A billion
minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C.

A billion
hours ago our ancestors were living in
the Stone Age.

D.

A billion
days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

A
billion dollars ago was only
8 hours
and 20
minutes,
at the
rate our government

is
spending it.

While this
thought is still fresh in our brain...

let's take
a look at New Orleans ..

It's
amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana
Senator,
Mary
Landrieu (D)
is
presently asking
Congress
for

250 BILLION
DOLLARS

to rebuild
New Orleans . Interesting
number....

what does
it mean?

A.

Well... if
you are one of the 484,674 residents of New
Orleans

(every
man, woman, and child)
you
each get $516,528.

B.

Or... if
you have one of the 188,251 homes in
New
Orleans , your
home gets
$1,329,787.

C.

Or... if
you are a family of four...

your
family gets
$2,066,012.

Washington , D.C .

HELLO!

Are all
your calculators broken??

Accounts
Receivable Tax

Building
Permit Tax

CDL License
Tax

Cigarette
Tax

Corporate
Income Tax

Dog License
Tax

Federal
Income Tax
Federal
Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing
License Tax
Food License
Tax
Fuel Permit
Tax
Gasoline Tax

Hunting
License Tax
Inheritance
Tax
Inventory
Tax
IRS Interest
Charges (tax on top of tax)
IRS
Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax

Luxury Tax

Marriage
License Tax
Medicare Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate
Tax

Service
charge taxes
Social
Security Tax
Road Usage
Tax (Truckers)
Sales Taxes

Recreational
Vehicle Tax
School Tax

State Income
Tax
State
Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone
Federal Excise Tax
Telephone
Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
Telephone
Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone
Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone
State and Local Tax
Telephone
Usage Charge
Tax

Utility Tax

Vehicle
License Registration Tax
Vehicle
Sales Tax
Watercraft
Registration Tax
Well Permit
Tax
Workers
Compensation Tax

STILL
THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of
these taxes existed 100 years ago..
and our
nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had
absolutely no national debt...
We had the
largest middle class in the world...
and Mom
stayed home to raise the kids.

What
happened?

Can you
spell 'politicians!'

And
I still have to
press
"1"
for
English.

What the
heck happened??

JimN
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
My first ancestors to come here would not be happy with the way things are going but they're relative newcomers.

shepherd
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
My first ancestors to come here would not be happy with the way things are going but they're relative newcomers.

Yeah, but would they go back?

shepherd
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
That was kind of a serious question... If I really really really hated the way this country was going, was there some other country I'd rather live in? Australia? Costa Rica??? Canada????

woody
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Those are scary numbers....

I wonder if we had the total given to the banks worldwide recently and divided that by the number of bankers whether we'd get a horrbily large number? I'm oil industry construction, firm just had record profits and we're going to make people redundant, including possibly me. Bankers - bless as some are friends of mine - get bailed out.

JimN
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but would they go back?

I said 'relative' newcomers and meant relative to that list. They've been dead for over 275 years.

If anyone can go to the old Dodge Cemetery on Block Island, RI, listen for rumbling under the ground- it may be them trying to get out.

JimN
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
That was kind of a serious question... If I really really really hated the way this country was going, was there some other country I'd rather live in? Australia? Costa Rica??? Canada????

Of that group, I would probably go to Australia or New Zealand. I don't like the climate here enough to go to Canada and I don't know enough about Costa Rica to make a call one way or another. Yet.

AussieMC
03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
No..No don't come to Australia, the weather is no good, the economy is just as bad as the US, and there isn't much land left.:D:D;)

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
JimN, you should head to Antarctica. I hear land is cheap and with global warming, it will probably be pretty pleasant.:D

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

You had me going till the canada thing. :D:D

I do believe this is a question many many people will consider/ponder in the years to come. The way this country is going it hardly resembles the America my parents and grandparents loved.

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Costa Rica looks nice.

cbryan70
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I blame this all on those texans

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Costa Rica looks nice.

So does Bogota.:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I blame this all on those texans

bush sucks. :D

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:27 PM
So does Bogota.:rolleyes:

Is that in Australia?? :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I plan on moving to Aruba and marketing date rape drugs. :D

Oh calm down its a joke.

