PDA

View Full Version : Volvo?

Datdude
03-16-2009, 12:29 PM
My wife currently has a Nissan Murano, but the lease is up soon and the search for a new vehicle has begun. We drove some Volvos (XC70 and XC90) on Saturday and she fell in love with them. Does anyobe have any experience with newer Volvos? They seemed very well built and very comfortable.

The XC90 topped her list

1. Volvo XC90
2. Nissan Murano
3. GMC Acadia
4. Volvo XC70
5. Mazda CX9
6. GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe (My favorite, but she thinks they are a little too big:mad:)

Any input or experience with any of these other vehicles would also be appreciated!

We still need to drive....
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Venza
Honda Pilot
Lincoln MKX

erkoehler
03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Found it :)

flipper
03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
A friend of mine has a newer Volvo, and has had no problem with it at all. They love it

russlars
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
My wife also drives a Murano and your short list looks similar to what ours was. The Mazda CX 9 was a close second, but my wife really liked the responsiveness of the Murano. The CX 9 seemed a little sluggish. We looked at the Volvo's but thought they were a little overpriced. Wish we were shopping now instead of last year. You should be able to get some good bargains out there. Good Luck.

Monte
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
My wife currently has a Nissan Murano, but the lease is up soon and the search for a new vehicle has begun. We drove some Volvos (XC70 and XC90) on Saturday and she fell in love with them. Does anyobe have any experience with newer Volvos? They seemed very well built and very comfortable.

The XC90 topped her list

1. Volvo XC90
2. Nissan Murano
3. GMC Acadia
4. Volvo XC70
5. Mazda CX9
6. GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe (she thinks they are a little too big:mad:)

Any input or experience with any of these other vehicles would also be appreciated!

Any experience

I can help you narrow down your list some even though I have no experience with Volvo. GMC's 6 cyl drinks gas. You are better off with a V-8, especially if you can find the 4/8. My last experience with a Nissan (6cyl supercharged) was a gas guzzler as well. 14.7 MPG with the GMC 6 cyl:mad:. The Nissan was not much better. Both held up very well, but the major gripe was less power for more gas:confused:

stuartmcnair
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I have had several Volvos and family members drive them as well. My aunt and uncle have an XC90 and love it. After they bought it they loved it so much they went and bought a Volvo sedan. My sister has a volvo wagon and it has been a great car. 15 years old and will still smoke the tires and embarrass a lot of "sports" cars. My dad has an S80 with the twin turbo six cylinder and that car is awesome. You can save a lot of money buy purchasing used. If they have been properly maintained they will last forever.

bigmac
03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Volvos are highly rated, and really nice vehicles. My wife's Murano lease is also up in the next month or two. She is opting for another Murano - looked at the Volvos but felt they were a little overpriced. That may be a local thing relative to the respective dealers, but there's no denying that her previous two Muranos have really been excellent vehicles and have met her needs very, very well.

maxpower220
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
My wife is on her second Volvo. Both have been very good cars. The first one was a little of a pain as the lights burned out too much. That was easy to fix, but very annoying. The S60R is a great car.
Volvos are very safe cars and if you buy used, they are priced great. I would recommend them as a company.

Datdude
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Volvos are highly rated, and really nice vehicles. My wife's Murano lease is also up in the next month or two. She is opting for another Murano - looked at the Volvos but felt they were a little overpriced. That may be a local thing relative to the respective dealers, but there's no denying that her previous two Muranos have really been excellent vehicles and have met her needs very, very well.

My wife's Murano is a 2005 and the 2009 we drove was a VERY nice vehicle! They are also very spacious inside which is nice because they are not "large" vehicles. The CX9 felt similar in size, but the interior seemed a little cheaper than the Murano. I think it is just the different materials used. The Murano we drove was an all wheel drive SL with leather and the dual panel moonroof. The sticker on that was $34,815 which seems to be considerably cheaper than every other similarly equipped vehicle. The Mazda CX9 Grand Touring was around $39,000, the Acadia was over $40,000, the Volvo XC70 was $42,000 and the XC90 was around $45,000 (with navi which I would not get). Looking on the used market I found a few certified 2008 XC90s around $30,000. They are listed in Carfax as rental vehicles which scares me a little since I know how rental vehicles are sometimes driven. I am thinking that someone that rents a Volvo is not going to be beating on it, but I could be wrong?

