PDA

View Full Version : pop up or pull up cleats?

Wake2wake
03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Ok so I am looking to add some cleats to the boat this spring before it goes into the water, but am not sure what is the best option. After spending some time looking around (on here and around the web) I'm not sure what the best option for this is, pop up cleats or pull up cleats.
From what I can find, the pop up cleats use springs to either stay down or up, which I would think would keep them from rattling at all, but means that I would have to put a bigger hole in the boat to put them in. The other option, the pull up cleats, look like they just seem to slide up and down, which seems like they might rattle around.
So i guess I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are, and what they have on their boats. Oh and what does Mastercraft put on boats?

the two kinds I have seen are like these:
pop up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150321168611&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
pull up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260368610431&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Sodar
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I just sold some pull up cleats on ebay that would have been era-correct for your boat. Call the dealer and see if you can get a set of these:

erkoehler
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
hmmmm.......those look oddly familiar! :)

Sodar
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Wonder why? :rolleyes:

russlars
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I just sold some pull up cleats on ebay that would have been era-correct for your boat. Call the dealer and see if you can get a set of these:

Those are exactly what I have on my boat. I did have the dealer install them because I could not bring myself to drill holes in my boat. They work great and look good and no, they do not rattle.

flipper
03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I put the pull up cleats on mine. I put them in myself. Easy job to do, and they work great.

brucemac
03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
so that part# 554006 still comes up on mymc. i'd really like to add cleats this year.

it says 4in slimline pull-up cleat on the description. is the 4in appropriate for my boat, i guess i always thought they were 6in stock. 4in seems pretty short.

554006 CLEAT-4in SLIM LINE PULL-UP w/ETCHED LOGO
CLEAT-4in SLIM LINE PULL-UP w/ETCHED LOGO

D3skier
03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
those are the same ones I added to mine as well and no problems with rattling.

brucemac
03-20-2009, 03:53 PM
so then is there no such thing as an OEM MC 4in slimline "POP-UP" cleat?

not a huge deal and maybe it's just symantecs, but i thought they did have one and i swear i saw more options when i searched there last night.

russlars
03-20-2009, 07:29 PM
so then is there no such thing as an OEM MC 4in slimline "POP-UP" cleat?

not a huge deal and maybe it's just symantecs, but i thought they did have one and i swear i saw more options when i searched there last night.
I know that they have both the 4" and the 6" pop up MC cleats. I put the 6" towards the stern of my boat and the 4" at the mid point. My reasoning was that I use the rear cleats and the bow hook for dock lines. The cleats at the midpoint only hold a bumper when it's not tied up in a slip.

BriEOD
03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I've got those on my boat as well and really like them.

brucemac
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
so there is a difference between pull-up and pop-up, right? it's not just symantecs?

i don't see "pop-up" on mymc.com

BOATNGUYNE
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
In case anybody needs some....I have four of the 4" new style mastercraft ingraved pop-up cleats for sale $32.00 each (They started using these in 2007

brucemac
03-20-2009, 09:04 PM
pm sent...

BOATNGUYNE
03-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Sent you a PM

brucemac
03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
what do you guys think?
part# 554014 i think
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1222/305o.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4022/306w.jpg

Gamble
03-24-2009, 06:41 AM
How hard is it to replace the factory pull up cleats to the ones you sold on ebay Cameron? boat is a 2001 ps 209. Those were some nice cleats!

Gamble
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
OK, we'll I guess no one has any knowledge of how hard it is to change them. Thanks for the help.

Sodar
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Those are the factory cleats.... I am not understanding your question.

Gamble
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
sorry for the confusioin..........mine has pull up cleats w/o the logo.........guess I got screwed when they built mine! I'd like to change them, but don't know what all is involved to do so. Since y'alls came w/the ones above, y'all haven't had any reason to mess w/them.

Sodar
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Actually, mine came with no cleats and I installed the cleats just like Brucemac's.

The 2 cleats I sold were a pair I picked up, but later decided not to use because they are the "old" style. If your cleats are the same design as the ones I posted, then they should be an easy switch out... just unbolt and reinstall.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45223&d=1236719943

TMCNo1
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
:woohoo:I have got two like these coming from my supplier!

russlars
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Actually, mine came with no cleats and I installed the cleats just like Brucemac's.

