PDA

View Full Version : Wrong carb, needs to go...

Commandohorn
03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Am buying a 1989 Prostar that has an Edlebrock carb on it from PO. I'm going to buy the 4160 Holley from SkiDim. Is replacing the carb just a bolt on job? Will it come tuned and adjusted so just bolt it on with new gasket, connect lines and go? Thanks

TRBenj
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
You might get lucky with the float levels, but you'll surely have to dial in the idle circuit.

JUST-IN-TIME
03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I would go with the edlebrock 1406 i think
those Holley's suck!
the accelerator pumps always need replacing and if you have a backfire 1 time you need to pull the carb and replace the power/backdraft valve

east tx skier
03-11-2009, 11:00 PM
On the 4160 from skidim, it was already set up for the 351. I just adjusted the idle and it was good to go.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
The 4160 should work well. As Tim mentioned, you will most likely have some fine tuning to do but the main settings, primary and secondary jets, that come installed should be ready to run. You may also have an issue with the fuel line.....not sure how similar your current carb is. Be sure to use a steel line (you may have to bend one up or order it from skidim) and don't patch in a section of rubber hose to make the connection.

pkskier
03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I replaced my original 4160 with a new one from Basic Power Industries (cheaper than skidim) and bolted it on and adjusted the idle and it was good to go. Also, Holley has made and improvement to the carb to where a backfire no longer blows out the power valve. Good luck.

east tx skier
03-12-2009, 01:29 AM
The 4160 should work well. As Tim mentioned, you will most likely have some fine tuning to do but the main settings, primary and secondary jets, that come installed should be ready to run. You may also have an issue with the fuel line.....not sure how similar your current carb is. Be sure to use a steel line (you may have to bend one up or order it from skidim) and don't patch in a section of rubber hose to make the connection.

Things may have changed, but last I checked, ski dim didn't have the hard line for the 4160 anymore and were using a braided line.

ProStar Slalom
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Things may have changed, but last I checked, ski dim didn't have the hard line for the 4160 anymore and were using a braided line.

You can probably find one somewhere, but they're becoming hard to find. Braided line will work fine as well. I replaced the 4160 on my '87 a couple of years ago....about 1/2 turn on the idle screw was the only adjustment required...and what a difference to how the boat started/ran....well worth the money!

TRBenj
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Doug, I assume you mean the MC/Indmar specific line? Skidim still sells the hard PCM fuel line. (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA085002B) I have a non-original fuel pump in my PCM 302 and I was able to make the line work.

Like pkskier said, Holley added protection for the PV... that was 20 years ago!

If you want to save $100+, then order the same carb from Summit Racing.

TMCNo1
03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Doug, I assume you mean the MC/Indmar specific line? Skidim still sells the hard PCM fuel line. (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA085002B) I have a non-original fuel pump in my PCM 302 and I was able to make the line work.

The S/S hard PCM 303/351specific fuel line from SkiDim will not work on a Indmar 351 for some reason, it's about 1/4" too short. I had a S/S Braided line made up by a local street rod shop.

east tx skier
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM

Correct, the line to fit the PCM fuel pump is still readily available. Indmar is a different story.

Harold, is that your latest restoration project? :D

TMCNo1
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Correct, the line to fit the PCM fuel pump is still readily available. Indmar is a different story.

Harold, is that your latest restoration project? :D

Sure, just the same old 'keep it maintained project' that has lasted for 20 years as of March 2!:rolleyes:

TRBenj
03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
The S/S hard PCM 303/351specific fuel line from SkiDim will not work on a Indmar 351 for some reason, it's about 1/4" too short. I had a S/S Braided line made up by a local street rod shop.
The only thing that could potentially cause the difference between the Indmar and PCM Fords is the fuel pump. The outlet fitting where the fuel line attaches is likely different. My point is that I have a non-original Carter pump on my PCM that didnt have the fuel line fitting in exactly the right spot, and I was able to use the PCM line by massaging it a little bit. The same could likely be done on the Indmar- cheaper than buying an expensive flexible line.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/engine_done.jpg

east tx skier
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
The only thing that could potentially cause the difference between the Indmar and PCM Fords is the fuel pump. The outlet fitting where the fuel line attaches is likely different. My point is that I have a non-original Carter pump on my PCM that didnt have the fuel line fitting in exactly the right spot, and I was able to use the PCM line by massaging it a little bit. The same could likely be done on the Indmar- cheaper than buying an expensive flexible line.

I don't doubt that it's possible to bend the line or (have it bent) in such a way for it to fit the pump that indmar used. As of a year or so ago though, the ability to buy that part off the rack had gone the way of the low profile flame arrestor.

TMCNo1
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Yea, and if you notice, the supply line and the carb line are reversed in your PCM picture vs my Indmar picture. My fuel supply line from the gas tank is on the front side of the pump and the carb line comes off the fitting closest to the oil filter where yours is the opposite.

BrianM
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Is that a Coke can over the coil?

pkskier
03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
You are right the PCM hard SS line will not work with the Indmar fuel pump. When I replaced my carb in '07 I decided that since the fuel pump was 20 years old that I would replace the pump also. I ordered the PCM pump and hard SS fuel line from skidim and everything bolted right up with no problems or having to massage the new fuel line.

TMCNo1
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Is that a Coke can over the coil?

Yes sir, there has been a Coors, Bud, Coke, Yoohoo and now another Bud aluminum bottle I got from Trickskier,

TRBenj
03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Yea, and if you notice, the supply line and the carb line are reversed in your PCM picture vs my Indmar picture. My fuel supply line from the gas tank is on the front side of the pump and the carb line comes off the fitting closest to the oil filter where yours is the opposite.
Its hard to tell from the picture, but that non-original fuel pump has the outlet fitting rotated about 15 degrees towards the front- the original came directly off the side. Like I said, a little massaging and it connected just fine. I see that the Indmar is rotated towards the rear, and Im sure the same thing can be done.

Commandohorn
03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I would go with the edlebrock 1406 i think
those Holley's suck!
the accelerator pumps always need replacing and if you have a backfire 1 time you need to pull the carb and replace the power/backdraft valve

I thought the edlebrock carb was a swap the PO did, was that a factory option? I thought they were all Holley's in late 80's. Seller says it hesitates in hole shot and on semi sharp turns. Maybe I just need to rebuild not replace?

east tx skier
03-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I thought the edlebrock carb was a swap the PO did, was that a factory option? I thought they were all Holley's in late 80's. Seller says it hesitates in hole shot and on semi sharp turns. Maybe I just need to rebuild not replace?

As far as I've seen, they were Holley 4160's until 92--93, when they put the 4010 on the HO Ford motors. My boat did not play well with the 4010.

JUST-IN-TIME
03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
sounds like floats are off

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
sounds like floats are off

I would agree with newbie. Float level is too low, hanging up, or one has a leak and is half- submerged.

Commandohorn
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
So I bought the boat! Super deal on Ebay. Turns out it has a new Edelbrock 1406. Seller says it hesitates on the hole shot and in turns. Otherwise perfect. Sounds like just a float adjustment doesn't it? Anything else to look for? Thanks!

JohnE
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Now post some pic's.;)