PDA

View Full Version : Building my 100' dock on KY. lake.

boyd
03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Not going to type much on the first one because I'm going to see if I get the pic. to the web-site correctly. Dock was built with 4x4x1/4 square tubing. We put the "H's" in 3' of concrete. Each hold took anywhere from 5-9 80# bags. 22 holes, all mixed by hand.
Here's the first couple of pics. Hope you enjoy.

boyd
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Using a laser level and finding the height of the water compared to the shore/water level and summer vs. winter pool we had all of the "H's" built and brought in to the site. We dug the holes, first with an auger. This was easy close to the shore but got very difficult the closer we got to the water. The holes would cave in. The last few there was 2 1/2 feet of water in a 3' hole. We leveled the H's, squared them and laser leveled the height.

X-5 Driver
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow, what a project. I can't wait to see the summer action pics!:dance:

boyd
03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
As I said. The holes were a bear. Once we got into the rock and gravel, known as "chirt" around here the auger did nothing but spin the rock around in the hole and drop it back down. Then it was post hole digging at it's best. One rock at a time. I've already heard all the stories of putting PVC pipe in the hole etc ..... it doesn't work for rocks this big. Average rock size was baseball size. I wanted to quit many times but already had the H's built.

boyd
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
You can see the wooden "frame" in the last pic. The frame was to keep us square. We used car jacks to get the proper height and a "come-a-long" to pull the new H against the frame for the proper distance. Once the new one was up we welded a piece of 2x2 angle iron across the holes and against the leg of the H to keep it from dropping into the hole.
Once that was done we poured the concrete and welded the 1/2 rebar cross bracing.
View from my front yard. The water is 1' below winter pool. The water be raised 5' above winter pool to give me 6' more than what you are seeing. I should have about 4 1/2 feet of water at the dock.

boyd
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Once all 11 "H's" were up for a total distance of 100' it was time to bring in the truss system.
These were made "in-shop". There size is 10x5. Each one was set with a tractor, set on our 2x2 angle that was welded to the 4x4 H's, and then welded all around.
Here's a shot of one of the truss's. Again, there are 10 of these.

Andyg
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow, can't believe your state will let you do that, then again I guess it is Kentucky:)! In Wisconsin as soon as you got the thing installed someone would complain to the DNR then they would come out to write you $10,000 in fines and still make you pull it out.

boyd
03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Here is a shot from the end of the dock looking back towards my house. You can see my driveway to the far right.

boyd
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Here is the view I will have this summer. I am standing on top of the end of the truss system looking out of the bay into the main channell.
Next weekend is the decking.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I think you could drive a cement truck on that thing. nice work.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, can't believe your state will let you do that, then again I guess it is Kentucky:)! In Wisconsin as soon as you got the thing installed someone would complain to the DNR then they would come out to write you $10,000 in fines and still make you pull it out.

What is wrong with a dock?? States have gone insane telling people what to and how to wipe their own arses.

scott023
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Here is the view I will have this summer. I am standing on top of the end of the truss system looking out of the bay into the main channell.
Next weekend is the decking.

Hesus... looking at the work here, I am glad I don't live on the water and have to worry about a dock. Looking forwardto seeing the finished product.

X-5 Driver
03-09-2009, 05:10 PM
What is wrong with a dock?? States have gone insane telling people what to and how to wipe their own arses.

Get used to that. :(

Sodar
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Try living in California. Most people with waterfront property cannot install a dock..... period.

What a lot of people have done is bought an old 24' pontoon boat installed solar powered nav lights and a 10hp outboard on the back. They attach the floating "dock" to the riverbank with moving arms that attach to the pontoon boat with a trailer coupler and a ball is welded to the pontoon.

What happens is the state comes out and says "Hey, that is not a boat, it is a dock" The people say, "OH yeah, I will move it right now and take it for a spin. They pop the trailer hitches off, fire up the 10 hp outboard and take it for a spin. The state looks at it and goes "OK, but you had better not be using it as a dock"

F- California, the Corps of Engineers and the Colorado River Indian Tribes! :mad:

chudson
03-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Great lookin dock "boyd", can't wait to see it finished !!!