The 2 cleats I sold were a pair I picked up, but later decided not to use because they are the "old" style. If your cleats are the same design as the ones I posted, then they should be an easy switch out... just unbolt and reinstall.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45223&d=1236719943
What was wrong with the "old" style.:confused: They look good to me, but maybe that is because I have those on my boat.:)

flipper
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
What was wrong with the "old" style.:confused: They look good to me, but maybe that is because I have those on my boat.:)

Look fine to me

Sodar
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Nothing was wrong. I just wanted the 2007 style cleat on my 2007 boat. Trying to stay correct with the era.

russlars
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Nothing was wrong. I just wanted the 2007 style cleat on my 2007 boat. Trying to stay correct with the era.
Well I guess that tells us something about your personality. And I thought #1 was the only one that sweat those kind of details.;)

TMCNo1
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Well I guess that tells us something about your personality. And I thought #1 was the only one that sweat those kind of details.;)

Oh, oh, I'm doomed, but by the time I get mine installed, they will be #1 correct, I garoontee!:rolleyes::D

brucemac
03-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Sodar, so the foot print of the two cleats is similar, right? I realize the actual pull out part of the new style is a little chunkier in the middle, but the base that rests on the gel is essentially the same correct? i haven't received mine yet, but hopefully next week or early the next. i got hung up a bit on the word "slimline". i think also the new style are easier to install because the back part is completely flat so all you have to do is drill two holes, you don't have to rout out any additional gel like the older one's required, right?

Sodar
03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Sodar, so the foot print of the two cleats is similar, right? I realize the actual pull out part of the new style is a little chunkier in the middle, but the base that rests on the gel is essentially the same correct? i haven't received mine yet, but hopefully next week or early the next. i got hung up a bit on the word "slimline". i think also the new style are easier to install because the back part is completely flat so all you have to do is drill two holes, you don't have to rout out any additional gel like the older one's required, right?

Both style bases are flat. Only difference in mounting between the 2 is that the new style requires two 3/4" holes and the old style two 3/4" holes and two smaller holes for the two mounting bolts. The actually cleat is thicker on the new than the old, but the bases are close to the same for both styles.

brucemac
03-27-2009, 12:52 AM
right on, thanks! :)

wish i didn't have to tear my subwoofer apart to install the starboard forward cleat. :D

ahh well, it will be worth it. thanks again for the reply.

brucemac
03-30-2009, 10:55 PM
okay, i have questions.

i was able to get p-hat from cincy to shoot me a couple pics (thanks Paul!) of his cleats on his 205V. i took note of the measurments and headed out to the garage to get my bearings.

when i look up inside the observers compartment up above the rubrail, there appears to be some sort of backing plate glassed into the side of the gunwale. i looked over on the starboard side, and there appears to be one over there too. are these part of the windshield, or are these meant to be there for cleats? if the latter, how would you ever get a reference point for measuring their position on the other side? i was planning on having my mechanic do it in the next couple weeks when i de-winterize, but i want to make sure they're perfect and if that means explaining to him in detail where i want them and all, so be it!

anybody know if there's backing glassed in place at the factory for the cleats?

Sodar
03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Yes, those backing plates are for the cleats. Best way to do it would be to find a reference point that can be found from above and below deck (I used the tower bolts and rubrail). From there, you can line up the location of the backing plates and mark the deck with a grease pencil and layout the cleat location.

Good Luck!

brucemac
03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
okay, sweet. did you have plates in the stern as well? haven't pulled the carpet back in the lockers.

Sodar
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes, there are backing pads in the stern also.

brucemac
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
thanks cameron

cmw
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Pop up cleats. I wish I had your problems.:D

brucemac
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
thanks again boatnguyne. got the cleats last friday and just stopped by the shop and they're finishing the 3rd getting ready to do the 4th. they look awesome!

a few small surface scratches on a couple of them, but they're going to get used anyway, so no big deal. may have been from shipping. it was a great deal though, so again, no worries. thanks again for the deal and for the tips everybody.

boat should be ready to roll tomorrow. can't wait!!! :D

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Got the pair of pull up cleats and they are ready to install,

trickskier
04-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Got the pair of pull up cleats and they are ready to install,

That logo's not going to match your boat...............:rolleyes:

BriEOD
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Harold,

Seriously, you are going to cut into your boat to install those?? Wow!! I cannot believe my eyes--all kidding aside.

