PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Buddy issue

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
My other boat sits on a Shorelander trailer. Last fall the bearing buddy self ejected while going down the road. Fortunately it was a short trip home when I found the missing bearing buddy and no damage was done. The bearings seemed ok and I inspected the hub and saw nothing wrong, so I pounded in another bearing buddy and greased it up. Three trips later the same thing happened to the same hub. That was the last trip of the year and the boat has been in storage since then. Anyone have a similar experience? There was no indication that the hub bore was damaged, as the replacement bearing buddy went in with quite a bit of effort. The tire and wheel seemed to be fine. I'm starting to think that the bore of the hub is the culprit, but can't guess how that could suddenly happen. I am going to bring the boat back from northern WI this weekend, and was hoping someone would have some wonderful insight as I need to resolve this in order to haul it back.

NeilM
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
bearing is likely running hot or a vibration (assuming buddy itself is fine-swap it around w/another to see). for how little it costs, i'd replace bearings on that wheel.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Thats the plan. I was just a little concerned that I may need to replace the hub if the bore has managed to open up.

vogelm1
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I had this happen several times on my Shoreland'r...coincidentally it was shortly after I repacked the bearings. Finally figured out that the side that kept throwing the bearing buddy had just a bit too much free play in the hub. Road vibrations were working it off. Somebody along the way told me it's better to have the bearings adjusted a little too loose than too tight (duh). Did some more research into this and found that most of the shops that work on bearings snug the nut down good with an adjustable wrench, then loosen the nut - and without turning the hub - snug the nut back down finger tight only. Put in the cotter key, tap on the bearing buddy and call 'er good. That has always set the correct preload on the bearings and never lost a bearing buddy after that.:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I had this happen several times on my Shoreland'r...coincidentally it was shortly after I repacked the bearings. Finally figured out that the side that kept throwing the bearing buddy had just a bit too much free play in the hub. Road vibrations were working it off. Somebody along the way told me it's better to have the bearings adjusted a little too loose than too tight (duh). Did some more research into this and found that most of the shops that work on bearings snug the nut down good with an adjustable wrench, then loosen the nut - and without turning the hub - snug the nut back down finger tight only. Put in the cotter key, tap on the bearing buddy and call 'er good. That has always set the correct preload on the bearings and never lost a bearing buddy after that.:cool:

That all makes sense. I had not done anything with the bearings on that trailer other than grease the bearing buddy. It just seemed odd that one day after having the boat and trailer for two years to have the bearing buddy fall off.

I think I will first check to see how much free play there is - perhaps the bearings are about to fail and there is a lot of play there. Then take the bearings out and check them.

Thanks

cf_koch
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
On my old Sea Ray andd Tee Nee trailer I had a bearing buddy self destruct while towing the boat home. I replaced the BB, threw the second one in my tool box and headed out to the lake the following weekend. When I arrived at the lake I noticed that the BB was missing again. Upon closer inspection I notice that there was a snap ring from the 1st BB still on the hub which prevented the new BB from seating properly. Once I got the snap ring off of the hub I never lost another Bearing Buddy. You might want to check. Sometimes it is not easy to see what you have when you are looking at a hub covered in greese.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks cf, I will take a look.

JUST-IN-TIME
03-17-2009, 12:58 AM
put some red loctite on the buddy
i have seen guys drill holes and screw in set screws also