PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X-30, Oil film in ski locker

sking
03-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Oil film in ski locker. I have checked all obvious oil leak points, any body else having this issue?

bigmac
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Oil film in ski locker. I have checked all obvious oil leak points, any body else having this issue?
Your ski locker is connected to the bilge, so the oil film is coming from oil/water in the bilge. You might have an oil leak in the engine compartment from the engine or transmission, but it might also be just spilled oil. I've never changed an oil filter yet but what I haven't spilled some oil.

If you don't have water in your transmission oil, and if your engine isn't using excessive oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Your ski locker is connected to the bilge, so the oil film is coming from oil/water in the bilge. You might have an oil leak in the engine compartment from the engine or transmission, but it might also be just spilled oil. I've never changed an oil filter yet but what I haven't spilled some oil.

If you don't have water in your transmission oil, and if your engine isn't using excessive oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

It just seems to get worse. :mad:

bigmac
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
It just seems to get worse. :mad:
Are you saying that you actually believe all that hype about oil filters and the need to change them every so often?

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
.................. :d:d

russlars
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Check and see if you have a hole between your bilge and ski locker. If it does put one of those rubber stoppers in it (the kind that have a lever that expands the rubber when closed). This will at least seal off your ski locker from the bilge and keep the oil slick out of your ski locker. Just remember that if you dip the nose of the boat in the water and take on a lot of water that you will need to remove the plug to get the water back into the bilge to be pumped out.;)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
.................. :d:d

Love synthetic oil. I just wish someone would produce a quality oil filter that would outperform the standard filters on the market. It seems like a waste to change out good oil because the filter has reached the end of its useful life. No coincidence that your average filter has a lifespan that matches the useful life of petroleum based oil.

The synthetic oil works great up north where it gets cold by allowing engines to turn over much easier when its cold, as well as provide oil pressure much quicker than the conventional oil which turns to jello below zero.

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Check and see if you have a hole between your bilge and ski locker. If it does put one of those rubber stoppers in it (the kind that have a lever that expands the rubber when closed). This will at least seal off your ski locker from the bilge and keep the oil slick out of your ski locker. Just remember that if you dip the nose of the boat in the water and take on a lot of water that you will need to remove the plug to get the water back into the bilge to be pumped out.;)

Got a photo or link? I positively hate that I get a little water in my ski locker and it begins to smell like a rotting corpse!

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I have used synthetic oil since the first change on a 454 suburban and it sounds like a new motor at 100,000.

TMCNo1
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Got a photo or link? I positively hate that I get a little water in my ski locker and it begins to smell like a rotting corpse!

Stick a tampon in the drain to catch and soak up the oil!

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM

I am amazed how dry my rear storage stays 04x30. They look and smell like the showroom floor. I leave the cushions and locker lids open in the shed for a few day because I never want the corpse smell.

Never actually smelled a rotted corpse but I assume.

russlars
03-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I assume you mean the plug I was referring to? You can buy these here: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/326790094.htm

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Stick a tampon in the drain to catch and soak up the oil!

Is that what you use in the floor of your canoe? 8p

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I assume you mean the plug I was referring to? You can buy these here: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/326790094.htm

Thx...will pick one up ASAP!!!!:cool:

bigmac
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Love synthetic oil. I just wish someone would produce a quality oil filter that would outperform the standard filters on the market. It seems like a waste to change out good oil because the filter has reached the end of its useful life. No coincidence that your average filter has a lifespan that matches the useful life of petroleum based oil.

The synthetic oil works great up north where it gets cold by allowing engines to turn over much easier when its cold, as well as provide oil pressure much quicker than the conventional oil which turns to jello below zero.

In modern oils using group II base stocks, oil life isn't determined by breakdown, it's determined by acid, soot, and other particulate accumulation, and there's no difference between synthetic and mineral oils in that regard. Shear stability is pretty equivalent.

Cold starting in Minnesota winter temps is one thing, and I do use synthetic (whatever they sell at Rapid Oil Change) in the winter for that reason (I change back in the summer). Other than that, synthetic oils are basically a waste of money.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Only way oil and water is getting into the side storage lockers is the bildge pump is dead and the fluids have risen 4/6 inches and run into those areas.

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I am amazed how dry my rear storage stays 04x30. They look and smell like the showroom floor. I leave the cushions and locker lids open in the shed for a few day because I never want the corpse smell.

Never actually smelled a rotted corpse but I assume.

I don't have any problems except for the ski locker in the walk through. Water gets in there and short of scooping it out with a cup, won't leave. Over time, it starts to smell, bad.

I've smelt plenty of corpses, including burning ones--it isn't pleasant.:(

TMCNo1
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Is that what you use in the floor of your canoe? 8p Yep, while paddleing around the bouy!

ted shred
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't put a group II oil on my salad, let alone in my motor.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't have any problems except for the ski locker in the walk through. Water gets in there and short of scooping it out with a cup, won't leave. Over time, it starts to smell, bad.

I've smelt plenty of corpses, including burning ones--it isn't pleasant.:(

Mine has a bag in there so I see what your saying, I have to use beach towels when its wet.