PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Amp And Head Unit

lazypiper
03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I am going to replace my head unit and add an amp for tower speakers this year. I run in salt water 90% of the time. I have a 2001 Xstar/205v.

First: I have the stock Clarion stereo in the boat. I guess I will stay with Clarion So I can still use to old remote or I hope the new remote is the same size. One thing I want is any way to connect an Ipod. (Aux or a base connector)

Second: I am keeping the stock amp for in the boat. I am going to put a switch in so I will only be able to use the amp in the boat OR the amp for the tower. I seems like the easiest way so I don't have to play with a faded on the other side of the boat.

Third: I need to pick an amp. I would like a marine amp if passable. I think I want to parallel the tower speakers. I have four speakers on the tower. I looked around and get more confused as I go. I cant find a 4 channel amp big enough for the tower. Some two channel amps look like they are good but I don't know if I can run the speakers in parallel. I have seen that amps don't like to run high power at 2 ohms. Here are the speaker specs. I am having two batteries installed this spring and the boat has the stock alternator.
Bazooka Tubbies MT8002WS
Sensitivity 90 dB
Frequency Response 55 - 20k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 6-100
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 150
Impedance (Ohms) 4

Any help I can get is GREATLY appreciated. I am trying to keep the cost down but not cheap. I realize the environment I run in is going to trash the equipment sooner or later.

mgurley
03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Clarion has a couple new source units coming out with USB ipod controll and the wired remote has and LCD screen and will allow you to browse your ipod via the remote...

go to there website...CMD6 or M309

I have already ordered the M309 and the remote.

Prostar19
03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I would go with the 4 Channel JL Audio Marine Amp that MC uses now. I Bridged them on my X2 with 4 tower speakers and it was awesome

mpabreo
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Do you have the Clarion CMD3? If so, it has ipod capability. conenct an RCA-3.5mm adapter to the aux inputs on the radio and you're set.

lazypiper
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
That M309 is awesome. I'm ordering that with my next paycheck. I called JL about the M4500. The tech seems to think it will be fine. I still need to figure out if that will be enough power. He said I can't bridge the channels and parallel two 4 ohm speakers on each channel. I want to avoid being able to push the amp to 100% and not reach the rms on the speakers. I have heard that you should keep the gain at around 75% that would give me just over 50 watts per channel with the head unit at 100%. The head unit I have now has a HIN input on the back for a cd changer. I tried to make the cable from a wakeworld thread with mixed results. This year it's the sound systems turn on the boat :D So it's all being replaced. Thanks for the input so far.

razorback64
11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I have an '03 X-10 with the XMD1 Clarion head unit. I've been researching ways to hook up an IPOD connection. Stumbled onto the M309 and have about decided it's worth around $170 from E Bay to just get a new head unit and be done with it - thanks for the positive comments on this thread. Can't find the dash cut out size for the M309. Does anyone know if it will fit the hole the XMD1 is in? Trimming isn't a problem, but I don't want to get involved in filling in if the hole is too big.