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
That logo's not going to match your boat...............:rolleyes:

That's ok, I'll get over it!:D They're better than nothing.

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Harold,

Seriously, you are going to cut into your boat to install those?? Wow!! I cannot believe my eyes--all kidding aside.

Yes sir! I can hang a fender off the interior handrail at the rear either side, but I can only hang one from the driver side mirror up front and need something for both sides if I ever dock on the passenger side. I'm afraid someday I'll break off the mirror.
I'll post proof of gelcoat puncture when I install them! I'm going to install them both sides, just under the mirror location which is the widest part of the boat on the fire orange stripe.46351

BriEOD
04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
10-4! Measure twice and cut once!!;)

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 09:36 PM
10-4! Measure twice and cut once!!;)

And look up behind the deck, under the dash above the rub rail to see if anything interferes with the posts and bolting them up!

TMCNo1
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Pull Up cleat project completed. Yes, I drilled 4 holes in our boat and it sure did smell good, just like being at the factory!

Cleats with engraving painted red to match boat,

Taped area, measured and marked area,

Lay out of tools with the addition of cordless drill and a 1/2" drive, 1" deep well socket and ratchet,

3/16" pilot hole drilled for Vari-bit,

Used Vari-bit to drill a 3/4" dia. hole and cleaned up hole to make straight with wood bit,53383

TMCNo1
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
More,

Holes drilled,

Tape removed and holes cleaned up with a X-acto knife,

Driver side, placed a 3/32" bead of silicone around the post bases, inserted and tightened with a 1", 1/2 drive deep well socket and ratchet because of the close quarters,

Observer side installed same as driver side, then vaccumed the carpet of all the debris both sides,

Rear fenders attach to inside handrail with Straightline QC Woggle,

brucemac
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
nice work no1 !!!

russlars
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Great Job #1. They look great. That takes a lot of guts to drill holes in your boat. I had the dealer put mine on because I couldn't bear to do it. You are going to really like them.

TMCNo1
04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys, it's really simple. I used methods I knew, plus learned here on Team Talk from others on how to drill without chipping the gelcoat. It's all about verifying, measure, check, measure, check every thing and increasing the hole size in very small amounts, checking for fit before you go and drill too big and ruin the whole thing. I even allowed the silicone to just about get dry before installing, so it would act like a o-ring on the post, rather than squirting out behind the cleat when you tighten them down.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Well done and well said. Gotta love this place!

flipper
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Looks good, did you cry when you had the drill in your hand?

TMCNo1
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Looks good, did you cry when you had the drill in your hand?

No, but, I was sweating like a ho in church, right after the preacher winked at her!:rolleyes::D

C36
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
TMCNo1: Great job - both on the cleats and on the post! Thanks for taking the time to document your work.

Thanks guys, it's really simple. I used methods I knew, plus learned here on Team Talk from others on how to drill without chipping the gelcoat. It's all about verifying, measure, check, measure, check every thing and increasing the hole size in very small amounts, checking for fit before you go and drill too big and ruin the whole thing. I even allowed the silicone to just about get dry before installing, so it would act like a o-ring on the post, rather than squirting out behind the cleat when you tighten them down.

Sledge
05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Looks great No1. I am thinking of installing cleats as you have done. Did you reinforce the underside or just attach directly to the fiberglass? If possible, could you post pics of the underside of your install?

TMCNo1
05-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Looks great No1. I am thinking of installing cleats as you have done. Did you reinforce the underside or just attach directly to the fiberglass? If possible, could you post pics of the underside of your install?

It's real tight in there and you will have to use a 1", 1/2 drive deep well socket/ ratchet to tighten the nuts and lock washers down. I did not reinforce behind them, cause I'll be using them for fenders only, not for tying up to docks. I use the bow eye and the transom eyes for that. The following pic is on the observer side, and the driver side is identical, but it is up behind the throttle/shift mechanism and has to be done by feel alone when screwing on the nuts and tightening them down. The back side of the cleats sit in a nice channel above the deck/hull/rubrail joint and the upper corner of the deck, with plenty of material for strength all around.

Sledge
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the pic and advice. Looks like you planned and measured very well.

