PDA

View Full Version : No Wake or Big Wake

ski_king
03-07-2009, 03:34 PM
What is your preference?

In case you need help.......
No Wake: Slalom, barefoot

Big Wake: Wakeboard, etc.

Sorry, no choice for both, choose the one you prefer more than the other.

shepherd
03-07-2009, 04:29 PM
After last year's lack of representation, I understand this will be the design for the 2009 CSM T-shirt. :D

jixxxer
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Thats just wrong!

Footin
03-07-2009, 08:54 PM
No wake!

"Barefooting: we never said it was easy, we just said it was cool"

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Keep that water flat!

barefoot
03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
flat water and flat wakes!

ski_king
03-08-2009, 03:04 PM
bump .

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Denny--I need a "both" category.

ski_king
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Denny--I need a "both" category.

Sorry Brian, I know you do both the no wake and the big wake, I do tyo, but I am about 90% no wake and 10 % big wake.

Maybe after hi spole is over in 3 days, I will do another one that has both.
My guess that one will have about the following results.
No wake: 30%
Big wake: 20%
Both: 50%

of course, if I am way off, I will come back and edit my predictions.

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
No, I just did a screen capture!;)

TMCNo1
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Just relaxing!

BriEOD
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Just relaxing!

You could have saved yourself some time and money if that is your philosophy Harold. A canoe sounds like it is right up your alley! :D

woody
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
After last year's lack of representation, I understand this will be the design for the 2009 CSM T-shirt. :D

I want one of those, and yes I voted big wake, I just want the skiers at our club to get on the water more than they do.

ski_king
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
bump again

MexicoBlue
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
This surprises me. We spend a large amount of our summer (and part of the spring and fall) at Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. And Mastercraft is by far the dominant brand of high-end watersports boat there. Yet we often go weeks at a time without seeing a single water skier out on the water. Love 'em, hate 'em, or somewhere in between, wakeboarders have completely taken over our lake (and our family!).

ski_king
03-09-2009, 08:43 AM
bump .

Jerseydave
03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Since the water goes from flat to not-so-flat during the day, here's our scenario:

1st run: Barefoot
2nd run: Wakeboard
3rd run: Wakeboard again
4th and beyond: Hydrofoil and/or wakesurf since the wallys are out by then.

I am however going to dust-off the slalom ski now and then this season. We have a couple others in our group that ski as well, so hopefully everyone will hit the water in one way or another.

IT'S ALL GOOD!

dog paw
03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
NO WAKE! (Unless its coming from a actual towboat) There thats PC....

There aint nothing any uglier that a wake from a deck boat or a cabin cruiser trying do do something it was not built for.

The speed demon in me is always looking for glass......

jixxxer
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
This surprises me. We spend a large amount of our summer (and part of the spring and fall) at Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. And Mastercraft is by far the dominant brand of high-end watersports boat there. Yet we often go weeks at a time without seeing a single water skier out on the water. Love 'em, hate 'em, or somewhere in between, wakeboarders have completely taken over our lake (and our family!).

Same here; Actually since Ive began wakeboarding about five years ago, I can count on one hand how many skiers Ive seen on the waterways in my area. I did go to bennetts for wakeboard lesson a few years ago and it was all skiers, and I was pretty impressed. I even got to ride in the ps197 when we pulled a "jumper" and that was amazing!!!

ski_king
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
bump again.......

Sodar
03-09-2009, 02:56 PM
The demographic of TT is 75% skiers... seems the poll is beginning to reflect that.

Best shirt ever!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=45163&stc=1&d=1236457781

sethro
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Remember, for those that aren't seeing the skiers on the water, there is a good chance they have found a private site to do their skiing. And of course they are doing this as to not disturb that prime wakeboarding water. :D

I get this question quite often from the riverfront property owners I know in my area..."Are you still skiing, I don't see much of you out here anymore?" Before the private site I'm privileged to use came along, I was out on the river every chance I could get. But I've now become spoiled and I ski the river basically early spring and late fall...or for barefooting :(

ski_king
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
77 votes, 56 to 21, lets get it up to 100

ski_king
03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
79 votes, 57 to 22, lets get it up to 100

ski_king
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
86 votes, 61 to 25, lets get it up to 100

flipper
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm trying, but it will only let me vote once!!!:D

Sodar
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Why is 100 so importante?

wakeX2wake
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM

easy math for percentages...?

brad
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Where can I get one of those shirts? NO WAKE!!

shepherd
03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Where can I get one of those shirts? NO WAKE!!

