PDA

View Full Version : MC recalls and who pays?

Toolit2Ride
05-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I just brought my '99 Maristar in to get serviced and the dealer told me that my leaf springs needed to be changed and the mount for the alternator needed to be updated per a MC recall or "Message Update" I think they called it. Anyway, the dealer tells me that my warranty is long expired and that I have to pay for these upgrades. What is up w/ that? They won't let me take it out w/o the upgrades for liability reasons, but I have to pay? Anyone else ever deal w/ this?

MasterMason
05-16-2005, 01:28 PM
I just brought my '99 Maristar in to get serviced and the dealer told me that my leaf springs needed to be changed and the mount for the alternator needed to be updated per a MC recall or "Message Update" I think they called it. Anyway, the dealer tells me that my warranty is long expired and that I have to pay for these upgrades. What is up w/ that? They won't let me take it out w/o the upgrades for liability reasons, but I have to pay? Anyone else ever deal w/ this?

that doesn't sound right, if they are demanding that you have the work done then someone else should be covering the cost. I would contact MC directly first. :twocents:

Tom023
05-16-2005, 01:30 PM
If it's a recall, MC should foot the bill. I did the alternator mount myself on mine, just had the dealer give me the part. It's a simple job and takes about 10 minutes.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Print this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/local_links.php?action=jump&id=9) and show it to them. They should do it "at no cost to the consumer." Don't know what to tell you about the alternator mount. You might check www.mymastercraft.com for other recalls. I don't know how often the one on this board is updated. Good luck.

G-man
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Contact the folks at MC and find out who is responsible for this work. Are you the original owner? Does it go to the dealer for seasonal service? Maybe try another dealer with better customer service.

MYMC
05-16-2005, 02:11 PM
FYI:
The leaf spring issue is a true recall and is monitored by the NTSB. MasterCraft sends out % completion reports each month begging dealers to get this to 100%. The cost of this repair is covered by MasterCraft Boat Company and your dealer should have a supply of the "free" parts as they were sent to all of us.

The alternator brkt recall is handled by Indmar, I have not had any claim rejected on this issue either.

Toolit2Ride
05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I was thinking the same thing that warranty should have nothing to do w/ recalls or manufacture required changes. Anyway, I printed off the PDF file of recalls and will look into Indmar picking up the tab on the alternator mount. That charge was the less expensive one, but still a $100. Thanks again!

rick s.
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I have a 1999 mastercraft trailer, and trust me, you want to replace the original springs right away. I broke one of the leaf springs two seasons ago, luckily only a block from the lake. But in that block both right-side trailer tires were ruined as the fenders rubbed against the tread and inner sidewall. Major tire smoke.

I made a deal with my local M/C dealer (Ski World USA in Pleasanton, CA, GREAT GUYS & GREAT SERVICE by the way) and only paid for the labor to install the new multi-leaf rear springs. I think it was about 4 hours of labor. I don't know whether they or M/C paid for the parts. I suspect it was M/C.

Now the boat rides higher when on the trailer and the @ss end of the trailer doesn't drag nearly as often as it did before.

Get it done!

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Rick, you have a good attitude. I would be a bit bitter if a dealer charged me for labor on something that MC's recall notice said would be covered free of charge. Good karma for you.

Ric
05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Rick, the same thing happened to my 00 trailer, but the dealer picked up the boat with a wrecker, repaired & repainted the trailer at no cost to me.
Tool, I let my dealer svc dept talk me into paying the labor for the alternator bracket when I probably shouldn't have.
shame on me regarding that one though.

kstumpenhorst
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
DO you need to be original owner or is this recall taken care of no matter what. How do o know if this issue has been taken care of.

Jim@BAWS
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
If there is a RECALL on anything on the boat MC will know by giving your local dealer the Hull ID # located on the driver side rear under the rubrail. Any dealer can see the history on the boat to see what has been done to ensure that the recalls are taken care of.

Jim@BAWS

-V-
09-28-2011, 10:58 AM
hey jim, maybe i am wrong but i tried that and could not get any information. I called Indmar about my engine and Mastercraft about my boat and they couldn't give me any info, all i know is that the engine in my boat is not original and the one in the boat is not on record. They also couldn't give me recall info on the boat or trailer. whats up with that?

Jim@BAWS
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
hey jim, maybe i am wrong but i tried that and could not get any information. I called Indmar about my engine and Mastercraft about my boat and they couldn't give me any info, all i know is that the engine in my boat is not original and the one in the boat is not on record. They also couldn't give me recall info on the boat or trailer. whats up with that?

I do not have an answer for you...what I described is the procedure that we use and that is what is suggested...

Do you know the history of your boat? Was the engine replaced? Maybe by the prior owner?

Jim@BAWS

djkslc
09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I have one for you, I just had a blown motor rebuilt at the tune of 7K and the culprit was the oil distributor gear that was a recall item that the first owner didn't have done and I never checked (my fault) and now I have a 7K new/rebuilt engine. Expensive leason.

vandit0022
10-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I recently received a certified letter from Mastercraft about a recall that had not been completed on my boat. I called the dealer and they are going to take care of it. Some kind of fuel vent line problem that has to be modified. Obviously no costs there, as stated in the recall notice.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I have one for you, I just had a blown motor rebuilt at the tune of 7K and the culprit was the oil distributor gear that was a recall item that the first owner didn't have done and I never checked (my fault) and now I have a 7K new/rebuilt engine. Expensive leason.

You would need to contact mastercraft directly and explain your situation with your paperwork documenting the incident, manufacturers are to reinberse consumers for recalls that they paid for, don't tell them its your fault just explain your situation.

Most of the time with recalls any additional damage caused by a recalled component is not covered, but there are exceptions.

Jim@BAWS
10-01-2011, 10:08 PM

Please...you have a 1991 PS 190

Don't you think that placing blame on that is just a little extreme

JimN
10-01-2011, 10:25 PM

No, he has an early 2000s boat with the LTR- remember that issue? I bet you do.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM

I still get '86 maximas and 300 zx in for recalls and by law we have to do the recalls...

Jim@BAWS
10-01-2011, 10:36 PM
In his profile is listed a 1991

Team MasterCraft Member
no
Boat Owned
1991 Mastercraft Maristar indmar 454
Occupation
Insurance

I do remember the oil issue...just reading his profile

Jim

djkslc
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Jimn is correct it is a 2002 xstar with the ltr. The oil distributer was completely shot and was the obvious cause when the motor was taken apart. I did get it back from the shop friday and took it out sturday morning. Runs great and besides being lighter in the wallet, I am very happy with the results.