PDA

View Full Version : Another serial number to decode

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I have an understanding of most (I think) of the serial number of my 1977 Stars & Stripes, but am lost on a coulpe digits. It reads MBCBA119M77M-2 As I understand is comes out as follows:

MBC: MasterCraft Boat Company
BA1: Serial Number
19: 19 Skier
M: ?
77: Model year 1977
-2: ?

The older years all seemed to have a more detailed date of production that I don't see here. Any insight would be appreciated. I know that the M or the -2 DOES NOT mean that it was used at Cypress Gardens.

ProStar190Fan
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I have an understanding of most (I think) of the serial number of my 1977 Stars & Stripes, but am lost on a coulpe digits. It reads MBCBA119M77M-2 As I understand is comes out as follows:

MBC: MasterCraft Boat Company
BA1: Serial Number
19: 19 Skier
77: Model year 1977
-2: ?

The older years all seemed to have a more detailed date of production that I don't see here. Any insight would be appreciated. I know that the M or the -2 DOES NOT mean that it was used at Cypress Gardens.

You might have some luck contacting MC directly or your local dealer. They would be able to provide a definate answer.

Tom

BrianM
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
You might have some luck contacting MC directly

Tom

I think they laid off the person that answers the phone. :rolleyes:

bobx1
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Prior to 1984, the requirement/position was:

ABC-12345-DDDD.

ABC = Manufacturer
12345 = Serial #
DDDD = Date

See figure one in this link:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

You already know MBC is the manufacturer and the next 5 digits is your unique serial number. So, you are correct that "M77M" is date related. Note that the link says "the last four characters indicate the month and year the boat was built, and the model year. Prior to August 1, 1984, the manufacturer had the option of expressing this in the form of a model year designation."

The example in the link shows "M" but that does not correspond to the month chart listed. Wonder if "M-2" means June but why would they not do "K"?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Prior to 1984, the requirement/position was:

ABC-12345-DDDD.

ABC = Manufacturer
12345 = Serial #
DDDD = Date

See figure one in this link:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

You already know MBC is the manufacturer and the next 5 digits is your unique serial number. So, you are correct that "M77M" is date related. Note that the link says "the last four characters indicate the month and year the boat was built, and the model year. Prior to August 1, 1984, the manufacturer had the option of expressing this in the form of a model year designation."

The example in the link shows "M" but that does not correspond to the month chart listed. Wonder if "M-2" means June but why would they not do "K"?

The following are two different versions That I have found while searching through the old posts. It appears that perhaps standards were not always followed so closely in the early years.

Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot for the older boats I believe the serial number breaks down like this for example....MBCA0419M79GMBC denotes Master Craft BoatA04 denotes the serial number19 denotes the model ie 19 feetM79G dnotes the month and year of production

Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot According to my book, your number, MCB-40018-0773 breaks down this way....The MCB-MasterCraft Boat Co.400-denotes the serial number18-denotes the model number0773-denotes month and year of production, meaning July of 1973At least this is what it is for my 79. Hope this answers your questions.....