It's a D3 Skis shirt. Try them, or Performance Ski and Surf used to sell them too. I don't know if they still make them though.

Sodar speaking the Spanish.... es muy importante! :D

M-Funf
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Where's the UMP option??? :rolleyes:

YooperScott
03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
No wake!!!! Well I confess I am all setup with ballast bags and an extended pole now, but that's for after we're worn out from skiing and need a break. No 6 person toobs either. Or 1 or 2 or 3.....

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

ski_king
03-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Its not, just something to say when bumping the thread to the top.

ski_king
03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
94 votes, 66 to 28 so far

MCRambo1
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Big, meaty, and hard. Boot me up to the clouds! The reason you don't see many skiers nowadays is because most of them are in nursing homes! lol Sorry to tell you guys but it's a dying art.

wakeX2wake
03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Big, meaty, and hard. Boot me up to the clouds! The reason you don't see many skiers nowadays is because most of them are in nursing homes! lol Sorry to tell you guys but it's a dying art.

haha better watch out there... most of us wakeboarders will be lucky to be walking when we're as old as some of these cats... not exactly an orthopedic friendly sport...

jixxxer
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM

now thats funny; prolly true though.

shepherd
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Well, I guess when you find a watersport that combines the elements of ballet, figure skating, and bad MTV fashion, and it is so easy to learn initially, it will catch on with a certain large segment of the population. :rolleyes:

pkskier
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM

I would say that it is because us skiers are out on the early morning smooth water while you boarders are still sleeping.

ski_king
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Well this unscientific poll is now closed with 100 votes.
71% of those who voted prefer No Wake to Big Wake, which confirms what Sodar said about the demographics of this site being about 70% Slalom Skiers.

So, why is the MasterCrafts (and the other manufactures) sales so lopsided the other way?

I have a theory or two, but I will listen first.

Jerseydave
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
71% of those who voted prefer No Wake to Big Wake, which confirms what Sodar said about the demographics of this site being about 70% Slalom Skiers.

So, why is the MasterCrafts (and the other manufactures) sales so lopsided the other way?

Many dedicated slalom skiers here, where as there are hundreds (even thousands?) of Mastercraft v-drive owners that don't even know or care about this forum.
I can ride the skyski with or without a wake, so really doesn't matter to me! :D

Wake2wake
03-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I would say that it is because us skiers are out on the early morning smooth water while you boarders are still sleeping.

hey now me and all of my friends are out at dawn boarding before work atleast 2-3 a week before work. not all boarders fit your stereotype there bud!8p:D

and as far as why the boat sales are lopsided, I think its because the average person who is not a strict skier like many on this board, would prefer the open seating and layout of a v-drive boat. For those without a NEED for a direct drive prefer the v-drive. At least thats my thought behind it.

pkskier
03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey wake, I was not trying to upset you, at least I did not accuse you wakeboarders of being in a nursing home. Believe there is nothing wrong with getting a little extra sleep.

TMCNo1
03-12-2009, 10:38 AM

I think that most just want that OB/I/O Bayliner look with more quality and great performance!:rolleyes::D
Be honest, which looks the best!

wakeX2wake
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
heck most people that own MCs get them for the perceived quality and not so much for the watersports aspect... its nothing around here to see an x35 pulling a kid on a tub and it have no tower speakers and you won't see a board on the racks all day...

people that are watersports enthusiasts are in the VAST minority of those who are on the water/own boats... and tubing doesn't count

slalom take a long time to get good at... a lot longer if you're not especially athletic... and the equipment isn't cheap and a course is hard to maintain... ski clubs are formed to simplify some of this difficult equipment maintenance and to aid in instruction... wakeboarding is pretty simple... drop it in the water hook the rope up and pull... everything else the rider can pretty much figure out for himself where-as in my limited experience on a slalom course you can't always see what you're doing wrong or it may not come to you easily

JohnE
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM

It's an easy answer. Unless you are a pretty die hard slalom skier, there's no reason to want a DD.

The more challenging question is why is the majority of this board focused on slalom?

pkskier
03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I believe that the sales are lopsided the other way is because people are buying the X series and MariStars instead of the traditional runabout. I also think that the reason that the board leans the other way is because slalom is the roots of MC and there are a lot of us that bought MCs because of skiing and their reputation before the wakeboard boom started.

