PDA

View Full Version : Hull Repair: Gel Coat or Epoxy?

beatle78
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
OK, so I have a decision to make. I'm waiting for a quote on the repair bill for the blistered hull on the bottom of my 2001 205V.

He said I can either have him grind the blisters out and epoxy the bottom (much cheaper), or have the bottom re gel coated (much much more expensive).

How would this affect my resale value as opposed to the epoxy? Also factoring in that the gel coat repair will probably be thousands more than the epoxy.

This is for the bottom only.

Thanks!

erkoehler
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Having it done w/ gel means that you will not be able to find the repair when it is done. This will provide the strongest resale value as a new buyer shouldn't be able to tell that any work has ever been done, it should appear 100% factory.

Using epoxy is a shortcut not a repair.....why not just leave the blisters (depending how bad they are)? Does the boat currently sit in the water all summer?

Many buyers will not even consider a boat w/ an epoxy repair to the hull.

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Are the seats turning pink also??

beatle78
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Having it done w/ gel means that you will not be able to find the repair when it is done. This will provide the strongest resale value as a new buyer shouldn't be able to tell that any work has ever been done, it should appear 100% factory.

Using epoxy is a shortcut not a repair.....why not just leave the blisters (depending how bad they are)? Does the boat currently sit in the water all summer?

Many buyers will not even consider a boat w/ an epoxy repair to the hull.

I need to repair the blisters b/c they are cracking. I'm afraid of the damage the water will do when it gets under the gel coat.

What is a ballpark cost to have the entire bottom of a boat sanded down and re-gelcoated.

Yes, the boat did sit in the water during the summer. Well, I bought a lift now.

beatle78
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Are the seats turning pink also??

no why?..................

woftam
03-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Either way the blisters will need to be ground to solid material. Done properly, and your guy has a good rep, epoxy is a legitimate repair, but will not bring the boat back to cosmetically original condition. Epoxy will create a barrier coat that will help prevent the problem recurring.

If the funds are available, gel coat if the boat is to be kept out of the water when not in use. Epoxy, with an epoxy barrier coat and appropriate bottom paint otherwise.

JohnE
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Beatle, what are the costs of each method? I'd be inclined to go with a gelcoat.

ttu
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
when i USED to have a 05 supra the hull developed blistering where it sit on the trailer bunks. skier's choice repaired the problem under warranty. they came back the following year:mad:

also curious what kind of $$ you are looking at.

beatle78
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. I will have a quote this week. I will share once I know to see if it's in line with other repairs.

Sodar
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I would not go with epoxy.

A local guy with a 72' Bertram had osmotic blistering all over the bottom of the boat. They put it up in the yard, ground all the messed up gel and glass off and let the boat dry out for almost 6 months (granted his was an extreme case). When they put the boat back together they used epoxy followed by barrier coat, followed by primer, followed by bottom paint. Just my memories of how the bottom looked without bottom paint (think yellow/brownish color), I would not want to be cruising around like that on the bottom of any trailerable boat.

If you have a lift, go with gel. If you are planning on leaving the boat in the water for another season, then I recommend the epoxy with a barrier coat and white bottom paint (if you state allows white bottom paint, in Cali, we have to go to AZ to get it).

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
no why?..................

Lame 02lightening joke. :D

beatle78
03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Lame 02lightening joke. :D

WOW, you remember a post that was 1 year before you joined TT? You're good.

Yah it seems like MC had some issues in 2001.

beatle78
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
OK, here's the scoop.

~$1500 to sand and barrier coat (white)
~$6,000-$7,000 to re gel coat the whole bottom

I'm thinking barrier coat is the winner for now. I can't fathom spending more than $4k right now given what I have going on.

ttu
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
wow!:mad:

sorry to hear

Jorski
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Get another quote...that is way too big of a difference.

Sodar
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Agreed!

Also, why go with the epoxy? If you cannot afford to do it right, just wait until you can. I do not think you can hurt it anymore that you already have, right? :confused:

X-5 Driver
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Does anyone else have these tiny little micro-cracks in their gel coat? I have a couple that come off of the rear tower attachment on each side. I am thinking about stop-drilling it and filling in the hole with that gel-coat repair stuff. I picked-ed up this stop-drilling thing from our helicopter mechanics that use it to stop cracks from getting larger/longer in plexiglass. They basically drill a small hole right at the end of the crack to change the shape from a sharp end, that will continue to grow, to a round end. Thoughts?

