PDA

View Full Version : Spongy Floor 08 197..Normal or not?

Marc
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I have an 08 197 (brand new) that has an area behind the drivers seat (see pic)
that doesn't feel solid. I was kneeling in this area looking at the
engine (trying to get the shower figured out) and I heard a slight
crackle and felt the floor flex.

I searched the threads here for pictures of where they drill the holes
in the floor to inject the flotation foam in but they had all been
deleted from 2005.

One thread said they drill five 3 inch holes from front to back on both
sides, then glass them over.

Does anyone have pics of the deck before the carpet is laid or have had
this done? Assuming it isn't normal to have some flex between what
seems to be a stringer and the side of the boat.

Anyone else see and feel this in there boat and what if anything was
done about it???

The dealer won't be back from vacation until mid week and I was kind of
wanting some good information as to if others have seen this situation.

Thanks!!!!

Marc

woody
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
gotta 2008 190, similar-ish and there's nowt squidgy in the area you highlight...

Marc
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Is that "now" squidgy or "not" squidgy in that area??

gotta 2008 190, similar-ish and there's nowt squidgy in the area you highlight...

Andyg
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Definetly not normal. This happened on my 2007 PS197. I had at least three spots where the floor bubbled, two spots behind the drivers seat and one in the bilge under the tranny. In my case you could actually see the bulge in the carpet where the floor lifted up. I don't know how they would fix it as they did not fix mine, I purchased a 2008 and let the dealer and MasterCraft deal with it. Here is a photo of the floor in my boat that was delaminated.

woody
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Is that "now" squidgy or "not" squidgy in that area??

apologises, english abbreviation for "nothing"

Marc
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
After looking at Andyg's pictures, I went back out in the garage and did the level thing on the observers side. With the heavy carpet liner in the boat I couldn't feel the bow.

This bow runs down the engine cover length. It is flat near the front seat and flat behind the engine cover. When I put the heel of my foot on it I can here crackling sounds.

I hope this doesn't mean a 4 day old boat in my possession has floor delamination problems...

It was at the dealers for almost a year before I bought it...

Does this appear to be what I think it is????

Andyg
03-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I have to believe there is a fix for this issue as I have seen it on a few boats here. It will probably be a pretty involved repair. I had the carpet replaced in my 2008 at the end of the season last year and you can't tell it isn't the original. As long as your dealership has a good service department I think they should be able to complete the repair and return the boat to new.

I know the frustration that comes with having a large problem like this with a brand new boat. I would recommend not getting too hot with your dealership over it though. Work the problem through your dealership and things will work out.

cbryan70
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
that cant be good at all. That is on the boat carpet and not that 40th mat correct?

sethro
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
That is a definite problem as the others have said. However, don't get too worked up about it as I'm sure MC will take care of it...I doubt it is a problem that should keep you off the water, but I would get it documented and then repaired during your off season. Should be a warranty repair without question.

Look on the bright side of things, you can wear shoes in your new boat knowing the carpet will be replaced when they repair the floor. :D

Marc
03-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes, just the plain carpet.

The mat is red and black and almost as thick as some home carpets...

that cant be good at all. That is on the boat carpet and not that 40th mat correct?

Stritt
03-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Not normal. Experienced the same problem on a 03. Talk to MasterCraft they will take care of you. They did me. Good Luck.