JohnE
03-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I believe that the sales are lopsided the other way is because people are buying the X series and MariStars instead of the traditional runabout. I also think that the reason that the board leans the other way is because slalom is the roots of MC and there are a lot of us that bought MCs because of skiing and their reputation before the wakeboard boom started.

In other words we are all old........:D

pkskier
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
But young at heart and mind

shepherd
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
All the kids are too busy playing with their facebook and twitter pages to spend any time on this forum.

pkskier
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
All the kids are too busy playing with their facebook and twitter pages to spend any time on this forum.

You are correct sir!

Wake2wake
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey wake, I was not trying to upset you, at least I did not accuse you wakeboarders of being in a nursing home. Believe there is nothing wrong with getting a little extra sleep.

no hard feelings man, I thought it was funny. and you are prolly right about 90% of boarders anyway!

flipper
03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
no hard feelings man, I thought it was funny. and you are prolly right about 90% of boarders anyway!

Quit being thin skinned....geez:D

pkskier
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I didn't want to make him mad, since I live in a nursing home and can't defend myself.

chudson
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
no wake.............

Kevin&Annie
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM

At the boat show last year we asked one of the dealers why they only brought wakeboard boats to the show and never kept 190s or 197s in the showroom. Their response was that slalom skiers tend to buy a boat and keep it for 20 years.

ski_king
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
At the boat show last year we asked one of the dealers why they only brought wakeboard boats to the show and never kept 190s or 197s in the showroom. Their response was that slalom skiers tend to buy a boat and keep it for 20 years.

Good point, I have had mine for 27 years now, but have my eye on a sweet 98.

pkskier
03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe us slalom skiers are not old we're just cheap.

wakeX2wake
03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Maybe us slalom skiers are not old we're just cheap.

honestly... i think slalom skiers get used to skiing a certain boat and don't like to change a lot b/c where wakeboat wakes all have a different personalities (even from x2 to x2 w/ the same people in the same spots) the sport of wakeboarding lends itself better to coping w/ and adjusting to a new wake... so-to-say that slalom skiing is a much more finely tuned sport from athlete to athlete... granted throwing a 1080 is probably comparably hard to running 41 off... but... i'd say a couple inches here and a few pounds there have a bigger impact on a slalom skier than a wakeboarder (although i know some will argue)... which attests to the fact the a slalom skier is more likely to find a boat he likes and keep it forever

and i'm drawing these personal conclusions based on the fact that i know wakeboarders (very advanced wakeboarders at that...) who have their preferences but will almost always load up in anything that will pull them... while a good number of the skiers i've ran across will only take a set behind a certain ride

pkskier
03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
honestly... i think slalom skiers get used to skiing a certain boat and don't like to change a lot b/c where wakeboat wakes all have a different personalities (even from x2 to x2 w/ the same people in the same spots) the sport of wakeboarding lends itself better to coping w/ and adjusting to a new wake... so-to-say that slalom skiing is a much more finely tuned sport from athlete to athlete... granted throwing a 1080 is probably comparably hard to running 41 off... but... i'd say a couple inches here and a few pounds there have a bigger impact on a slalom skier than a wakeboarder (although i know some will argue)... which attests to the fact the a slalom skier is more likely to find a boat he likes and keep it forever

and i'm drawing these personal conclusions based on the fact that i know wakeboarders (very advanced wakeboarders at that...) who have their preferences but will almost always load up in anything that will pull them... while a good number of the skiers i've ran across will only take a set behind a certain ride

I would have to agree. I ski behind other boats that have a slightly smaller wake than mine, but I am more comfortable behind my own boat. It is just not the wake that a skier gets comfortable with but also the pull of a boat.

pkskier
03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
There was a thread on here in the last couple of weeks that ask who is the oldest slalom skier on the board. A better question maybe who is the youngest slalom skier and who is the oldest wakeboarder?

André
03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
... but have my eye on a sweet 98.

This should last for a while...;)

ski_king
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I won't need any of that......
I can't say what it is, but it is a foot and a half shorther than my current boat.

Only problem is the current owner hasnt decided to order his new boat yet and may change his mind....

sethro
03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Ahhhh, the Ski Nautique 176...am I right?

ski_king
03-13-2009, 08:27 AM
no comment;)

André
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
no comment;)

Were they still making those in 98???:confused:

sethro
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Yep, made from 96-98. So what color is it ski_king?