PDA

View Full Version : K&N oil filter

ntidsl
03-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I picked up a K&N oil filter for my 2005 MCX. Can't find it on cross reference charts. Anyone using it?

ntidsl
03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
By the way K&N 2002. AutoZone crossed it for the PZ3 and it came rihght up on the computer.

2RLAKE
03-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I typically use that one too ... hard to find, but it has a great micron filter rating, meaning it filters more dirt than a typical filter

bigmac
03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
K&N makes good stuff. I don't know who makes their oil filters (maybe they make them) but I'm sure they're fine. Their filter material is more porous, designed to maintain higher filtered flow rates rather than going to the bypass valve when the filter rate is exceeded. IMHO, this is important in an engine that is operated at high RPMs for long periods, but less important in a boat, where most of the time is spent at cruising or idle RPM. Optimal, IMHO, would be a filter that has more filtration (finer filter material) since most of the engine operating time in our boats is going to be in the RPM range where you wouldn't be going to through the bypass valve. I use Wix oil filters, in part for that reason, but primarily because they're readily available (NAPA) - best compromise between convenient availability and performance. The K&N wouldn't be my first choice, but we operate these boats in pretty dust-and-grit-free environments so IMHO the oil filter design isn't that important. The construction of it is, however, and is the reason one should perhaps avoid Fram-made filters, including the PZ-3.

The construction of the K&N filter is the same as the Mobil 1 filter, but the Mobil 1 has a finer filter material.

ntidsl
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
thanks guys!

looking forward to gettig the boat in maybe tomorrow!!! yeah! spring is here...

work before play though. new oil, filter and proper warm up tomorrow am...

trickle charge tonight and woohooo!

russlars
03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Here is a good read on Oil filters. http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/opinions.html#avoidThis may have been posted before but I found it to be helpful and it got me to stop using Fram filters. They rate the K&N high.

CantRepeat
03-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Are you running the filter on the outside of a spark arrestor?