PDA

View Full Version : First Time out 245...No Gauges...

Norris
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
***In this posting of information My intent is only to resolve the problem and not to bash anyone. I'm in search of a cure for the problem and as soon as I resolve it I believe it will be one of the best boats built by anyone.***

Everything on this new 245 boat is solid and well built. No shortcuts anywhere.

The only problem is an odd guage problem on the dash.
Upon first starting the engine, all engine guages on the dash are dead which are RPM,Oil,Temp,Speed ect. There is a message which reads No Data. The Perfectpass does work. Trim guage works. Lights, radio all work.

Being the first time out we decided to proceed since the engine ran fine and all indications were a loose connection somewhere. After checking under and behind the dash for loose connections and checking with the dealer we moved forward with a day on the lake strongly believeing in a loose connection "somewhere".

Here is where the odd come in......As we proceeded out of the marina I put the trim tab down. As I pushed the trim tab button down and about halfway into this the Gauges began to work. I put the tab up again and off go the guages.

Does anyone have an idea what may be the problem? :confused:

Besides this problem, The boat is just about perfect.

jsonova99
05-16-2005, 10:06 AM
***In this posting of information My intent is only to resolve the problem and not to bash anyone. I'm in search of a cure for the problem and as soon as I resolve it I believe it will be one of the best boats built by anyone.***

Everything on this new 245 boat is solid and well built. No shortcuts anywhere.

The only problem is an odd guage problem on the dash.
Upon first starting the engine, all engine guages on the dash are dead which are RPM,Oil,Temp,Speed ect. There is a message which reads No Data. The Perfectpass does work. Trim guage works. Lights, radio all work.

Being the first time out we decided to proceed since the engine ran fine and all indications were a loose connection somewhere. After checking under and behind the dash for loose connections and checking with the dealer we moved forward with a day on the lake strongly believeing in a loose connection "somewhere".

Here is where the odd come in......As we proceeded out of the marina I put the trim tab down. As I pushed the trim tab button down and about halfway into this the Gauges began to work. I put the tab up again and off go the guages.

Does anyone have an idea what may be the problem? :confused:

Besides this problem, The boat is just about perfect.

sounds like something is shorting somewhere or there is a bad ground. I would make the dealer find it, they probably know better where to look.

Norris
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
sounds like something is shorting somewhere or there is a bad ground. I would make the dealer find it, they probably know better where to look.

Thats our thought on short/bad ground.
We are closer to Mastercraft in TN than the dealer.

Leroy
05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
If you could look around inside when moving the trim you might see a pinched wire or harness being stretched or something simple to fix.

I would at least register this problem with the dealer over phone or mail. Could be a recall item.

Norris
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
If you could look around inside when moving the trim you might see a pinched wire or harness being stretched or something simple to fix.

I would at least register this problem with the dealer over phone or mail. Could be a recall item.

All items you mention are being done.

Prostar19
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Under your dash is a black box with two harnesses plugged into it. I would check to be sure that these are plugged in properly. It may just not be all the way in.

Norris
05-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Under your dash is a black box with two harnesses plugged into it. I would check to be sure that these are plugged in properly. It may just not be all the way in.

That was the first connection we checked via the dealer. It was a good connection and pluged in properly.

Norris
05-16-2005, 01:54 PM
That was the first connection we checked via the dealer. It was a good connection and pluged in properly.

oops forgot to mention It did not solve the problem

WakePowell
05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Norris – I do not have a fix for your problem but on my X-45 the gauges take a second after the engine starts before they read. I also hear a noise in the dash right after the key is turned on. It sounds like the Perfect Pass is “winding” up. I know it is throttle by wire up it is a very distinct noise.

Norris
05-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Norris – I do not have a fix for your problem but on my X-45 the gauges take a second after the engine starts before they read. I also hear a noise in the dash right after the key is turned on. It sounds like the Perfect Pass is “winding” up. I know it is throttle by wire up it is a very distinct noise.

The "Pause" you mention is there but as soon as the sound you describe stops the digital display shows a message of "no data".

