PDA

View Full Version : Hern Marine Location?

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
I was just talking to the guy at Hern Marine and he said that they are 2 hours from any place to test this boat in a lake/river???? Whats the story here guys, anybody know of a place?

MasterMason
05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
If they want to sell you the boat, and it is 2 hours, then they need to drive it there. Otherwise, they don't want to sell you the boat.

MarkP
05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I was just talking to the guy at Hern Marine and he said that they are 2 hours from any place to test this boat in a lake/river???? Whats the story here guys, anybody know of a place?
Some of the guys on this thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2855&page=12&pp=10 may be willing to help out..

Footin
05-16-2005, 01:58 PM
2 hours? No way! Ceasers Creek is close by.

OhioProstar
05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Not only can you go to Ceasers Creek, you could go to Brookville Lake in less than one hour from their Fairfield location and the Miami University ski team uses the Miami river right in Hamiliton which is around 20 minutes away. I do know that one of the son's (Kevin I think) died on that river during a test drive, so maybe they aren't using it as a test site.

Mag_Red
05-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I was just talking to the guy at Hern Marine and he said that they are 2 hours from any place to test this boat in a lake/river???? Whats the story here guys, anybody know of a place?They could take it to Ceasars Creek or Brookville Lake...both over an hour away. I'm sure they would do it if that was the last thing in the way of a sale............ie you put some $$ down or something. Probably just want to discourage joy riders. Who are you talking to there??? Or don't you freakin read what I type here Eric?? Like I said before.......I know just about everyone there. :rolleyes:

Granite_33
05-16-2005, 02:03 PM
The guy is BS ing you.

There have been posts as to where to take the boat already.

If the boat is in fairfield, then he is well within 45min to 1HR of being able to put it in the water.

The guy is blowing you sh*t. :rant: :rant:

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Do you know exactly how to get there?

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:12 PM
He said it is about an hour away, so atleast he was honest about that.

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
They could take it to Ceasars Creek or Brookville Lake...both over an hour away. I'm sure they would do it if that was the last thing in the way of a sale............ie you put some $$ down or something. Probably just want to discourage joy riders. Who are you talking to there??? Or don't you freakin read what I type here Eric?? Like I said before.......I know just about everyone there. :rolleyes:

I was working w/ Dennis (Beatle) on the boat

Granite_33
05-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Do you know exactly how to get there?
To the marina? Or somewhere to test drive the boat?

Footin
05-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I just mapped Caesers Creek from Fairfield, 42 miles - 53 minutes.

Mag, would the river be closer? I know the river can be kinda nasty, but it's just for a test drive.

Granite_33
05-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Mag, would the river be closer? I know the river can be kinda nasty, but it's just for a test drive.
One step ahead of me!

OhioProstar
05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
There are only a couple ramps for smaller boats, both are about 15 minutes east and west of downtown. Maybe Mag knows a better ramp.

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
To the marina? Or somewhere to test drive the boat?

Looking to get the boat in the water. Otherwise, I am going to have to tow it all the way back here, water test it, and bring it right back if there is a problem.

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM

I doubt they will want you on the river in thier boat. The rain we got the other day has the river really messy right now and frankly if I was the dealer I wouldn't put any boat on there that was an inboard right now.
THey are just trying to discourage joy riders. Put some jack down on the boat and they'll take you to Caesars or Brookville. I can guarantee you not many people buy $50k Mastercrafts or other boats more expensive from that dealership without a ride first.

I'd let you test on our lake but it is for HOA members only

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Looking to get the boat in the water. Otherwise, I am going to have to tow it all the way back here, water test it, and bring it right back if there is a problem.

ummm.... they definetely aren't going to let you do that! ;)

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I doubt they will want you on the river in thier boat. The rain we got the other day has the river really messy right now and frankly if I was the dealer I wouldn't put any boat on there that was an inboard right now.
THey are just trying to discourage joy riders. Put some jack down on the boat and they'll take you to Caesars or Brookville. I can guarantee you not many people buy $50k Mastercrafts or other boats more expensive from that dealership without a ride first.

I already put $500 temporary deposit down. Want a pull? I'll trade you lake access for a pull????

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
ummm.... they definetely aren't going to let you do that! ;)

I meant pay for it, test it, and then hope for no issues.