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Is that in Australia?? :confused:

Are you serious?

Bogota is in Colombia. Very pretty place. Never mind all the guerrillas, drug lords and cocaine. You should go for a visit. When you go, make sure you take a nice stroll through the jungle to take in all the scenery. ;)

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Are you serious?

Bogota is in Colombia. Very pretty place. Never mind all the guerrillas, drug lords and cocaine. You should go for a visit. When you go, make sure you take a nice stroll through the jungle to take in all the scenery. ;)

I am feeling the love. ;)

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
ChadB said he will give you a hug. :D

JimN
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
JimN, you should head to Antarctica. I hear land is cheap and with global warming, it will probably be pretty pleasant.:D

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM
ChadB said he will give you a hug. :D

Come here and give me a big ol' man hug. :D

JimN
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
That's the wallpaper on your computer, isn't it? So sad. :D

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
LMAO!!! Good one Jim.

I feel sorry for his wife.

scott023
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
You had me going till the canada thing. :D:D

I do believe this is a question many many people will consider/ponder in the years to come. The way this country is going it hardly resembles the America my parents and grandparents loved.

Here we go... you all should be so lucky as to join us in the great north. When you travel overseas, you were the Canadian flag on your backpacks and are treated like royalty where ever you go. :D;)

shepherd
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
If anyone can go to the old Dodge Cemetery on Block Island, RI, listen for rumbling under the ground- it may be them trying to get out.

I think I saw that movie! :eek3:

JimN
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I think I saw that movie! :eek3:

Not a movie, some of my ancestors are buried there and I figure they're trying to bust out to fix things, not eat brains.

JimN
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Here we go... you all should be so lucky as to join us in the great north. When you travel overseas, you were the Canadian flag on your backpacks and are treated like royalty where ever you go. :D;)

Refresh my memory- which country is it that most of the world comes to when they need to be bailed out? Don't get me wrong, Canada has been a great ally but they aren't, and have never been, a World power. We have helped every country, friend or foe, and in many cases never expected much of a repayment.

Besides, Milwaukee already has enough people ending sentences with "eh?".:D

TMCNo1
03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
[quote=shepherd;579598]I think I saw that movie! :eek3:[/quote

I love westerns, especially them ones when Arnold and Chuck fight it out at high noon on main street in front of the Outback!:rolleyes:

scott023
03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Refresh my memory- which country is it that most of the world comes to when they need to be bailed out? Don't get me wrong, Canada has been a great ally but they aren't, and have never been, a World power. We have helped every country, friend or foe, and in many cases never expected much of a repayment.

Besides, Milwaukee already has enough people ending sentences with "eh?".:D

Good thing for you were allies now... the last time we went to war, it ended with us buring down the white house.

Anyway, we are a world power in our own right... we're not bullies, probably why our country is respected world wide (with the exception of a lot of americans). I may be mistaken, but the US seems to "help" a lot of countries that do not want the help, for their own benefit.

Maybe I'm too patriotic... seems I take offence to Canada bashing. :D

JimN
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Anyway, we are a world power in our own right... we're not bullies, probably why our country is respected world wide (with the exception of a lot of americans). I may be mistaken, but the US seems to "help" a lot of countries that do not want the help, for their own benefit.

Maybe I'm too patriotic... seems I take offence to Canada bashing. :D

First of all, Canada was fighting on behalf of, and funded by England because a lot of Loyalists fled when the heat was on. Second, you have enough in-fighting for a country with a larger population. Third, Capitalism works much better than Communism, but when a country goes that way, the people lose most of their freedoms and therefore, their will. Any form of government can go wrong and it's usually not the design that causes this, it's the ones who want power over everything else. Sometimes it's a single person, sometimes it's a group but when the government tells the people what they need and that they'll provide everything based on a system of taking from the ones who already pay for most of the expenses/provide jobs/create new products & markets, those people leave and the wheels fall off.

"Good thing for you were allies now... the last time we went to war, it ended with us burning down the white house."

And that accomplished exactly what? That's not where the government is, it's where the President lives. It was an insult, but nothing more. Also, the US was still reeling from the costs of the Revolutionary War.