Kevin&Annie
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Nice dock! Where about on K. lake are you? Our family has a place in Big Sandy..Know of a slalom course anywhere?

boyd
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I had to send in a set of plans and pay $200 for them to visit the site. I had to get approval from the TVA Tenn. Valley Authority. Then I had to get permission from the Army Corps of Engineers. Seems TVA is in charge of the lake from the edge of the water up to the flood area, which is about 15' above flood stage. The Corps is in charge of the water to make sure noone is in there way in managing barge traffic.
I'm glad they have standards and overlook the area. Otherwise everyone would clear trees for their view and there goes erosion and the banks. No trees were moved or even touched. I was in a small bay out of the main channell so everything was OK.
I'm on the left.
Many thanks to Richard (next to me) andKenneth (far right). We worked our tails off. Never knew these guys til this project but them and Keith I have much respect for.

Many many thanks to Keith for designing and prefabing all the materials.
You can also see the pump in the pic. We used this to pump water from the river to our site area to mix the concrete. We also used a pump to pump water out of the hole prior to pouring in the concrete.
p.s. This was taken at the end of post #11. 5 days of work from sunup til sundown.

boyd
03-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Really most of the credit should go to Keith at the Vocational School and Kenneth. I wanted a dock and got together with Keith, he built it in shop. Keith put me in touch with Kenneth. I was basically Kenneth's "fetch it" man.
We all three had input and it was a lot of fun. Can't decide whether or not to paint it prior to putting on the wood deck. I wanted it brown w/ a natural colored wood deck. And since rust is brown colored anyway. I thought I may let Mother nature paint it for me.

I have 2 weeks to decide. They start raising the water the first week of April.

Ski-me
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Some serious manual labor!! Looks nice though...

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Try living in California. Most people with waterfront property cannot install a dock..... period.

What a lot of people have done is bought an old 24' pontoon boat installed solar powered nav lights and a 10hp outboard on the back. They attach the floating "dock" to the riverbank with moving arms that attach to the pontoon boat with a trailer coupler and a ball is welded to the pontoon.

What happens is the state comes out and says "Hey, that is not a boat, it is a dock" The people say, "OH yeah, I will move it right now and take it for a spin. They pop the trailer hitches off, fire up the 10 hp outboard and take it for a spin. The state looks at it and goes "OK, but you had better not be using it as a dock"

F- California, the Corps of Engineers and the Colorado River Indian Tribes! :mad:

They love all the taxes these properties pay but when it comes to property rights he!! no we tell you how its going to be on your land.

JohnE
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
That is one hell of a dock. Very impressive. Why steel vs. wood? What is the cost of material on that thing? I won't even ask about labor.

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Very impressive.

Yes, I'm curious about the choice of metal vs. wood. I assume the metal will have a longer life span. I bet that thing is solid.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I would not hesitate to drive my truck down it.

boyd
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Wood vs. metal ???? I guess both have their advantages. I didn't choose metal, it chose me.
My friend who built it "in-shop" is a welding teacher. Instead of his students welding pieces of angle iron together to practice their techniques all day they practiced on the materials I bought them.
It just so happened when they got done there was a dock laying there : )
My friend took this on as a class project so his students could practice a job. They visitied the site, drew the plans, cut and made the pre-fab materials in shop. They also installed the trusse system. I am not at liberty to comment on the total cost of the dock. I will tell you I didn't pay near what it is worth. I can say the material was about $4300. I figured about another 7-800$ for lumber and $150 in special screws. I'm using 2x8 decking . I'm going to get 12 footers and cut them in 1/2. This way, I'll have a 6" overhand on each side to cover the posts H's.
No hand rails just a pier. I figure it's 6' wide. If they fall off they deserve to. Plus they will only fall into, at the most, 4 1/2 feet of water.
I'm having a drilling party next weekend. You are all invited. I'll supply the generator, screws, drinks and music. BYOD (Bring Your Own Drill).

KnoxX2
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Loos great! Congrats!

BTW great idea on useing the Vo Tech class.

X-5 Driver
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Wood vs. metal ???? I guess both have their advantages. I didn't choose metal, it chose me.
My friend who built it "in-shop" is a welding teacher. Instead of his students welding pieces of angle iron together to practice their techniques all day they practiced on the materials I bought them.
It just so happened when they got done there was a dock laying there : )
My friend took this on as a class project so his students could practice a job. They visitied the site, drew the plans, cut and made the pre-fab materials in shop. They also installed the trusse system. I am not at liberty to comment on the total cost of the dock. I will tell you I didn't pay near what it is worth. I can say the material was about $4300. I figured about another 7-800$ for lumber and $150 in special screws. I'm using 2x8 decking . I'm going to get 12 footers and cut them in 1/2. This way, I'll have a 6" overhand on each side to cover the posts H's.
No hand rails just a pier. I figure it's 6' wide. If they fall off they deserve to. Plus they will only fall into, at the most, 4 1/2 feet of water.
I'm having a drilling party next weekend. You are all invited. I'll supply the generator, screws, drinks and music. BYOD (Bring Your Own Drill).