JohnE
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Yeah, that's way too cheap for epoxy.:D

Holman J.B.F
03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
go with 5 layers of gelshield 200 from interlux and 2 layers anti-fouling.This is an osmose protection system wich will last for ever.There are several different types of ant-fouling.
Hard and soft anti-foulings some have copper aditive.Every 2 years refresh the anti-fouling.
A gelcoat repair under the waterline must be done with a iso gelcoat,and even then there is no garantee that it will not happen again.Most boats manufacterors are not giving warranty on the gelcoat when a boat sits in the water for a long period.

fyi as a boat painter i do not use bottompaint.But as soon as the first blisters apear ,i will.
I do,nt understand the hole resale story etc,..big yachts have all bottompaints wich also cost a fortune.A good osmose protection system isn,t cheap either and you don,t need a lift;)

beatle78
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I already have the lift now.

I told him to go ahead with the epoxy. He came highly recommended from the MC dealership.

Unfortunately, I have very little time to truck my boat all over for quotes.

The reason why I'm fixing it is b/c the blisters have all cracked (probably b/c the water in them froze)

JohnE
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Did you bottom paint your boat Holman?

beatle78
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Agreed!

Also, why go with the epoxy? If you cannot afford to do it right, just wait until you can. I do not think you can hurt it anymore that you already have, right? :confused:

This blisters have cracked and I'm afraid of the damage to the fiberglass.

Also, the barrier coat he said was epoxy. Don't know what that means.

It is white and the bottom of the boat is white. So hopefully it won't look too bad. I'll post pics when it's done (regardless of how it looks.)

dpolen
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I had some blisters on my maristar fixed this past fall...cost me $3K out of pocket...looks like new now. I had an area about 3 feet by 3feet on the rear of the hull. Sucks to pay the money, but its was a risk I took when I decided to let my boat sit in the lake the past 2 summers.

beatle78
03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I had some blisters on my maristar fixed this past fall...cost me $3K out of pocket...looks like new now. I had an area about 3 feet by 3feet on the rear of the hull. Sucks to pay the money, but its was a risk I took when I decided to let my boat sit in the lake the past 2 summers.

I never even new freshwater boats got blisters. 90% of the boats here on our lakes in RI stay in the water all summer long. No reported blisters. My whole bottom is blisters.

I guess some boats do it and some don't. My BU sat in the water all summer and it looked brand new when I sold it. Not that BU's don't blister, that's the only comparison I had. My neighbor had MC from 1992-2006 and they sat in the water all summer long without issue.

Some say it's more prevalent in the warmer water of the south. The guy doing the repair thinks it has to do with how well they applied the gel coat in the mold. Air bubbles, spray pressure ect.

Guess I got a Friday Boat :(

ttu
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I never even new freshwater boats got blisters. 90% of the boats here on our lakes in RI stay in the water all summer long. No reported blisters. My whole bottom is blisters.

I guess some boats do it and some don't. My BU sat in the water all summer and it looked brand new when I sold it. Not that BU's don't blister, that's the only comparison I had. My neighbor had MC from 1992-2006 and they sat in the water all summer long without issue.

Some say it's more prevalent in the warmer water of the south. The guy doing the repair thinks it has to do with how well they applied the gel coat in the mold. Air bubbles, spray pressure ect.

as i said in a earlier post to your thread, my supra got them bad twice. maybe spent 3 nights in the water. i have heard numerous reports either on wakeworld or the supra site of that skier's choice has had many issues with this.

Holman J.B.F
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Did you bottom paint your boat Holman?

no i didn,t,i do not have any problems with the gelcoat yet.

dpolen
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

I should probably note that the area that I had to have fixed appeared to have been "repaired" previously by someone. Everything that looked to be the original gelcoat has held up well. Guess I should have bought that $4K lift 2 years ago :( The gel coat is a porous material, that's why they suggest using the bottom paint.

I did see a product in the new Overtons catalog...anybody ever use this stuff?
http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/21716_M1.jpg