We haven't been attacked since 9-11. What's your take on the reason? Admittedly, it's not because we closed the borders, our airport screening is as bad as ever and we haven't exactly been quiet as a mouse. I expect that to change. Obama promised change and we got it. The world markets have done a back slide in the last month and a half because they don't like the direction we're going, with all of the government spending. Programs will be cut and border security is sure to be one of the hardest hit, along with the military. That's a big problem.

As far as Canada bashing, you're being pretty thin-skinned. What has been posted is like a mosquito bite compared with what some from Up Nort have posted and to be honest, I got really tired of that c-rap a long time ago, but it hasn't stopped. Try being on this side and seeing members of your government taking it over and making it into something that the Constitution was written specifically to avoid.

Canada bashing- hardly. I don't have any animosity toward Canada and there's no reason to. The fact remains- when Third World countries are at war, have disease, famine and chaos, they always come here for aid.

:D

scott023
03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
And that accomplished exactly what? That's not where the government is, it's where the President lives. It was an insult, but nothing more. Also, the US was still reeling from the costs of the Revolutionary War.

Well, we did win the war. :D

As far as Canada bashing, you're being pretty thin-skinned. What has been posted is like a mosquito bite compared with what some from Up Nort have posted and to be honest, I got really tired of that c-rap a long time ago, but it hasn't stopped.

Reading my post back, it didn't seem like I was joking, which I was. I apologize for that. I take the Canada jokes lightly, I didn't mean to come off strong.

Jorski
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Back to the original topic:

1 BILLION Dollars is about .00007 of GDP

As for the "Canada bashing"...none of our banks have failed - maybe some of our ideas aren't all that bad. BTW, they are privately held with no quasi gov't agencies such as Freddie or Fannie mucking up the works.

We do have more banking regulation than in the US...you have to have a downpayment when you buy a house, a reasonable loan to value. You have to prove income...crazy rules like that.;)

shepherd
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Sometimes it's a single person, sometimes it's a group but when the government tells the people what they need and that they'll provide everything based on a system of taking from the ones who already pay for most of the expenses/provide jobs/create new products & markets, those people leave and the wheels fall off.

I know I read that book. :cool:

shepherd
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't hate Canada. I listed it as one of the alternatives I'd consider if I decided to leave the U.S.

I could spend my weekends doing this! :D

scott023
03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't hate Canada. I listed it as one of the alternatives I'd consider if I decided to leave the U.S.

I could spend my weekends doing this! :D

Shep, there are lots of things to do besides ice fish (boring as he!! in my opinion). :D

I'd list some o fthe to do's, butcan't think of any right now besides smowmobile.

mayo93prostar
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
How many zeros in a billion?

250 BILLION
DOLLARS

to rebuild
New Orleans . Interesting
number....

what does
it mean?

A.

Well... if
you are one of the 484,674 residents of New
Orleans

(every
man, woman, and child)
you
each get $516,528.

B.

Or... if
you have one of the 188,251 homes in
New
Orleans , your
home gets
$1,329,787.

C.

Or... if
you are a family of four...

your
family gets
$2,066,012.

What the
heck happened??

Back to BriEOD's original intent, why rebuild New Orleans if everyone that lives there can get half a million dollars then just move them out and let it go into the sea. then these people can go elsewhere in the country and buy a house and a new car from an american owned company. Let's leave Canada bashing out of this and think about the real problem with the politicians in Washington........

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I hate it when jorski makes sense

JimN
03-09-2009, 02:14 PM

As for the "Canada bashing"...none of our banks have failed - maybe some of our ideas aren't all that bad. BTW, they are privately held with no quasi gov't agencies such as Freddie or Fannis mucking up the works.

We do have more banking regulation than in the US...you have to have a downpayment when you buy a house, a reasonable loan to value. You have to prove income...crazy rules like that.;)

Exactly my point. Congress, the CRA (Community Re-investment Act which at face value, is a good thing), Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and Franklin Raines are directly responsible for the FNMA/FDMA collapse. The Founding Fathers didn't want big government but that's exactly what the Democrats have wanted all along and now, they have it- we have it. The blame everyone and their brother when something goes wrong but never accept any of the blame. If they lose an election, the first thing they do is come up with a plan to get back in office, not work with the other side to make the country work better. The say they want to give people more, but by keeping low income people fat, stupid and dependent on the government, they have no chance of looking like the bad guy when someone wants to reign in overspending, like what's happening now.