I picture a big arse lake party with a bunch of metal shop students in your future. :D

CottagerGreg
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
definetly impressive.. can't wait to see the finished product... great deal on the metal too!

boyd
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling over the next few years I'll have this scenerio .........
I go out on my front porch, look at the dock and see some guy laying there drinking a beer and fishing. I''ll go out say " hey bub, whatcha doing on my dock?". He'll say "what do you mean, your dock, I built this darn thing in my shop and installed it." Not much I will be able to say.
Or better yet about 7-8 of them.
I'll post some pics of the install of the trusse ( I don't know how to spell) in a couple of days.

X-5 Driver
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling over the next few years I'll have this scenerio .........
I go out on my front porch, look at the dock and see some guy laying there drinking a beer and fishing. I''ll go out say " hey bub, whatcha doing on my dock?". He'll say "what do you mean, your dock, I built this darn thing in my shop and installed it." Not much I will be able to say.
I'll post some pics of the install of the trusse ( I don't know how to spell) in a couple of days.

Not to keep those guys out, but you may wanna install a locked gate if your property is that accessible to the public. I could see all kinds of folks driving by or motoring by in a boat and wanting to camp out on that dock for a day.

boyd
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Had to give the "real" workers some credit, where credit is due. Here's some pics of the prefab guys doing the great job they do.

boyd
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
One more. I liked this shot.

shepherd
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Awesome job Boyd. That is a great investment. Congrats, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Kevin&Annie
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
looks great! we will be in Big Sandy in a few weeks, maybe we'll bring the boat so we can check out this new wonder of the world.

Ric
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
as long as they bring beer and chicks right?

TX.X-30 fan
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
What are the chances of reaction between the concrete, steel and water over time??

TX.X-30 fan
03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Did you ever consider pile driving or whatever they call it, to the steel instead of the concrete.

JimN
03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
What happens if it rains the way it did in fall of '96? I was there at Ken-Lake Marina and it was nuts! Really bad for fishing, too.

boyd
03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Kevin and Anne,
Look me up when you come. Send me a pm and I'll give you my cell #.
Last year the water got up 5' over summer pool for 3 weeks. It was terrible. The only docks that made it through were the stationary ones. Many of the floaters came off of the spud poles. That's why I made mine the way I did. I even put it one foot higer than TVA says it needs to be. It's 3' above summer pool. I also am not putting hand rails. I don't want any logs to get caught up against it in a storm.

JimN, as much good advice as you give people on this site and save them a bunch of $, you PM me next time you are in the area and I"ll take you to catch some crappie.

Power driving would have been good but I figure this way was cheaper and just as good. Most poeple power drive those 2" pipes. Also most of the p. driving is when you have to go under the water and can't see or get to the bottom. Limited budget.

boyd
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Kevin,
Be careful during winter pool. There are many many shallow spots between the Big Sandy and where I am. They will start raising the water April 1. They raise it 1' a week for the month of April. Great fishing !!!

Texas 30, I hope the reaction is good. I've had a basketball goal in my driveway made out of steel and in concrete for 15 years. Hopefully there is not problem. Reminds me of something I learned during this process.
Concrete will set up completely under water.

TX.X-30 fan
03-11-2009, 08:45 PM
That is true about concrete and setting up under water, and I love crappie is your lake known for crappie?

Kevin&Annie
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, i know about winter pool there..lots of shallow spots.We are used to Center Hill where there are almost none! Couple years ago, Annie put me down in a crappie bed (how could she know, right?) and that was late summer. We are in the back of Lick Creek, house on the hill with huge green and white awning across the back, to the left. We will holler at ya if we bring the boat.

boyd
03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Painted this weekend. Did the H's and outside trusse system on Saturday and did the inside of the trusse system on Sunday. I was thinking of using a generator, aircompressor and car paint gun. I was in Lowe's looking at paint and saw the Wagenor paint gun. I've never owned one. That thing is AWESOME !! Worked like a champ. I used Rustoleum. 10 days and the decking goes down. Can't wait !!
The gray you see in pics is not where I missed. It's the light. : )
I walked that thing 3x before I cleaned the gun. Hopefully I will never have to paint the underside of the dock again.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Dang that is looking good!

scott023
03-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Not sure if that can be tagged as a dock... might be more appropriate to call it a pier. :)

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Just pour concrete on it now.

boyd
04-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boyd
04-05-2009, 10:25 PM
166 boards. 2 x 8's. 8-screws in each board. Self tapping screws.

