your intended purpose for the platform? If your going to use it to put on skis, wakeboards, etc., I'd say it is a little overkill. But, that's me. Mine sees plenty of skis, boards, and butts. I keep the sun off it and put some oil on it now and again. Conversely, if your looking to put it in a reunion, or just looking to be TMCNo1's "mini-me," good on ya it is a beautiful piece of teak. :D

FWIW

And to think, some people wax their bilge, change their wheels, clean their window glass, add amps/speakers/lights/batteries, add custom wraps, put a TV in their boat, LED lighting, I'm just sayin', what's overkill? To each his own, besides, we haven't been to a reunion in 4 years and don't plan on going another one, yet I still keep the platform up.

coz
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
And to think, some people wax their bilge, change their wheels, clean their window glass, add amps/speakers/lights/batteries, add custom wraps, put a TV in their boat, LED lighting, I'm just sayin', what's overkill? To each his own, besides, we haven't been to a reunion in 4 years and don't plan on going another one, yet I still keep the platform up.

You forgot ballast's #1.....................just saying :D

TMCNo1
04-12-2009, 09:49 PM
You forgot ballast's #1.....................just saying :D

Yea, yea, yea, I will catch hell here shortly on a couple of my my current projects!:rolleyes::D

coz
04-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Yea, yea, yea, I will catch hell here shortly on a couple of my my current projects!:rolleyes::D

Lynn finally talked you into that tower with lights & racks? Alright! :headbang:

TMCNo1
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Lynn finally talked you into that tower with lights & racks? Alright! :headbang:

No not quite, but I think we shouild all switch to Orange Glo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-VrXmUmf8o&feature=related

coz
04-12-2009, 11:00 PM
No not quite, but I think we shouild all switch to Orange Glo

oh wonderful :confused: first you tell us teak oil and we all go out and lube our steps and now you're saying we should have used orange glo? :confused: dang! you get that 92Maristar? you did it all wrong :confused: so go ahead and start the redo with orange glo thread :D

CantRepeat
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
After many hours I finally completed the last coat of oil 2 days ago. In the end the results are very nice and the effort that was put into refinishing the platform was well spent. If it holds up like #1 says it will I'll very happy at the end of the season.

Thank you Harold for putting the PDF together.

russlars
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
After many hours I finally completed the last coat of oil 2 days ago. In the end the results are very nice and the effort that was put into refinishing the platform was well spent. If it holds up like #1 says it will I'll very happy at the end of the season.

Thank you Harold for putting the PDF together.

Looks awesome 92 Maristar. Almost makes me want a teak platform. However, my friend is interested in refinishing his. Can you or #1 send me the link to the PDF you speak of? I would like to pass it on to him. Thanks.

CantRepeat
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks! Here is a link to the post that has the PDF attached. Be sure to understand that the PDF talks about sealer and what Harold means by sealer is the Starbrite teak oil sealer.

This stuff.
http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1051&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Teak%20Cleaners%20and%20Protectors&ProductSSCat=Teak%20Oil

Here is the PDF.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=150097&postcount=28

LanceD
09-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm having a difficult time locating the pdf. Any able to direct me?

Thanks,
Lance