PDA

View Full Version : Lost at sea...

bigmac
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
As I read about the 4 guys whose boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm curious...

They were apparently anchored 40 miles off shore in a single-engine 21 foot boat. I know very little about off-shore boating. I've always envisioned that if I were doing that, I'd do it in a boat that is maybe a little more suitable for managing the occasional squall, and would have a redundant array of rescue devices such as flares, radio, EPIRB, etc. This situation with the 3 missing guys seems to me to have been the result of unpreparedness, an unwise boating plan...but I don't really know. For those of you who are off-shore boaters, is this typical? Did they do it right and just get caught in an unlucky set of circumstances? Or were they victims of their own inadequate planning?

JimN
03-03-2009, 09:16 AM
As I read about the 4 guys whose boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm curious...

They were apparently anchored 40 miles off shore in a single-engine 21 foot boat. I know very little about off-shore boating. I've always envisioned that if I were doing that, I'd do it in a boat that is maybe a little more suitable for managing the occasional squall, and would have a redundant array of rescue devices such as flares, radio, EPIRB, etc. This situation with the 3 missing guys seems to me to have been the result of unpreparedness, an unwise boating plan...but I don't really know. For those of you who are off-shore boaters, is this typical? Did they do it right and just get caught in an unlucky set of circumstances? Or were they victims of their own inadequate planning?

I wouldn't go 40 miles out on one of the Great Lakes in a 21' boat.

Mag_Red
03-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't go 40 miles out on one of the Great Lakes in a 21' boat.I agree! For God's sake he could have afforded a larger boat playing in the NFL

shepherd
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

Yes! :D

I'm not really an offshore boater, but I've been 50+ miles out on a single-engine 25' boat owned by a guy who is. And I've been 10-15 miles out on my 17' skiff several times. Always on (relatively) calm days. They said the water was calm when they left, but perhaps they should have checked the forecast, which I'm sure would have told them things would get nasty. If the forecast is for seas bigger than 2-3 feet, I won't go out there.

Also, if you're anchored in a small boat and the weather kicks up, the best thing to do IMO would be to start up the boat and pull up the anchor so you can drive and maneuver to keep your boat from getting swamped. Maybe they couldn't get their engine started, in which case staying anchored might be best. Flares and radio probably wouldn't help if your boat is unexpectedly capsized, unless you had them in your hand or in a floating wateproof package.

Bottom line: Treat an offshore trip in a small boat just like a flight in your airplane. Double check to make sure all your equipment is working and check the weather forecast before departure.

shepherd
03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Also, as the sole survivor -- and plenty of others before him -- can attest, if your boat flips over, stay with it because it probably won't sink entirely.

Dball
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
They should of had a radio if they were going out that far. Report said they left when it was calm and the sea's picked up. They shouldn't have been anchored either.

BrianM
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
People around here are always going out that far in boat like that. They are out fishing the rigs. As said above though that requires calm days and a vigilant watch of the weather.

JimN
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
They make hand-held emergency radios with long battery life, and they're not very expensive. They obviously weren't wearing their PFDs, either. Probably safely stowed away, too.

Sodar
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
They make hand-held emergency radios with long battery life, and they're not very expensive. They obviously weren't wearing their PFDs, either. Probably safely stowed away, too.

Even if they had a waterproof VHF with long battery life, the range on those is not very good. Perhaps good enough to hail a vessel nearby, but not nearly enough to reach shore.

The news report I read said that all 4 of them had PFDs on. :confused:

Either way, if you are taking a 21'er out that far you need to be prepared and have a good weather window.

ttu
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
the one they rescued yesterday said all 4 had their life jackets on. why the other 3 didn't stay with the boat baffles me.

Jim@BAWS
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the 3 who are still missing. The one youg man lives less than a mile from Bay Area WaterSports in Lake Talia Estates. A local Captain here in Land O Lakes had them out fishing a few days before this incident

My concern was the same, to small of a boat for these conditions. The front actually came though here Late Sat PM after they where already out in Gulf. A 50 mile trek out into the Gulf means there where going to the MIDDLE GROUNDS to go fishing. Way to far in a 21 foot boat. Would anyone take there 205 out that far? I think not. I have been out 20 miles when you could barefoot out there. Other times 5-7. It ain't fun at that point

We hope for good news today that the other three are rescued.

Jim@BAW

JimN
03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
the one they rescued yesterday said all 4 had their life jackets on. why the other 3 didn't stay with the boat baffles me.

If they had their PFDs on and they were the right size, they would be floating. They haven't even found empty PFDs out there, so I have my doubts and you know a PFD won't sink if nobody is wearing it unless it's made of materials that can absorb water.

shepherd
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Would anyone take there 205 out that far?

Hell no! I don't know about the 205, but my 197 can get swamped by its own wake! But my 17' skiff bobs on the water like a cork and is supposedly unsinkable. I've had it in 5' - 6' waves in the Pass and never felt threatened. It's more about the weather than the size of the boat. Like you said, I've seen it calm enough for a canoe several miles offshore.

shepherd
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
If they had their PFDs on and they were the right size, they would be floating. They haven't even found empty PFDs out there, so I have my doubts and you know a PFD won't sink if nobody is wearing it unless it's made of materials that can absorb water.