Question on your x45 - while running at a speed do you hear or feel that "winding" sound just very slightly around the helm or feel it in the wheel?
Hard to describe but almost sounds like metal saw blades.

WakePowell
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes, my boat has that metal “buzzing” noise. My dealer has looked at it and with the help of Mastercraft has determined that it is the “play” in the steering cable at the rudder. I understand that it is an issue on most 2005 Mastercrafts and there may be a recall to fix it.

Norris
05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes, my boat has that metal “buzzing” noise. My dealer has looked at it and with the help of Mastercraft has determined that it is the “play” in the steering cable at the rudder. I understand that it is an issue on most 2005 Mastercrafts and there may be a recall to fix it.

HMMMM. It's looking like a few of us are the lab rats on some of these items.

My 245 is about an hour away from the plant in TN but I'm personally
3 1/2 -4 hours from the boat itself. So hard for me to get away to take it to the plant when they are open.

Heck with the Rally coming up in a few weeks at Norris maybe they can open up a small shop on the lake to work on the bugs in a few of these things? :)

WakePowell
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Let me know what you find out about the steering noise and your gauges. I want to gather as much information as I can.

Which motor and prop do you have on your 245? The dealer installed a 13.7x19.5 OJ on mine with the L-18. At 4,000 RPM I am only going 29 MPH. I visited the dealer today and he gave me a 14.5x22 to try. Hopefully I can pick up some MPH and MPG with the larger pitch.

Ric
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I think the gages will do that for you if you just turn the key on but don't start the motor
that short grinding sound is all those gages re-zeroing themselves (for lack of a better word)
dont know about the winding sound at speed though????

Norris
05-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Let me know what you find out about the steering noise and your gauges. I want to gather as much information as I can.

Which motor and prop do you have on your 245? The dealer installed a 13.7x19.5 OJ on mine with the L-18. At 4,000 RPM I am only going 29 MPH. I visited the dealer today and he gave me a 14.5x22 to try. Hopefully I can pick up some MPH and MPG with the larger pitch.

Since I only used the boat once I'm just not sure on the prop size so I will need to look over this coming weekend.

Engine is MCX.

On speed and at what RPM is a good question. I'm still in the "break in" time according to the manual and with the gauges not working correctly and not sure when I did get them going if they were correct, I did not really get on the throttle too much. I'm just over 4.5 hours so I will get some numbers and post asap to compare.

It still blows my mind that you only had 29 MPH at 4000 RPM. That is insane!! I hope the new prop helps that for you. They are big boats but not that much.

Still no word back on mine but I believe we are headed in the right direction. Phone calls from the dealer to the Mastercraft plant have been made and we are waiting word.

I also do not know how many 245's are out there so I do not have much else to compare. I don't believe there are many right now. I do know that "Tweaks" were made to make it a better wake
(middle trim tab) but not sure on how that helps speed at this point. I hope to find out soon.

dezthecat
05-17-2005, 11:40 PM
similar problem on my 05 x star. Was told that it was a grounding problem common on x stars and x 45's. I was told that the repair consisted of properly grounding at the batteries.

Norris
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
similar problem on my 05 x star. Was told that it was a grounding problem common on x stars and x 45's. I was told that the repair consisted of properly grounding at the batteries.

Questions for dezthecat to clear thing up a bit....

1. Who told you that? Dealer or Mastercraft directly?
2. Was the repair done to your x5?
3. What work was done to fix it?

Thanks for the info :)

Norris
05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
No new news yet

Norris
06-01-2005, 09:50 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS Mastercraft comes thru again!!

On Friday May 27, while enjoying the scenery ;) and cold beverages in Fort Lauderdale Florida at the Elbow Room, I get a call from Mastercraft with the great news my problems are fixed!

Keep in mind now these guys went to my boat on the lake and thats service and pride in the company talking!

Beers on me at the Reunion! :toast: :toast: :toast:

Prostar19
06-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Awesome!!

Can't wait for those free beers at the reunion. :D