PDA

View Full Version : 2008 190 RTP gearbox slipping on holeshot

woody
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm after anyone else has had issues with gearbox slipping out of the hole, if there's really a design issue or whether its due to meatheaded new drivers we've had in the boat.

I don't want to roast anyone at the club for mechanical insensitivity - but stuggle to believe MC would even contemplate putting a gearbox not up to the job of an RTP.......especially as the previous two 190s with previosu evolutions of the same engine (1996 and 2001) had absolutely lovely gearboxes, and the 1996 got abused as an overloaded wakeboard boat for a good few years.

03 35th Anniversary
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
If it is that new and slipping it might have gotten water in it.

erkoehler
03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Have you had your dealer check in to the problem?

woody
03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
that's a thought... how would we know? and of so what fixes it - change fluid and don't leave out in the rain?

erkoehler
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
that's a thought... how would we know? and of so what fixes it - change fluid and don't leave out in the rain?

and keep the bilge dry.....

woody
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Have you had your dealer check in to the problem?

yeah, they replaced the gearbox last autumn at around 160 hours, we're now approaching190 hours and its started again

and to my knowledge the potential meatheads haven't been near the boat/water as its been to chilly for them

russlars
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
This may be an obvious question, but have you checked the level of fluid in it while it is in the water. Mine did that a couple years ago after a fluid change and it was just a little low on transmission fluid. Fine on the trailer, low in the water. Added fluid and slipping stopped!

woody
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm out at the lake this weekend so will check it, last time checked the tranny fluid was on the trailer, so I'll look on the water. Dumb of me not to thing of the fluid, as only check the engine oil on the water as on the trailer it always reads too high........cheers russlars.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Who are these meatheads you speak of?

russlars
03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm out at the lake this weekend so will check it, last time checked the tranny fluid was on the trailer, so I'll look on the water. Dumb of me not to thing of the fluid, as only check the engine oil on the water as on the trailer it always reads too high........cheers russlars.
One other technical detail. Don't screw the dipstick in to check the level. Just dip it in until it touches the housing and draw it out. Otherwise you will also get an artificially high reading on the dipstick.:)