When I get around to doing mine (when I get brave enough) I hope it turns out as well as yours.

coz
05-25-2009, 10:00 AM
It's real tight in there and you will have to use a 1", 1/2 drive deep well socket/ ratchet to tighten the nuts and lock washers down. I did not reinforce behind them, cause I'll be using them for fenders only, not for tying up to docks. I use the bow eye and the transom eyes for that. The following pic is on the observer side, and the driver side is identical, but it is up behind the throttle/shift mechanism and has to be done by feel alone when screwing on the nuts and tightening them down. The back side of the cleats sit in a nice channel above the deck/hull/rubrail joint and the upper corner of the deck, with plenty of material for strength all around.

I just put some in the rear 2 weeks ago. I don't have #1 style that say MC though :o

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/049.jpg

Sodar
05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
How does that slip work out on a busy weekend, Coz? Must be fun getting into the slip with the current and all! Aim high and end up low!!!

coz
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
How does that slip work out on a busy weekend, Coz? Must be fun getting into the slip with the current and all! Aim high and end up low!!!

It's tough as he!! on the busy weekends even after 25 years of practice, you should see the novices boats after a weekend here. You have to be about this far out aiming towards the dam, then hard right.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/093.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/094.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/095.jpg

TMCNo1
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
If you have plenty water depth in your slip, I'd be tempted to back the boat in and just let the bow ride the waves, rather than letting the transom, cleats and the dock take the abuse from the waves from all the traffic.

Sodar
05-25-2009, 12:29 PM
With the current (5+mph), it would be impossible to back the boat in. Unless you walked it in with a few people.

bigmac
05-25-2009, 12:58 PM
My 2004 Maristar came from the factory (at least from the dealer) with pull up cleats amidships (identical to below, on the outside opposite driver and passenger seats),

and spring-loaded Accon pop-ups (http://www.acconmarine.com/pc-19-3-pop-up-cleat.aspx) on the stern. Those stern cleats pop up by pushing a button, otherwise sit absolutely flat and flush with the deck (installation video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zn_cio7NRU)). Useful, of course, so that tow ropes don't hook the cleats while swinging side-to-side while attached to the pylon. No other discernible value (to me) for having retractable cleats amidships, other than being one less thing to hurt one's self on. The Accon pop-ups are really nice hardware -- reliable, functional, and sturdy.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/108104.jpg

coz
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
With the current (5+mph), it would be impossible to back the boat in. Unless you walked it in with a few people.

My neighbor has to do this because his older Tige will get swamped when it's busy, otherwise sodar's right, you ain't back'n in. People are probably looking at the pic saying what's so hard about that? :confused: I'd give you a $100 straight up if you could get in on the 3rd try on a busy day, cuz I guarantee you'd be hard reverse the first 2 tries :D then once you're in the slip the current is pulling you to the right and the wakes from all those damn wakeboard boats are pushing you foward against the dock :eek: :D

BriEOD
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
My neighbor has to do this because his older Tige will get swamped when it's busy, otherwise sodar's right, you ain't back'n in. People are probably looking at the pic saying what's so hard about that? :confused: I'd give you a $100 straight up if you could get in on the 3rd try on a busy day, cuz I guarantee you'd be hard reverse the first 2 tries :D then once you're in the slip the current is pulling you to the right and the wakes from all those damn wakeboard boats are pushing you foward against the dock :eek: :D

I'm late to the party on this but I'm your huckleberry. In fact, I'd let my wife take your $100. When we lived in Charleston we frequented a river that was formed off of a dammed lake for hydroelectric purposes. The ramp was roughly a half a mile from the dam. When they released water down the river it was a serious current. 5mph at least. You had to head into the current and then make a hard left to head for the trailer. About half way there a finger dock blocked the current but caused an eddy. It was a nightmare. There is a seafood restaurant there and folks would just sit on the dock and watch all the people try to put the boat on the trailer a dozen times over.

BrooksfamX2
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Any one have some MC pull up cleats to get rid of? I want to and them a midship for fender hangin'

JRW160
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Any one have some MC pull up cleats to get rid of? I want to and them a midship for fender hangin'
There were some on ebay a few months ago for $45 each. I ordered mine a while back and just got plain ones because I couldn't find the mastercraft ones for a reasonable price. I ordred the 6" version of these. Not sure why there is no pic on the site now, but they look identical to the mastercraft ones minus the lettering.
http://shop.acconmarine.com/products/102-450-style-pull-up-cleat.aspx