PDA

View Full Version : Project halted

FHMan1905
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Went to start on one of my projects on my boat the other day and i am not sure how the wheel and steering assemblies comes off the dash on my S&S. And i didn't force anything because i dn't want to mess up the original steering assembly....I am planning on repainting the faux wood dash plates and new gauges. But keeping the monster airguides

Thanks
Lance

I am glad to be back to the forum after a very busy winter

dichdoc
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
from memory on my 84 which may or may not be close to yours. The center "cover" of the steering wheel pops off and exposes a nut (or nuts) remove nut(s) and remove wheel. Seems like there was a small circular plate that holds the wheel on. On the bottom of the chrome piece that bolts to the dash and supports the wheel is a recesseced alan bolt set screw. Loosen it and the steering mechanism can slide back or loosen the bolts that secure the chrome piece and pull it free. Sound close? TB

Jim@BAWS
03-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Yours proably has the original ATCO system...upgrade to Teleflex

Jim@BAWS

Dball
03-07-2009, 11:00 PM
FHMAN this is coming from left field what kind of tower do you have. She looks good I want to put on on my 86. Back to the subject under the center cap there is a nut. I haven't pulled mine yet but in the past pulling off the wheel in my chevy truck I needed a puller.

FHMan1905
03-08-2009, 06:24 PM
The tower was custom built by a guy in nashville who had retired as a fabricator from Mastercraft...My buddy who previously owned the boat had it built. I don't know how he found the guy but the guy did it in his garage.