PDA

View Full Version : federal tax credits for energy efficiency

Jerseydave
03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Looks like my timing is not good. Just had my furnace replaced in 2008 with a hi-efficiency one (95%) when I switched from oil to gas, but the government is not offering the tax credit for 2008 installs. Only for 2006,2007, and 2009.

Anyone have more info about this?

PA Prostar
03-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately, you're correct. Assuming the property qualified, there is a $500 lifetime credit that was available for 2006 and 2007 and will be available again in 2009. There's a lot of fine print and different limits which I can explain, but it's not going to change the jist of the answer. (Also, it's not that interesting) Anyway, keep in mind that things like insulation, door replacements, windows, and other improvements you may doing in 2009 could qualify. Also, if you did anything in 2006 or 2007, there is still time to amend your return. If you want more info, you can PM me.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Similar but different situation here. Maxed my credit out in 2007. 2009 plans are put on hold until I figure out if what I plan to do qualifies.
Gotta love solar.....:cool:

As it was mentioned already, poor timing on your end. The credit is for "parts" and not labor if you wanted to figure out what you would have gotten anyway. And it's about 10% of that if I recall.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#s1

TX.X-30 fan
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Similar but different situation here. Maxed my credit out in 2007. 2009 plans are put on hold until I figure out if what I plan to do qualifies.
Gotta love solar.....:cool:

As it was mentioned already, poor timing on your end. The credit is for "parts" and not labor if you wanted to figure out what you would have gotten anyway. And it's about 10% of that if I recall.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#s1

Do the calculations yo will need to cover your house and your neighbors to run your house and 20/25 year service life without hail storms. Costs will be on the other side of 50,000 to get 2,000 kwh which is what a medium house will need.

Solar and wind are not there yet and obamer is a fool.

sand2snow22
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Dang I switched to gas in 2008, too. I did get a nice credit from the state, so I can't complain too much....

Jerseydave
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, you're correct. Assuming the property qualified, there is a $500 lifetime credit that was available for 2006 and 2007 and will be available again in 2009. There's a lot of fine print and different limits which I can explain, but it's not going to change the jist of the answer. (Also, it's not that interesting) Anyway, keep in mind that things like insulation, door replacements, windows, and other improvements you may doing in 2009 could qualify. Also, if you did anything in 2006 or 2007, there is still time to amend your return. If you want more info, you can PM me.

Nothing done in 2007, just 2008 :mad:
I did get my state rebate of $400 though.

Thanks for the feedback...............when we hitting the water?? :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Do the calculations yo will need to cover your house and your neighbors to run your house and 20/25 year service life without hail storms. Costs will be on the other side of 50,000 to get 2,000 kwh which is what a medium house will need.

Solar and wind are not there yet and obamer is a fool.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, solar thermo collection.
I'm no where near ready for a full on photovoltaic system, maybe the next house:rolleyes:. While I have some photovoltaic panels in operation, I have no plans to expand at this time. ;)

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry, I should have mentioned, solar thermo collection.
I'm no where near ready for a full on photovoltaic system, maybe the next house:rolleyes:. While I have some photovoltaic panels in operation, I have no plans to expand at this time. ;)

I hope solar can become viable, squeeze more juice from the panels. I would like nothing more than getting a check from the power co instead of writing one. :D