Project finished. It took about 2 days to lay the boards. 3 people on and off.

Kevin&Annie
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
looks great! Are you gonna put a dock on the end so we can dock up and drink some beer later this summer? Maybe it's just hard to tell the water level from the pic..

lsupcar
04-05-2009, 11:36 PM
The water comes up fast. Looks good. You do good work. What is the decking screwed into? Self tapping into the steel framework? Bill Z

scramison
04-05-2009, 11:45 PM
nice job thats what I would call professional.

JimN
04-05-2009, 11:46 PM
166 boards. 2 x 8's. 8-screws in each board. Self tapping screws.

Project finished. It took about 2 days to lay the boards. 3 people on and off.

Are you going to install dock bumpers?

scott023
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Looks great... what was the total amount of labour hours used?

Bellinghamster
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
That was a serious project! That type of construction usually only gets done when the government is paying for it (i.e. bridges and grants to build boardwalks over sensitive wetlands).

What I really want to know is how you got the lake level so low the whole time you were building it, and now it's back up to "normal" just in time for the decking!?!

mitch
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
looks great! My lake is still frozen ;)

boyd
04-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. What a project. It was a labor of love, and still is. Each part was difficult and created a challenge I wasn't prepared for. I kept saying to myself, I only want to do this once. I wanted "overkill". I wanted to make it so one day I could ride my wheel chair down that thing : ) .
Now for the decking boards. 166 boards x 8 screws. A buddy of mine told me a quote that is very true. "Give the laziest man the hardest job, because he will find an easiest way to do it".
It took us 1/2 way down the dock to figure out the screws. Here it is .... pre-drill. HOwever, only pre-drill the wood. That's right. By reaming, the wood all the wood was not being jammed down against the metal. These screws had little wings on them to ream the wood so the threads of the screws would not lift the wood off the deck once the head hit the metal. You had to put some weight behind the drill. Battery powered drills ran out in about 15 minutes. Dewalt electric is the only way to go. I am a big time believer in Dewalt after this project. They are worth the extra $.
Now I have to figure out how to get on and off my boat since I am 3' above summer pool. My real goal was to build a pier to fish and sit. I wanted to be well above the summer storm waves.
My next goal probably next year is to put a floater t the end. Probably a 12x12.

TOO-TALL
04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow!!

That is nice.You could dock a cargo ship at that thing.:):)

JulioX2
04-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Great job Boyd. That thing is just awesome!! Looks like you'll definitely get some serious use out of it.

boyd
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I think I'm going to put a step at the end of the dock and put a rub rail on it. If I put it about 18"
above summer pool and 18" to the dock. So, one step up to the decking. I bought a nice aluminum ladder but I bought the extra wide steps. I got it long enough to go to the ground for swimming however, the steps will hit the boat. I also wanted to put bumpers on the 4x4 steel post along the side. They are 10' apart, so it would be nice for the boat. The problem with that may be my rebar. Where the rebar meets in the middle of the X is 1". That is about how thick my rub rail is. I don't want the rebar to touch the boat. I haven't done anything yet. In fact, I haven't dewinterized my boat yet. That is this weekend. I think when I get in the water with the boat, hopefully I will realize what needs to be done. I hope it is obvious.
And "yes". I was extremely blessed with the weather and lake levels. We planned the job according the TVA's projected levels. Of course those are projected. I got it painted just in time.
The steel, we actually had about 60 days to get it in. After it was painted we had all summer to get the decking on.
And yes, the 2x8's were screwed directly to the steel. 3/16 angle iron. I thought about screwing 2x4's the length of the dock on the angle iron, then using wood screws to drill the 2x8's to the 2x4's. There again, I had to make the decision ... fastest and easiest, or best. I would think .... if time and effort weren't a factor, what would I do. And again, I only want to do this once. Now it's time to start dreaming of floaters, bumpers, benches, lights, etc .....
It has been fun sharing this with you guys.

I'll post a pic in a couple of weeks with the1991 prostar 190 at the end of the dock.

Take care.
BOYD.