PDA

View Full Version : Florida Boaters Day trip idea.....

Stritt
05-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Took the boat to Silver River (Silver Springs park in Ocala) yesterday. If you live any where near central florida and want a day trip this was a good one.

We put in on Haines Creek (part of the Harris Chain). It took 1 1/2 hours at cruising speed to reach the Silver river run. Part of the drive is on a lake, other is a canal with locks, and finally the last leg looks like a river in a jungle!

You know you have reached the river because the water turns CLEAR! (rare thing for florida). We went all the way up the river swam and just hung out! Then there are the monkeys left over from the Tarzan filming days in the'30's (??). They came to the shoreline next to the boat looking for hand-outs. Kids loved it!

This is neat day long trip. Wouldn't do alot of skiing due to the amount of gators we encountered....but thats me.

The last leg to the river gets tight and narrow with alot of downed trees, so you need to be careful.

Well worth the trip!

Umm, like a dummy frgot the camera!

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I did Blue Spring once to see the manatees, we just brought the canoe though to get better access to some small creeks and streams taht bled off of the St' Johns and that was great. I see the signs for Silver Springs all the time when I head to Gainesville for school, I will definitley have to check it out.

rodltg2
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
monkeys? sweet

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
If it's anything like Blue Spring, I can imagine just how many gators you saw, we saw a ton, although the most I have seen is just south of Melbourne in Palm Bay at Turkey Creek nature preserve. Same isea though, jungle like creek with a complete canopy grown over top and a lot of downed trees. Look almost prehistoric, espcially when you look around and see all of the gators lining the sides of the creek. :eek: