PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Plastic

Sodar
03-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Is there any comparable to Starboard. Starboard seems to be like too much for what I am looking for. I just want a plastic sheet to cover with carpet, so I do not need all the UV stability and textured surfaces.

Anyone know anything about plastics or a cheap place to find plastics? I have been looking through a plastics catalog we have here at work, but I do not know the difference between HDPE, LDPE, TFE, Nylon, Polystyrene, etc.

I am looking for a sheet to mount my amps to... thinking about 3/4" thick and a sheet approximately 24" x 36".

School me on plastics, paleeze! :D

Jesus_Freak
03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
...a cheap place to find plastics?

Do you mean besides Lowe's?:)

Sodar
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Do you mean besides Lowe's?:)

Yes.... I looked at Lowes and all I saw was Lexan and Plexiglass. Did I miss something or am I getting sarcasm from you!?!?! :D

Jesus_Freak
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes.... I looked at Lowes and all I saw was Lexan and Plexiglass. Did I miss something or am I getting sarcasm from you!?!?! :D

Yeah....just messing around with you. :)

Are these two flavors not adequate for your design needs, or you are just looking for something cheaper?

Sodar
03-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Just not thick enough. I need something that will be able to hold a 15lb amplifier at vertical.

Basically a half sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" startboard would do great, but I am not willing to pay $200 for a half sheet. There has got to be something better.

Jesus_Freak
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Just not thick enough. I need something that will be able to hold a 15lb amplifier at vertical.

Basically a half sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" startboard would do great, but I am not willing to pay $200 for a half sheet. There has got to be something better.

How does this compare to the price of 2 or 3 parallel sheets of the Lexan or Plexiglass?

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Is there any comparable to Starboard. Starboard seems to be like too much for what I am looking for. I just want a plastic sheet to cover with carpet, so I do not need all the UV stability and textured surfaces.

Anyone know anything about plastics or a cheap place to find plastics? I have been looking through a plastics catalog we have here at work, but I do not know the difference between HDPE, LDPE, TFE, Nylon, Polystyrene, etc.

I am looking for a sheet to mount my amps to... thinking about 3/4" thick and a sheet approximately 24" x 36".

School me on plastics, paleeze! :D

I can help a little but not much for technicallities, we don't deal with the sheet side of plastic at my work...
LDPE... is more like a sandwich bag or trash liner, probably not ideal in this case. Melts easier
HDPE... is like a gas can, may be the best fit for your application. Chemical resistant
Nylon is really tough stuff, and probably has the highest of the heat stability,but is probably most $.
Polystyrene I believe is a lot like styrofoam, maybe not, I am foggy on that one.

These are just some quick examples I give when someone calls our biz.

What is the purpose of the plasic(amp enclosure with lights)? Why not just marine Plywood? Are you looking to have it see through?

Can try www.usplastic.com

Justin

Sodar
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Justin! US Plastic is the catalog I am looking through!

I want to stay away from plywood, because there is not an ounce of wood anywhere else in the boat, I would like to keep it that way.

I do not want it see through. It will just be screwed to the wall of the observer's storage and then the amps will be screwed to that. Basically it will just be a backing panel.

Hollywood
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
3/4" 24x36 HDPE ~$75

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8619k486/=udnnf

Monte
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Sodar, you may try calling one of your local car audio retailers/ installers. They may have or be able to tell you where to find what you are looking for.

Sodar
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
3/4" 24x36 HDPE ~$75

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8619k486/=udnnf

Awesome. I wish I could get my hands on it to see what I am buying. Is HDPE pretty ridid?

flipper
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Did you try Tap Plastics?

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Did you try Tap Plastics?

No, but I just found a place called Plastic Depot that is just like Tap. I am going to go up there on Saturday and see what I can find.

KBryant2007
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Do you have a picture of what the end result looks like? I am also about to mount an amp, and would like for it to look sharp.

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you have a picture of what the end result looks like? I am also about to mount an amp, and would like for it to look sharp.

Sure do. The picture is in my brain, though. Anyone know what USB cable I can use to download it??? :confused:

KBryant2007
03-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Where do you plan on mounting it? Will you attach the amp to the plastic, or sandwich the amp between two sheets? How will you attach the plastic to the boat? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hollywood
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Polypropylene, cheaper ~$61

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8742k539/=ue7ne

I bought both LDPE and Polypropylene from McMaster in the past, wish I could remember which was which! I built some barefoot trailers out of one of them, I'll be able to check next week if you can wait.

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Awesome. I wish I could get my hands on it to see what I am buying. Is HDPE pretty ridid?

yes HDPE is rigid. I would say it will do the job, if memory serves me correct.(depending on denisities, ect...) melt sofening point on something like that is around 290F. I don't see the heat being an issue, may want to keep your eye on it to ensure it does not deform.

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Where do you plan on mounting it? Will you attach the amp to the plastic, or sandwich the amp between two sheets? How will you attach the plastic to the boat? Inquiring minds want to know.

I plan on mounting it on the port side of the observer's storage locker.

Yes, the amps will be attached directly to the plastic.

I will be attaching the plastic to the boat with several screws and possibly a few added blocks that will be epoxied to the front of the storage area, the top of the storage area and the back of the storage area fro extra support. Rather than pulling the carpet back, I will be using spacers to keep the panel about 1-1/2" away from the "wall", to allow for a space to run all my cables behind, through the panel and to the amps.

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Polypropylene, cheaper ~$61

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8742k539/=ue7ne

I bought both LDPE and Polypropylene from McMaster in the past, wish I could remember which was which! I built some barefoot trailers out of one of them, I'll be able to check next week if you can wait.

Thanks Again! Let me know, if you remember to check it out.

TMCNo1
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Go to any of your larger outdoor advertizing/sign/billboard facilities in your area that make large signs for the area. They have a closed cell (won't hold water) rigid foam, lightweight/strong, various colors, smooth both sides that they use for standoff letters and sandblasted signs rather than using wood. This stuff can be cut, painted, glued, carpeted and is of varying thicknesses and they will be glad to school you on what will work best.

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
The Master has spoken!

TMCNo1
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I knew I could find it, http://www.spartech.com/plastics/sign_sheet.html, they carry everything!

FrankSchwab
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
IIRC, HDPE is what white plastic kitchen cutting boards are made of. It's rigid and pretty dang strong, even in the 3/8" to 1/2" thicknesses used in the kitchen. Woodworkers use it for constructing jigs, etc., because it's slick, rigid, cheap and dimensionally stable.

I've got to imagine it would work well for your requirement at significantly less than 3/4" thick, especially if you through-bolt the amp rather than just sticking a wood screw into the material.

/frank

JimN
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
IIRC, HDPE is what white plastic kitchen cutting boards are made of. It's rigid and pretty dang strong, even in the 3/8" to 1/2" thicknesses used in the kitchen. Woodworkers use it for constructing jigs, etc., because it's slick, rigid, cheap and dimensionally stable.

I've got to imagine it would work well for your requirement at significantly less than 3/4" thick, especially if you through-bolt the amp rather than just sticking a wood screw into the material.

/frank

HDPE "grows" when it's in a high temperature environment. The fence on my table saw has that for the faces and if it's really hot, you can sight down the length and see the waviness.

If you know a cabinetmaker who works with Corian or Wilsonart's Gibralter, ask for a drop from cutting out for a kitchen sink. Heavier, yes. Needs carbide to cut it, yes. Looks way cooler, absolutely.

Hollywood
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Through-bolt sounds like a royal PITA, there are specific screws for plastic. Perhaps a combination of the two? I agree that 1/2" thickness would be sufficient, and cheaper. HDPE is also more prone to cracking if you do not drill the proper size pilot hole. Most cutting boards you'll find are of the HDPE variety. Come to think of it, I have 1 barefoot trainer made of what I believe is HDPE, the other one sank. I'm thinking 1/2" Polypropylene would do the job.

You do plan on wrapping the board in carpet right?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-forming-screws/=ufsie

Polyethylene - soda pop bottle
Polypropylene - water bottle (opaque, squeezeable)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/kfleisch/amprack.jpg

JimN
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Through-bolt sounds like a royal PITA, there are specific screws for plastic. I agree that 1/2" thickness would be sufficient, and cheaper. HDPE is also more prone to cracking if you do not drill the proper size pilot hole. Most cutting boards you'll find are of the HDPE variety. Come to think of it, I have 1 barefoot trainer made of what I believe is HDPE, the other one sank. I'm thinking 1/2" Polypropylene would do the job.

You do plan on wrapping the board in carpet right?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-forming-screws/=ufsie

Polyethylene - soda pop bottle
Polypropylene - water bottle (opaque, squeezeable)

I think soda bottles are polycarbonate. Polyethylene is a lot softer. Come to think of it, my saw fence has PE faces, not HDPE, which would probably work better.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
If you are working with 1/2" thick stock, couldn't you thread the hole and use some blue loc-tite on the stainless machine screw to secure the amp? Less work than thru-bolting.

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
:D[QUOTE=FrankSchwab;578552]IIRC, HDPE is what white plastic kitchen cutting boards are made of. It's rigid and pretty dang strong, even in the 3/8" to 1/2" thicknesses used in the kitchen. Woodworkers use it for constructing jigs, etc., because it's slick, rigid, cheap and dimensionally stable.]

Its just been brought to my attention we have a piece similar to what is described above...I am going to check for you now, if so it is 8-9 yrs old, but rock bottom priced.... :D:D

JohnE
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Cam,

I'd use Azak (sp) or the equivalent. That's the pvc "wood" trim that is used on so many houses these days. You can edge glue a few together to get what you want. You might use some flat stock to screw them together if you are going to carpet over it. Typically you could find scraps of 1x10, 1x12 etc. on a lot of home sites and get it for free. It will expand a bit with temp change, but not enough imo to present a problem for what you are doing.

I can get you some scraps, but I imagine shipping cross country wouldn't be cheap. I'll send some if you want to do it and can't find it anywhere. You don't want to buy it, it comes in 18' lengths and is pricey.

