PDA

View Full Version : Abe Lincoln and OBAMA

Jim@BAWS
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
If only he listened to this part from Honest Abe

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
> You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
> You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
> You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer
> down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by
> inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and
> courage by taking away people's initiative and
> independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing
> for them, what they could and should do
> for themselves."
>
>
>
> Abraham Lincoln

Jim@BAWS

denverd1
03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Or Reagan, or FDR or any economist worth a flip. Oh no, this guy can give handouts to the poor, decrease taxes on the middle class while creating millions of jobs through gov't programs and "porkulus". All while preaching about a new era of fiscal and personal responsibility....

2RLAKE
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Amen brother .... Obomanomics - trickle up poverty

i still cant get over the fact that people who dont pay taxes actually get a check ... that is morally wrong

kjohnson
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I like that.

EricB
03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Interesting..... Poverty in Our Cities.
City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
2. Buffalo , NY 29.9%
3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
5. Miami , FL 26.9%
5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
10. New ark , NJ 24.2%

From the U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1964.
Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)......since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein said,'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still
POOR

east tx skier
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
WHO CARES ??? A RUMOR MONGORING website w/ a bunch of "KNOW IT ALLs" who
know NOTHING

-BAWS on Wakeworld

Jim, the quotes you attributed to Lincoln were published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker. He released a pamphlet titled Lincoln On Limitations, which did include a Lincoln quote, but also added these statements he wrote himself. That has nothing to do with the substance of the quotes, but since it appears cut from an email with all the little >'s and such, I think it's worth giving proper credit to the source.

:)

Jim@BAWS
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
-BAWS on Wakeworld

Jim, the quotes you attributed to Lincoln were published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker. He released a pamphlet titled Lincoln On Limitations, which did include a Lincoln quote, but also added these statements he wrote himself. That has nothing to do with the substance of the quotes, but since it appears cut from an email with all the little >'s and such, I think it's worth giving proper credit to the source.
:)

OK...besids maybe Ab did not say that. I don't have time to research it and yes I
did copy and paste...Besides that what is NOT true about it. Not a RUMOR I
believe it

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
OK...besids maybe Ab did not say that. I don't have time to research it and yes I
did copy and paste...Besides that what is NOT true about it. Not a RUMOR I
believe it

Jim@BAWS

LOL! So it's not a rumor if you believe it! That's vintage George Costanza! Well done, sir!

I'm just here to keep the wheels turning.

TX.X-30 fan
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
LOL! So it's not a rumor if you believe it! That's vintage George Costanza! Well done, sir!

I'm just here to keep the wheels turning.

Ok since you have started with the corrections i want to make one. Good post denverdi only many believe FDR actually extended the depression by many years with all the govt. deficit spending. And was actually only bailed out of his failed policies by WWll

shepherd
03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Ok since you have started with the corrections i want to make one. Good post denverdi only many believe FDR actually extended the depression by many years with all the govt. deficit spending. And was actually only bailed out of his failed policies by WWll

Right, the original bail-out plan? And of course, WWII spending made the deficit even worse. I'm only going by memory here, but didn't the FDR administration create the federal deficit?

2RLAKE
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
here's a good thought for the day:

The Department of Energy was instituted 8-04-1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL. HEY, PRETTY EFFICIENT, HUH?

NOW IT'S 2009, 31.5 YEARS LATER, AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS NECESSARY DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR, THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES AND LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE!

THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY

'WHAT WAS I THINKING?' ... And now we are going to turn the Banking system over to them?

east tx skier
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM

If I ever read that again, I'll be sure they give you credit. It's what I do. :D

TX.X-30 fan
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I hope everyone is home now. Again congratulations

east tx skier
03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I hope everyone is home now. Again congratulations

Are you jacking Jim's thread?

Anyhow, everyone is home and we're all good to go. Thanks!!!