We are torn between leasing and buying. I really like the convenience of leasing, but with some manufacturers it is not as good of a deal as it used to be(lower residual values). I have a short attention span with vehicles so the thought of a new vehicle (under warranty) every 3 years is nice. Nissan had the best lease price, but also had the cheapest sticker price too. There are so many nice vehicles out there and it is very confusing.

The Volvo salesman has a 1994 sedan that he bought new and it has 430,000 miles on it which is pretty impressive. This thing was MINT! He also told us about the fact that the jaws of life can not cut through the Volvo so they have to cut the door hinges off to get inside. Safety is number one on my list since we will be starting a family sometime in the near future. If a decison had to be made today it would be a XC90 or Murano I guess?

Thanks for the input!

Datdude
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Found it :)

is that your new ride? I already have one of those;)

ttu
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
i really like the look of the new bodystyle highlander. test drove one for the fun of it when i purchased my new sequoia. the interior was very lexus like.

my girlfriend had the last version and i really enjoyed driving it. she now has a newer body pathfinder and i can't stand to drive it.

russlars
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Having had a Murano you are obviously familiar with the CVT Transmission. Apparently they are holding up well but that was my only concern with the Murano. It is a little strange to drive at first because it doesn't shift, but you get used to it. It must really help with the fuel economy though because we have been quite pleased with the MPG we area getting and it seems to have plenty of power on tap when you need it. We bought one of the last 2007's right before they came out with the 2009 (didn't offer a 2008).

Ski-me
03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
We just went through this so I'll give you my experience.

We had an 04' XC90 (T6) model. My wife loved it and it was fun to drive. Unfortunately, the T6 had some issues and did use more gas (16 mpg) than the newer 6 cylinder (18 mpg -mixed driving). We also had to bring it to the shop on a regular basis for little repairs here and there. Mainly check engine light, faulty headlights, steering issues, etc. We bought the vehicle certified to 100k so I didn't worry too much on the expenses.....just a pain to keep bringing it in if they don't have a loaner type program. Overall, fun car to drive. The 4wd doesn't work too well if you get stuck though. If you try to rock it out of a snow ditch, by the time the power gets to the wheels, the momentum is lost. I think it has to do with the dynamic stability control.

Because of the gas, we went extremely the other way and got a Camry Hybrid. Great car, nothing wrong with it and got 34 mpg combined. Economically, it's a great choice.....just not thrilling to drive. It was comfortable though.

So, onto our next vehicle. After a lot of looking at CX9, CX7, Sante Fe, BMW X5 :D, Lexus GX and Lexus RX, we ended up with the Lexus 400h. It is very similar in size as the Murano but has the Toyota Quality. We originally bought the v-8 X5 but had electrical issues the same night so we returned back to the dealer (I still love that car though and was a blast to drive!)

We drove the Lexus 330 and then the Lexus 400h (Hybrid).....huge difference between the two! The 400 rode much more comfortable and the power...wow....something you don't expect from a hybrid. It takes off much quicker than the 330 and claims to be faster than the v8 X5 and Porche Chayenne. The combined gas mileage is about 26-28 around town and my wife loves it!! It is also certified to 100k but I'm not nearly as worried as I was for the Volvo.

We paid $33k for an 07' with 21k miles on it (AWD). I would recommend paying cash on a 2-4 year old rather than finance or Fleece.....only because I support the Dave Ramsey method.

My wife still really likes the Volvo but based on the past history, she steered away.

Also, if you do want to add XM or Ipod, the Volvo XC90's are hard to integrate. After a lot of studying, we could only get XM using an FM transmitter. The Volvo uses a fiber optic system so it's nearly impossible for the aftermarket stereos to tie into them.

Keep in mind, ours was a T6.....the newer ones may have improved over the years.

Hope this helps....

Datdude
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Having had a Murano you are obviously familiar with the CVT Transmission. Apparently they are holding up well but that was my only concern with the Murano. It is a little strange to drive at first because it doesn't shift, but you get used to it. It must really help with the fuel economy though because we have been quite pleased with the MPG we area getting and it seems to have plenty of power on tap when you need it. We bought one of the last 2007's right before they came out with the 2009 (didn't offer a 2008).

I think she is getting around 22-23mpg on the highway which is not too bad. It is also a very sporty feeling vehicle which is fun. The CVT takes some time to get used to, but it works well.

Thanks for the info Jeff in CO! She found a few Lexus RX's online, but we have not driven one yet. My sister has a newer GX that I drove over Christmas. It was a very nice vehicle, but was hard to keep in a straight line on the highway. I did like the room and the interior quality. The RX is one I forgot to list that we need to drive.