That said, I won't let the GOP avoid their share of the blame. The way we got into this is sickening and the onl;y thing worse is that Congress wants to look like it was all someone else's fault.

The idiotic lending hasn't been going on for long. When I bought my house about 12 years ago, the normal down payment was 20% with bad credit, 10% with good credit and less with excellent credit. That came to a crashing halt when those in Congress (the three I mentioned earlier, but mainly Raines) said that not lending to low income people is racist. If they would normally qualify but were denied based on race, I would agree. The reason they were denied is because they were deadbeats and should never have been approved. The bad loans were sold off, usually a few times and by a certain point, nobody knew who held the notes. A new investment was created to sell off the loans and pretty soon, it was an international Ponzi scheme.

Add the uncertainty that exists now and the stock market was sure to freak out and every time you turn around, Congress is patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Looking at the dirtbags they've been throwing against the wall, I'm surprised they've found someone who sticks so soon, but when you're that quiet about the vetting process, that's bound to happen.

BriEOD
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM

As for the "Canada bashing"...none of our banks have failed - maybe some of our ideas aren't all that bad. BTW, they are privately held with no quasi gov't agencies such as Freddie or Fannie mucking up the works.

Dude, don't even start. When they talk about superpowers and projecting soft power, etc, Canada doesn't exactly come to mind. I've never heard of Canadianization. 8p

TMCNo1
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
NEW PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION┬

This is probably the best e-mail I've seen in a long, long time. The
following has been attributed to State Representative Mitchell Kaye from
GA.┬ This guy should run for President one day...

"We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help
everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid more riots,
keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings
of debt-free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren,
hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense
guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, delusional, and other
liberal bed- wetters. We hold these truths to be self evident: that a
whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim they
require a Bill of NON-Rights."┬

ARTICLE I: ┬ You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV, or any
other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them,
but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II: ┬ You do not have the right to never be offended. This country
is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you!
You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion,
etc.; but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.┬

ARTICLE III: ┬ You do not have the right to be free from harm. If┬ you
stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful; do not expect
the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently
wealthy.

ARTICLE IV: ┬ You do not have the right to free food and housing.
Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help
anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation
after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more
than the creation of another generation of professional couch
potatoes┬ .┬

ARTICLE V:┬ You do not have the right to free health care. That would be
nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in
public health care.

ARTICLE VI:┬ You do not have the right to physically harm other people.
If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don't be
surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair..┬

ARTICLE VII: ┬ You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If
you rob, cheat, or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens,
don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a
place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV or a
life of leisure.┬

ARTICLE VIII: ┬ You do not have the right to a job. All of us sure┬ want
you to have a job, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we
expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and
vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful. (AMEN!)┬

ARTICLE IX:┬ You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American
means that you have the right to PURSUE happiness, which by the way, is a
lot easier if you are unencumbered by an over abundance of idiotic laws
created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.┬

ARTICLE X: ┬ This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you
are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you
came from! (Lastly....)┬

ARTICLE XI: You do not have the right to change our country's history or
heritage. This country was founded on the belief in one true God. And yet,
you are given the freedom to believe in any religion, any faith, or no
faith at all; with no fear of persecution┬ The phrase IN GOD WE TRUST is
part of our heritage and history, and if you are uncomfortable with it,
TOUGH!

JimN
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
And, as if the "We'll tell you what you want, what you need, when you'll get it, how much it will cost and how you'll pay for it" Party didn't think government is in everyone's affairs too much already, this:
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/06/talk_radio.html

Jorski
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Dude, don't even start. When they talk about superpowers and projecting soft power, etc, Canada doesn't exactly come to mind. I've never heard of Canadianization.

Maybe you should have ?:D

shepherd
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Dude, don't even start. When they talk about superpowers and projecting soft power, etc, Canada doesn't exactly come to mind. I've never heard of Canadianization. 8p

I thought we were suffering from Mexiconization??? :rolleyes: