PDA

View Full Version : Water pump impeller removal

mjdavis
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Any tips for removing an old water pump impeller (Johnson 812)? Is it supposed to be really hard to pull out?

prostar205
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I have struggled for literally hours trying to get the impeller out on my L-18. I've used flat-bladed screw drivers, paint can openers, pliers with little to no luck. I went to a Jabsco impeller puller (~$50) and it was out in 5 minutes. No more bloody knuckles.

Here's a pic.

CantRepeat
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I have struggled for literally hours trying to get the impeller out on my L-18. I've used flat-bladed screw drivers, paint can openers, pliers with little to no luck. I went to a Jabsco impeller puller (~$50) and it was out in 5 minutes. No more bloody knuckles.

Here's a pic.

Does it dig into the side of the impller or does it reach to the back?

prostar205
03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
It digs into the side of the impeller but does absolutely no damage to the impeller.

Worth every penny.

Got mine from Ebay.

ttu
03-06-2009, 06:39 PM
i've got one of those. they work great.

got mine from skidim.

Tim2ski
03-06-2009, 07:12 PM
A friend suggested that I put a little dishwashing soap in/around the impeller before I bump the enigne around just a bit. It comes off pretty easy with a pair of needle nose pliers after that. It also makes putting the new one on easier also.
You may want to take the coil wire or the safety leash off if you are worried that the engine will turn over.

Of course I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.

Tim2ski

MasterCraft25
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I was told and use dow corning 111 silicone grease. You don't want to use oils on neoprene. Swells them right up. I get mine at grainger. A thin coat and the impeller goes right in and I coat the splines and I think it makes them come out better to.