Ski-me
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
We drove the 330 or 350 (no thrills), then the V8 GX and finally the 400h. The pickup on the V8 GX and the 400h were very similar. I couldn't believe it. It just depends on if you like the look of it or not.

We did do a little research on the Highlander and have heard it's a little "tinny" compared to the Lexus. We spoke with the owner of the Toyota dealer (a friend) and he agreed but also said the new Highlander is much improved and they have really worked to quiet down the inside of the vehicle to compare closer to the Lexus.

We didn't look at it because we didn't want to buy new.

We found ours down in Texas....much better deals and more of them to compare. In Colorado, we only found about 2 400h's......in TX my wife tried about 10 different 400h's. Prices were cheaper down there as well by about $4,000-$5,000.

ttu
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
the newer highlanders are much bigger than the previous model.

my mother has a 04 rx330 awd. she lives up in evergreen co, and it handles great on all road conditions.

my dad and step monster have a 07 rx350 fwd. it does have better power between the two.

the gx series is based on a 4runner platform.

bigmac
03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
We are torn between leasing and buying. I really like the convenience of leasing, but with some manufacturers it is not as good of a deal as it used to be(lower residual values). I have a short attention span with vehicles so the thought of a new vehicle (under warranty) every 3 years is nice. Nissan had the best lease price, but also had the cheapest sticker price too.
The advantage to leasing IMHO is that you are only paying for the part of the vehicle that you are using - the residual value of the vehicle isn't figured into your purchase price - IOW purchase price of the vehicle minus residucal value, divided by 36. If you buy, then you are paying for that residual value up front and your payments are based on that -- IOW entire purchase price of the vehicle divided by 3. Either way, you're, gambling on the residual value. At least with a lease, the residual value the gamble is more the leasing company's - you can always just walk away.

Usually, I try to find a dealer that offers several different leasing companies. The variable tends to be the residual value. If I thought I might buy the vehicle at the end of the lease, I'd go for a low residual value. If not, I'd go for the highest residual value because it means the lease payments are lower. I've bought vehicles at the end of a lease before - twice I've found that the residual value was so far below market that I could buy it back and sell it for a nice profit. On one of those, a 1999 Silverado, I bought it and my son is still driving it.

Now that leasing is so popular, the deals are more confusing than they used to be. On the other side of the coin, states have passed legislation to clean up a lot of that confusion. I like leasing because you can lease a more expensive vehicle than you might be willing to pay for up front, then you can just walk away from it at the end of the lease. If you then lease your next vehicle from that same company, they will almost always waive the up-front fees, as well as any mileage overage, and the auto companies will often have a variety of leasing incentives on top of the deal. It usually works out to be a pretty good deal, plus, you drive a new vehicle every 2-3 years without having to worry about getting ripped off on the trade-in, or putting an ad in the paper/Craigslist.

BrianM
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Looked at Subaru? I looked at many of the same cars back in '05 and ended up with an Outback. Great car. Had it for 5 years and 105k so far and not a lick of trouble.

Datdude
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I like the fact that the residual is the risk of the bank, and not me. Our current Murano is available for purchase at $15,500.....but the actual trade-in value is around $12,500. With that being the case, we are going to walk away from it and move on. The car has 40,000 miles and is in excellent shape. If the numbers were reversed, we would probably buy it and drie it, or trade it and make some money. With so many companies getting hosed on the residual values, they have lowered them which has driven up payments. On a Chevy Traverse it was $74 per month less to lease it. For that little bit of difference I would guess you would be better off to buy it, keep it an extra 2 years to get it payed off (or less) and have something to show for it. If I remember correctly the Murano was over $200 per month cheaper to lease. That starts to add up fast! If at the end of the lease we still like the vehicle and the numbers work out, we can buy it. If we are sick of it, or the numbers don't work.....give 'em the keys back and move on:D. I was surprised to learn that Nissan will not negotiate the buyout of a lease vehicle. I would think they would want to do everything in their power to get rid of that car without the costs associated with sending it to an auction where it will not bring the residual anyways. I am not sure which company it is with, but my parents have a lease on a 2006 BMW 650 convertible. They love the car and would like to purchase it at the end of the lease. They have been in contact with the finance company and they are willing to deal a little bit as the residual is higher than book value by $5000. I am not sure how low they will go, but they are trying (unlike Nissan):rolleyes:. Maybe Nissan thinks they are "forcing" us to get out of it and into a new one? I was also surprised to learn that Nissan would only offer a $500 lease credit to get out of ours a few months early. For me, getting someone to sign another 36 month contract would be worth more than the $1000 it would cost them. Maybe I am not that smart?