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
:D[QUOTE=FrankSchwab;578552]IIRC, HDPE is what white plastic kitchen cutting boards are made of. It's rigid and pretty dang strong, even in the 3/8" to 1/2" thicknesses used in the kitchen. Woodworkers use it for constructing jigs, etc., because it's slick, rigid, cheap and dimensionally stable.]

Its just been brought to my attention we have a piece similar to what is described above...I am going to check for you now, if so it is 8-9 yrs old, but rock bottom priced.... :D:D

Piece found, vary similar to cutting board material; called Sanalite...is 3/4" thick, and measures exactly 24 x 48. You want it???

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I think soda bottles are polycarbonate. Polyethylene is a lot softer. Come to think of it, my saw fence has PE faces, not HDPE, which would probably work better.
Soda/water bottles are actually made with something called PET, pretty exspensive but usually crystal clear.

Polycarbonate is used in high impact protection(sports glasses, bullet proof glass ect.

Sorry to jump on you, but I couldn't resist contributing to the conversation this time!!8p:D:D

Sodar
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=justinlkgb;578586]:D

Piece found, vary similar to cutting board material; called Sanalite...is 3/4" thick, and measures exactly 24 x 48. You want it???

You talking to me?

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=justinlkgb;578590]

You talking to me?

yesss sir I am... My birthday is in May;);)

Sodar
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
yesss sir I am... My birthday is in May;);)

That's nice... mine was just in Feb.

PM at you.

Hollywood
03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Soda/water bottles are actually made with something called PET,

Polycarbonate is used in high impact protection(sports glasses, bullet proof glass ect.

PET = PolyEthylene Terephthalate

The old Nalgene bottles are Polycarbonates

All this talk and he gets a scrap for free...:D

bobx1
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
This is a pretty good link with descriptions and applications on sheet plastics. A few of these locations are customers of mine.

http://www.regal-plastics.com/sheets.html

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=justinlkgb;578598]

That's nice... mine was just in Feb.

PM at you.

happy belated then...:D:D

justinlkgb
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
PET = PolyEthylene Terephthalate

The old Nalgene bottles are Polycarbonates

All this talk and he gets a scrap for free...:D

What are Nalgene Bottles???:confused::D:D

TMCNo1
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
What are Nalgene Bottles???:confused::D

Bottles that Gene makes!:rolleyes::D

Muttley
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
There's a product that would be perfect for you. It's under the brand names of Intecel or Sintra. It's expanded PVC plastic available in various thicknesses up to over 1" thick.

A sign shop with a computer router that cuts 3D lettering could hook you up. They might be able to seel you an off cut at a reasonable price.

Jesus_Freak
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
PET = PolyEthylene Terephthalate...

Yes, and the only reason it is stamped on the bottle as "PETE" is to avoid a potential conflict with "PET" dairy products branding.

Cameron, glad you found what you were looking for!

Hollywood
03-04-2010, 05:02 PM

So I'm exactly 1 year and 1 day after this ^^ post. So much for "next week".

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/kfleisch/Jobe%20jumpers/IMG_0022.jpg

HDPE cutting board on the left. The screw holes are all spider cracked.

LDPE (I think) on the right. Much softer, will not crack but I suppose you could strip out the screw holes if you wanted. I bought it more than 2 years ago so my McMaster history won't go back far enough to help me find out what exactly it is.

Thrall
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Good spacers for mounting your amp board are 3/4" sq aluminum tubing from Home Depot. I used this to mount my amps, but without the board. Each one was individually mounted. Allowed me to use some "unusable" space where the side panel was only 1 layer thick. I was able to screw the tubing securely to teh built up area and cantilever it out onto the single layer area to attach the amp. Worked well for hiding wires and as an air gap behind the amps.

Witness140
03-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I asked Norm what all the black plastic panels were in the new MC boats, he said black HDPE. Was that correct? For example, in the X2 - the engine compartment panels.

Sodar
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I went to the plastic shop carrying my the kick panel out of the 197 and he said it was Starboard... FWIW.

Hollywood
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
"King StarBoardŽST is a special scratch resistant, environmentally stabilized, high
density polyethylene sheet that outperforms wood products in commercial and
outdoor environments."

For any non-structural applications you could probably get away with a softer, cheaper material.

FrankSchwab
03-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I just built a go-kart for the kids, using two 350-watt, 24V electric scooter motors.

Both motors are attached to the same piece of 1/2" thick cutting board (HDPE), which looked remarkably like this (http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-11-25-Cutting-Board/dp/B0001UJVTK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1267761992&sr=1-9).

After about 20 hours of abuse, bouncing over curbs, running on rough streets, etc. there's not a single sign of failure or fatigue in the material. For mounting amps, I can't imagine a better material.

And small amounts are pretty cheap and readily available.

/frank

Witness140
03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
I love the white piece from under my bow filler cushion. I use it during the winter as a cutting board in the kitchen.

:)

brucemac
03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
hey i didn't finish reading through all this, but just one word of advice in case you do not know, some of those plastic materials can not be secured using glues/cements/epoxy. they must be screwed down.