PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs, Ark. Advise

etduc
05-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Going to Hot Springs, for the 4th of July/family vaction. We will be staying on Lake Hamilton. Are there any decent ski coves, on the east side of the lake?

G-man
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Contact MC of Arkansas for advise. I have been on Lake Hamilton twice and never saw good ski water. There were seawalls that kicked back rollers. We were only at one end of the lake.

etduc
05-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah, looks pretty hopeless, from the maps I've seen. Been on or near the lake a few times. With the plans being made for me, by the wife and kid, probably won't have much chance to ski.

I hoping somebody might have a secret cove. I promise, I won't tell anyone.

zinsane
05-17-2005, 04:53 PM
If you head up river towards the Ouchita dam, that is the best skiing that you will probably find on the lake. Being that is will be the 4th, it will proably hard to find any great water other than early morning runs. If you all get the chance, trailer to Ouchita for a day, you can find coves all over the lake with great water. Brady Mountain, Crystal, or Mountain Harbor are only about 30 minutes west on 270 from hamilton. If you make it up to mountain harbor, head out of the marina under the bridge, and directly across the lake is the "ski cove". You can find good water pretty much anytime towards the end of the cove. There is a course that is up form May - Sept a couple coves over.

bradamerry
05-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Just drive to Greeson for a day and Farmer can pull you... We will be there for a week.... Come visit :dance:

bret
05-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Take zinsane advice and stay on Ouachita at Mountain Harbor, we know the owners and the improvements there over the last couple of years are great - but call now. And he's right about the ski cove, as there will also be several large Sea Rays anchored there - fun group. We got up 6 barefooters there about 8 years ago.

Lake Hamilton is a condo/weekend disaster! Worst lake in AR to try do anything on after schools out, I hate it and my Mom lives on it. It has the highest accident and death rate in the state. yes there are restaurants that you can pull your boat up to and then get it beat to death by the huge rollers...Ouachita, Greeson, or Greers Ferry if you want to try find some decent water on the 4th.

www.mountainharborresort.com Ouachita

www.redappleinn.com Heber Springs - two more hrs from Hot Springs

zinsane
05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Bret - I haven't been up as much as we used to but, we made it up three or four times last year. I beleive we will be there memorial day weekend and planning on the fourth.

Chris Hamm

etduc
05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks one and all. Hot Springs is a done deal. My boat is not big water friendly. (TriStar) Might not even take it, cause itenerary is pretty full, and my crew aren't early risers. Thanks for the 411 on Quachita, has we might be doing a long weekend there in August.

Never been on Greeson, moutainbiked in the area, but never been on the lake. Might have to check it out.
ETDuc