Datdude
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Looked at Subaru? I looked at many of the same cars back in '05 and ended up with an Outback. Great car. Had it for 5 years and 105k so far and not a lick of trouble.

Yeah, the Volvo dealer also sells Subaru. We looked at the Outback and the Forrester. We need a wagon/suv since we have a dog and will eventually have a kid or two. We also need AWD/4x4 living in Northern Wisconsin. The Subaru Outback seemed to be a good fit. The Outback and Forrester are a lot of vehicle for the money, but getting out of that and into a Volvo 2 minutes later made the Subaru feel very cheap. The Forrester we drove was loaded with leather, moonroof, etc. The leather felt cheap and the interior was not as nice as I would have hoped. The Forrester felt like you were sitting on the floor and the dash felt very high. The new design looks nice, but is not a favorite by any means. They are much better looking than the older style IMHO. I would say the Outback is a better choice in the Subaru line. I thought they were about the same size as the XC70, but the Outback seems a lot smaller inside. Again, for the money it is a lot of car, but might be too small?

BrianM
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the Volvo dealer also sells Subaru. We looked at the Outback and the Forrester. We need a wagon/suv since we have a dog and will eventually have a kid or two. We also need AWD/4x4 living in Northern Wisconsin. The Subaru Outback seemed to be a good fit. The Outback and Forrester are a lot of vehicle for the money, but getting out of that and into a Volvo 2 minutes later made the Subaru feel very cheap. The Forrester we drove was loaded with leather, moonroof, etc. The leather felt cheap and the interior was not as nice as I would have hoped. The Forrester felt like you were sitting on the floor and the dash felt very high. The new design looks nice, but is not a favorite by any means. They are much better looking than the older style IMHO. I would say the Outback is a better choice in the Subaru line. I thought they were about the same size as the XC70, but the Outback seems a lot smaller inside. Again, for the money it is a lot of car, but might be too small?
Forester is definitely not going to compare to the Volvo and you are correct in that the Outbacks are a bit smaller than an XC70. Bang for the $$ can't be beat with the Subi though and a loaded out 3.0R should give the Volvo a serious run for the money on all fronts. That being said you can't beat the seats in a Volvo. The absolute most comfortable seat made IMO. Looked at the Tribeca at all? That is probably closer interior size wise to the other cars you are shopping.

Datdude
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Forester is definitely not going to compare to the Volvo and you are correct in that the Outbacks are a bit smaller than an XC70. Bang for the $$ can't be beat with the Subi though and a loaded out 3.0R should give the Volvo a serious run for the money on all fronts. That being said you can't beat the seats in a Volvo. The absolute most comfortable seat made IMO. Looked at the Tribeca at all? That is probably closer interior size wise to the other cars you are shopping.

I agree the bang for buck is awesome on a Subaru. The Tribeca would be a closer comparison to what we were looking at, but the dealer did not have one on their lot. They have 5 or 6 Outbacks, 5 or 6 Forresters, and 5 Volvos with the rest being used stuff. I have a call into the dealer to see if they have any Tribecas coming in. The Volvo salesman informed us that the seats are designed by orthopedic surgeons and they were very comfortable.......but the seats in the Yukon we drove were more comfortable (a little softer).:rolleyes::D

Monte
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree the bang for buck is awesome on a Subaru.

Don't know how stuck on new you are, but here is what I would consider a deal on a Subaru. Note it does have a salvage title, but cars are "all metal" anyway:cool:
http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages/1029/vehicles/1008877/2007_subaru_outback.html#top

Datdude
03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Don't know how stuck on new you are, but here is what I would consider a deal on a Subaru. Note it does have a salvage title, but cars are "all metal" anyway:cool:
http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages/1029/vehicles/1008877/2007_subaru_outback.html#top

That is cheap, but I am going to have to pass on "salvage" car:D

Maristar210
03-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Don't buy a pice of crap Subaru whatever you do. Garbage cars IMO.

My wifes list was very simlar but in the end the price and room inside the XC and the BMW X series was as small the the coupe she was coming out of. Baseball games and tailgating requirements would not be met in either. She ended up with a Yukon Denali and it is the best vehicle we have ever owned....

If you're wife still insists it's too big you might want to look at the Audi. :twocents:

edit:\\ and go CUBS !!!!!

Datdude
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't buy a pice of crap Subaru whatever you do. Garbage cars IMO.

