PDA

View Full Version : Maiden voyage 87 p-star

dude
05-16-2005, 01:16 PM
So I finally got out the "new" boat this weekend and came away with several questions. First the horror... my wife was going to finish backing down the ramp. She pulls the emergency break and we start rolling... fast. Then in a panic she stomps the breaks. The boat and I lurch back sliding down the trailer when the boat suddenly stops. Clank!

The prop hung up on the trailer! So now I need Dr prop. There was noticeable vibration on the water that I hope is just due to the ding on the prop? I have read that you should be able to spin the prop freely. Mine seems very stiff. Is that a problem?

Secondly there is a warning alarm in Idle. It seems like an oil presure warning or something because with a little gas it stops. The pressure is at ~40psi at idle and it seems to run like a champ. Any Ideas?

Granite_33
05-16-2005, 01:34 PM
So I finally got out the "new" boat this weekend and came away with several questions. First the horror... my wife was going to finish backing down the ramp. She pulls the emergency break and we start rolling... fast. Then in a panic she stomps the breaks. The boat and I lurch back sliding down the trailer when the boat suddenly stops. Clank!

The prop hung up on the trailer! So now I need Dr prop. There was noticeable vibration on the water that I hope is just due to the ding on the prop? I have read that you should be able to spin the prop freely. Mine seems very stiff. Is that a problem?

Secondly there is a warning alarm in Idle. It seems like an oil presure warning or something because with a little gas it stops. The pressure is at ~40psi at idle and it seems to run like a champ. Any Ideas?
Dude! ( I am going to leave out any jokes about mamma drivin :D )
The Vibration is at least the prop. You can start there, but depending upon how hard you hit the prop, you may have done some other damage. From what you described, I see a possible bent strut, or bent shaft. The side torque of 1 blade hanging on the trailer, could have bent the shaft as well.

As to the alarm, my guess would be that its your temp alarm. Work your way from the intake. Is anything clogged? I would do this about 1 or 2 times a year. There was always debris in the strainer, which is the first line of defense for junk going to your impeller and the rest of the engine. Absent of debris, check your impeller. It may be deteriorated to the point where it is in need of replacing. It was 1st thing I noticed with my '90. The impeller was broken down and some of the vanes were actually flattened. In low RPM's the water flow was insufficient and the temp climbed. Higher RPMS were OK because of the water flow past the intake and (what was left of) the impeller was actually able to move the water and keep the temp in line.

Hope it all works out!! :twocents:

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I hate to hear that your maiden voyage was a little rough. Don't have much to add. Get your prop remilled and check the rest of underwater gear.

87Craft
05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
the chirp/alarm is probably the oil pressure gage. mine did the same thing a while back. oil pressure sending unit is probably bad.

lakes Rick
05-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Dude! ( I am going to leave out any jokes about mamma drivin :D )

NOT ME......

If your wife has never backed a trailer before I give her kudos for trying, but more divorces have been started at the boat ramp than any other place...

MOST women are missing the back up gene in their makeup.. Friends EX wife had her doubles license and she could back better than most men.. So some are OK, but they are few and far between....

BriEOD
05-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Just a suggestion, but leave the strap and bar in place until you are down the ramp and ready to back the boat off the trailer. Better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't sweat it to badly. Most everyone on here has a story or two like that. Start with the prop first. If that isn't it than it might be your shaft.

sfitzgerald351
05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I actually find that it's better to unhook the bar and rehook the strap on. Once the boat starts to float it can be difficult to get the bar off. The strap should be enough to keep your boat from moving much if it's in good shape.

east tx skier
05-16-2005, 04:52 PM
NOT ME......

If your wife has never backed a trailer before I give her kudos for trying, but more divorces have been started at the boat ramp than any other place...

MOST women are missing the back up gene in their makeup.. Friends EX wife had her doubles license and she could back better than most men.. So some are OK, but they are few and far between....

My wife can thread a needle with the trailer. But, as you suggest, it's not genetic. It's a result of her almost ramming the pier with the boat when she decided, at the last minute, that it wasn't lined up just right. She'd already passed the do-over mark. Since then, she's become a world class trailer backer. I am the only one who puts the boat on the trailer.

Just tell her to put her hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it whichever way the boat needs to go. Also, rule 1 is there is no pulling back up the ramp once the boat has been unhooked. Rule 2, the boat is always unhooked after the back end is over the water.

These rules are developed through shared experiences. Take comfort in the fact that you are not the first.

DanC
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM

This also fits the symptoms of a battery with a low charge. At idle the alternator is pumping current into the low battery and can't get the voltage up above the warning threshold. With higher RPM the alternator pumps out enough juice to charge the battery and get the voltage up above the warning threshold (The alarm senses voltage not current). If the alarm stops immediately with only a little throttle, I would guess at this as the most likely cause.

It also fits the symptoms of a temperature issue. I have had instances (when the water is above 80 deg) where an older boat in the heat of summer, has trouble getting the temp down at idle. Especially after having just turned the motor off and then back on. I had no problems as soon as I picked up the RPM, more water flowed through the engine, and the temp can right back down, and the alarm would go off. Stop to pick up the skier, put a new skier in the water, start back up and the temp would shoot up to 210 deg, the alarm would sound for 5-30 seconds until I got the RPMs up and the temp back down. Probably not your problem if the alarm turns off quickly as you say.
:twocents: :twocents:

dude
05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the advice... I think a divorce almost did comence.

I know most of these lessons from a previous boat... but it's been about three years and that was a Maxum IO. It'll take me a little getting used to what works with this boat.

Anyway I think I'll be doing most of the trailer/boat work from now on. I guess it's better to clog the ramp than sleep in the den!