PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Tune-Up Specs - Correction

Engine Nut
05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
My original chart had a mistake ... sorry!!! The pre-vortec 5.7L only showed breaker point ingition but we built a bunch of them with Delco Electronic Ignition (All of the pre-vortec TBI engines). I have attached a corrected chart. Sorry again for the omission.

Engine Nut

LakePirate
05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
So now I have a question.

The indmar doc says that timing should be set at 10 BTDC. I was reading my manual and it says tht if I have a black distributor cap is should be set at 10 BTDC but if I have a brown cap is should be at 6 BTDC. Now is this referring to screw down vs. Clip down caps or is there some difference between the two caps? Reason is I have just put on a new cap and went from black to brown.

Engine Nut
05-19-2005, 01:48 PM
So now I have a question.

The indmar doc says that timing should be set at 10 BTDC. I was reading my manual and it says tht if I have a black distributor cap is should be set at 10 BTDC but if I have a brown cap is should be at 6 BTDC. Now is this referring to screw down vs. Clip down caps or is there some difference between the two caps? Reason is I have just put on a new cap and went from black to brown.

The color of the cap isn't the issue. The issue is the advance curve in the distributor. Ford came out with a modified advance curve to reduce "pinging" on certain engines. Our engineer that was here during those days says that you need to look at the timing marks on the balancer. If the indicator line at the 6 degree mark is longer than the rest of the indicator lines, time it to 6 degrees. If the indicator line at the 10 degree mark is longer, time it to 10 degrees.

Engine Nut

93ps205
06-30-2005, 11:05 PM
My original chart had a mistake ... sorry!!! The pre-vortec 5.7L only showed breaker point ingition but we built a bunch of them with Delco Electronic Ignition (All of the pre-vortec TBI engines). I have attached a corrected chart. Sorry again for the omission.

Engine Nut

Hi,

Thanks for posting the specs. I have a 1993 PS205 with the Ford
5.8L 285 HP HO Carb/electronic ign. Just a couple questions.

1. I notice that to set the timing for this engine (285HP carb), I must install a timing shunt. Well, I bought the boat used and I never received the shunt. Can I make this shunt, or buy it somewhere? Does it make sense to even try to set the timing without the shunt in place?

2. Notice that recommended plugs are Champ: RS9YC. Do I have any other options for Plugs? I called SKIDIM and they sell PCM plugs, but said that Autolite 764 would also work. Also, I went to NGK website and they recommend BPR6EFS for my engine model. I'd really like to try the NGK plugs in this engine, but don't want to hurt anything. Does anyone know if these NGK plugs are okay to use? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good plug and gap setting for my engine model?

Thanks,

Jim

Engine Nut
07-01-2005, 07:27 AM
The timing shunt is not required to time the Prestolite distributor used on the Ford and early GM engines. It is only required to time the later (1993 and newer) GM engines that utilize the Delco EST distributor.

I can't speak for any spark plug cross references. All I know is the plugs that we used/recommended when we quit building Ford based engines 12 years ago.

Engine Nut

PeteS
07-01-2005, 10:58 AM
You are an great contributor to this site, Engine Nut. Thanks for all of your info up to this point, and I have a quick one for you. 88' Prostar, 351 Indmar, 1:1 tranny, and I'm curious as to which fuel you reccomend. Seems as if the boat runs best on 89, it doesn't knock on 87, and 93 I don't think burns fast enough because my idle is a little slower, and my starts can be a hair rough.

I have some working knowledge of how octane levels relate to performance, where as higher doesn't necessarily equate to better - depending on the compression ratings of the cylinders. Really curious as to your knowledgeable thoughts, and reccomendations. Thanks!

I apologize as well for the "thread jack".

east tx skier
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi,

Thanks for posting the specs. I have a 1993 PS205 with the Ford
5.8L 285 HP HO Carb/electronic ign. Just a couple questions.

2. Notice that recommended plugs are Champ: RS9YC. Do I have any other options for Plugs? I called SKIDIM and they sell PCM plugs, but said that Autolite 764 would also work. Also, I went to NGK website and they recommend BPR6EFS for my engine model. I'd really like to try the NGK plugs in this engine, but don't want to hurt anything. Does anyone know if these NGK plugs are okay to use? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good plug and gap setting for my engine model?

Thanks,

Jim

I've been using Autolite 764 on my engine since I bought my boat a couple of years ago with good results. Gap. 0.035.

Kummer
05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Engine Nut - Your posts are very appreciated... How does one get a shunt? I need to set the timing on my 2003 MCX. Is this a dealer part. from there I is there anything else that is non standard that needs to be had to properly set the timing?