My wifes list was very simlar but in the end the price and room inside the XC and the BMW X series was as small the the coupe she was coming out of. Baseball games and tailgating requirements would not be met in either. She ended up with a Yukon Denali and it is the best vehicle we have ever owned....

If you're wife still insists it's too big you might want to look at the Audi. :twocents:

edit:\\ and go CUBS !!!!!

I have been pushing hard for some time on a Tahoe/Yukon. I think with a little more work I can get her to crack:D.

The Nissan dealer had a new Audi Q5, but it looked small. We did not get in it or drive it....just looked small like an X3. The Q7 is cool looking too, but they are not cheap

That beer is going to taste good! Cubs SUCK:cool:

flipper
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I have been pushing hard for some time on a Tahoe/Yukon. I think with a little more work I can get her to crack:D.

The Nissan dealer had a new Audi Q5, but it looked small. We did not get in it or drive it....just looked small like an X3. The Q7 is cool looking too, but they are not cheap

That beer is going to taste good! Cubs SUCK:cool:

I have an 07 Yukon and love it. The only thing I'd change is the gears. Get the shorter gears if possible

Datdude
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I have an 07 Yukon and love it. The only thing I'd change is the gears. Get the shorter gears if possible

what gears are available?

Ski-me
03-17-2009, 06:18 PM
My friend has an 07' Caddy Suburban and LOVES it (and he is a Ford guy)! I think he has the 6.2L engine, AWD and 6 speed tranny. He is consistenly getting 18-19 on the highway. I would assume the comparable "Tahoe" size might even do better given the same drivetrain.

I really think that the 6-speed helps a lot but was only offered in the high end trucks....GMC Denali, Cadillac Escalade and (maybe Chevy LTZ???).

He also tows his 30' trailer with it no problem......(replaced his V10 Excursion).

FYI - I love my 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1L.....other than the mileage 11-12 mpg. However, it tows great!:cool:

flipper
03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
what gears are available?

3:42 and 3:73. check this thread out

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21244

flipper
03-17-2009, 06:22 PM
The 3:42 gears are okay, but a little more off the line would be nice. Once you get the RPM's up a little, it does fine.

jpattigr
03-17-2009, 10:55 PM
MDX is a great SUV and has lots of room and 3rd row seat. We have one and am very happy with it. Had a BMW X5 (V8) before and was happy with it also but was little small found the MDX to be a perfect size. Lexus was nice but smaller then the BMW.
With programs out now the MDX was less expensive then a Honda Pilot and much nicer overall with more features.

BrianM
03-18-2009, 09:01 AM
As of '09 the 6 speed is now in ALL of the Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade/Avalanche vehicles.
My friend has an 07' Caddy Suburban and LOVES it (and he is a Ford guy)! I think he has the 6.2L engine, AWD and 6 speed tranny. He is consistenly getting 18-19 on the highway. I would assume the comparable "Tahoe" size might even do better given the same drivetrain.

I really think that the 6-speed helps a lot but was only offered in the high end trucks....GMC Denali, Cadillac Escalade and (maybe Chevy LTZ???).

He also tows his 30' trailer with it no problem......(replaced his V10 Excursion).

FYI - I love my 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1L.....other than the mileage 11-12 mpg. However, it tows great!:cool:

Jim@BAWS
03-18-2009, 05:08 PM
6. GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe (My favorite, but she thinks they are a little too big)

We just downsized from a YUKON XL (Suburban) down to a Yukon HYBRID. Love the truck and its features. VERY POWERFUL It has a 6.0 Litre motor. It runs in 3 modes 100% electricity Full V-8 or in 4 cylinders. We are getiing AWESOME Mileage on average around town 26 MPG or more

Jim@BAWS

GM is making some AWESOME deals right now

MSRP is $53000 w/ the Sunroof and DVD Player.
Supplier pricing was $46000

$5000 REBATE is what we got + $3500 off for a DEMOSTRATOR and
$20000 on trade for the Yukon XL

Jim@BAWS

Datdude
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Tahoe LTZ this morning:cool::D

flipper
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Congrats, nice lookin' ride

vogelm1
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Sweet...I'm envious. Love those wheels too. :cool:

jpattigr
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Obama will give you warranty on that sweet ride!!

Congrats!

Datdude
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Congrats, nice lookin' ride

Thank you!

Sweet...I'm envious. Love those wheels too.

It's all about the wheels;)

Obama will give you warranty on that sweet ride!!

Congrats!

That's nice of him. I heard he would pay for it too:confused::rolleyes::D