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I already put $500 temporary deposit down. Want a pull? I'll trade you lake access for a pull????

I'd take you up on it but I really don't want to loose my lake priveleges. Plus the liability.......... thanks for asking though!

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I meant pay for it, test it, and then hope for no issues.

I know, just keeping the razzing going until you get a boat :D :dance: :popcorn:

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the help on the location of the lakes.

Norris
05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
THey are just trying to discourage joy riders. Put some jack down on the boat and they'll take you to Caesars or Brookville.

" I can guarantee you not many people buy $50k Mastercrafts or other boats more expensive from that dealership without a ride first."

Just my 2 cents here...
I have bought many boats in that price range from Hern and NEVER did a ride first. I know many others that do not so I'm not alone. Fact is many people do NOT. If you do your homework and believe in the product your buying and the dealers track record is good then it is not a big deal. Many have purchased cars/boats unseen or driven. It's not as uncommon as you might think.

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
So, are you saying Hern marine is to be trusted?

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Just my 2 cents here...
I have bought many boats in that price range from Hern and NEVER did a ride first. I know many others that do not so I'm not alone. Fact is many people do NOT. If you do your homework and believe in the product your buying and the dealers track record is good then it is not a big deal. Many have purchased cars/boats unseen or driven. It's not as uncommon as you might think.

Maybe without a test drive, but definitely not without looking at it. :twocents:

6ballsisall
05-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Maybe without a test drive, but definitely not without looking at it. :twocents:

There good eggs for the most part IMO. However, to me it only makes sense if you are coming down to buy the boat that you take it for a spin before leaving. Now, if you aren't planning on making the trek and having it delivered to you than I think you can count on them to represent it right.

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
I am making the drive down, and will be stopping off at the lake to test it out.

thanks guys.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
The dealer from whom I purchased my boat initially told me that they didn't do test rides on new boats. I told them it was that or a 30 day money-back guarantee. They balked on that one, too. In the end, I got my test drive. I would love to give a dealer the benefit of the doubt as I know there are good ones out there. However, my experience with some dealers in this state have been quite lackluster. Fortunately, my experiences with Daryl Moore, where I purchased my boat, have been good.

I wouldn't buy a boat without a test drive. Just the way I operate.

sfitzgerald351
05-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow... when I bought my boat used they offered up the test drive. They pulled it to a lake 30 minutes from the dealer both when I was interested in it and when I picked it up to make sure it was okay. All this for a $6,000 20 year old boat sale. Of course, this was a CC dealership... :D What kind of marine dealer doesn't have access to water anyway? It's like putting a snowmobile shop in Florida.

I wouldn't buy anything new or used without driving it, unless it was significantly underpriced and I knew I could dump in the next day if it turned out to be a lemon. How else are you going to see how it runs?

Call them up and have them ready to head to the lake with you if you like what you see at the dealership. A refundable deposit and loan agreement in hand does seem like a fair trade, but don't be afraid to walk away from the boat if you don't like it, no matter what the dealer says.

Ric
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
The dealer from whom I purchased my boat initially told me that they didn't do test rides on new boats. I told them it was that or a 30 day money-back guarantee. They balked on that one, too. In the end, I got my test drive. I would love to give a dealer the benefit of the doubt as I know there are good ones out there. However, my experience with some dealers in this state have been quite lackluster. Fortunately, my experiences with Daryl Moore, where I purchased my boat, have been good.

I wouldn't buy a boat without a test drive. Just the way I operate.
They must be doing them now because when darryl and I took mine to the lake for test, we ran into his sales mgr giving another test ride on the same cold afternoon.

erkoehler
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
He is going to come out with me on a test drive now.

Mag_Red
12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Anyone else remember this post??? This was the first time I met Eric..........Funny as hell watching him drive this boat the first time at Hidden Valley Lake.......if I remember correctly he had a hard time pulling into the dock as he was on the right side....and we all know Mastercrafts hate going to the left in reverse:D

Rockman
12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Anyone else remember this post??? This was the first time I met Eric..........Funny as hell watching him drive this boat the first time at Hidden Valley Lake.......if I remember correctly he had a hard time pulling into the dock as he was on the right side....and we all know Mastercrafts hate going to the left in reverse:D

Too Funny!

Mags, what up brother?

Footin
12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Erkles boat shopping threads have always been my favorite threads.