Just because they haven't been found yet doesn't mean they aren't still floating out there. If they were wearing PFDs, I wonder if that made it difficult for them to swim back to the boat after it capsized. Those cheap orange $5 PFDs (if that's what they had) aren't easy to swim in.

bigmac
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Not sure what the water temps are in the Middle Grounds, but must be, what? 60's?

Hypothermia is a big issue right about now.

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
68 was the water, Way to small to go out that far and the weather was heading their way before they even left. The rescued guy had the crappy orange thing on. I think after this long Mac is right about hyperthermia. I watch the weather before we head out on our lake, a strong summer fast moving thunderstorm can kill you on a lake in Texas.

jraben8
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
You are correct. I've been in my SportStar when Texoma unexpectedly became 4'-6'. At that point I imagined about 100,000,000 other place I wanted to be... Good thing we could go hide until the wind layed at dusk.

JohnE
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a buddy who tuna fishes up here. Typically 30-40 miles offshore. We were discussing it yesterday. No way he'd go out without the epirbs. Also carries a liferaft and survival suits. He's got a 28' 16,000 lb boat. Last 2 years at the annual shark tournament in July the seas were 12. He says you have to know how to drive the boat when it's like that. I haven't been that far out with him but am going this summer. Only in a calm forcast though.

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Its surprising how fast it can happen, we had to run for the shore on Choke canyon bass fishing once. After we got there it was no picnic either.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I have been out on Lake Michigan on a 37' boat and 12' seas were the point where it went from fun to time to pay attention. No way would I want to be there in a 21 footer.

wakeX2wake
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
while the mistakes in logic here are evident i can't imagine the hell these three men are going through bobbing in the middle of the ocean... granted it may not be the middle but yesterday it got a lot bigger for those three men...

ever see the movie open water? i can't imagine being alone in the middle of the ocean... personally one of my worst nightmares

ttu
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
that is a fear of mine also.

just read over on msn that they are going to suspend the search after light fall today.

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Shark bait at this point.

JimN
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Looks like they called off the search.

bigmac
03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Coast Guard found a floating cooler and an empty life jacket about 16 miles from the capsized boat. Does sound like hypothermia - confusion, swim from the boat, later remove life jacket etc etc. Or sharks, I suppose.

I just think it's tragic.

TheOneandOnly
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I couldnt imagine being a family member knowing they could possibly be alive or clinging on but they call off the search... Then again not sure how long you could hang on in those waters...

Man still unreal to take that small of a boat out especially NFL millionars?

JohnE
03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
We can second guess all day long, but at this point it is just tragic. My heart goies out to the families.

TX.X-30 fan
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
We can second guess all day long, but at this point it is just tragic. My heart goies out to the families.

X2...........

funk
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
South Florida player Nick Schuyler told investigators that all four of the friends on a fishing excursion were initially wearing life vests and clinging to the 21-foot boat belonging to Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper.

But two to four hours after the boat capsized, one of the NFL players removed his life jacket and let himself be swept out to sea, the St. Petersburg Times reported. A few hours later, the other one followed suit.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will Bleakley, 25, is also still missing.

Click here for photos.

After Cooper, 26, and Corey Smith, 29, were carried away, Bleakley and Schuyler hung on until morning but then Bleakley decided to try to swim to get help when he thought he saw a distant light, the paper said.

He, too, took his life vest off, 24-year-old Schuyler told the families.

"I think he was delusional to think he could swim someplace," the Times quoted Bleakley as saying.

Cooper's cousin Ray Sanchez said the Coast Guard recounted a similar story to him, but doesn't know whether it's true. Schuyler suffered from hypothermia and weakness, which could have affected his memory and thinking.

"We're not 100 percent sure where his head was at," Sanchez told the paper. "He'd been through a lot."

Obviously, hypothermia probably played into some of this judgement. You can question the logic but around here, socal, many guys go out to the islands of same distance in boats that size. These boats aren't 21ft ski boats, they are deep V fishing boats that are made for rough waters. The fact that it was that rough and they were still anchored is highly questionable, a lot safer under power and manuevering into the swells.

Prayers are with the friends and family!

atlfootr
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Just heard that the total cost from the Coast Guard alone searching for the remaining NFL players, came to 1.6 Million Dollars.
IMO, the players families should contribute partly to the search.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article982647.ece

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00059/a4s_rescue031009_59642c.jpg

JohnE
03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Just heard that the total cost from the Coast Guard alone searching for the remaining NFL players, came to 1.6 Million Dollars.
]

Gotta tell ya, you've made some ridiculous statements here, but that one might take the ultimate prize.:confused::mad:

SkiDog
03-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Gotta tell ya, you've made some ridiculous statements here, but that one might take the ultimate prize.:confused::mad:

He's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D::D

JohnE
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
He's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D::D

Yeah, but the fog hasn't lifted.:D

bigmac
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM

That's a topic that has come up a lot within federal agencies that do SAR work, and it has always been answered with a big NO!

Some non-Federal entities do charge the rescuees in cases where gross negligence contributed to the need for rescue, but that's a huge can of worms, and is simply too vague to be universally fair. In this case of the Florida boaters, they may have made some questionable choices, but it would be hard to make a case for gross negligence. Accidents happen. This kind of stuff is what we pay our taxes for.

Chief
03-10-2009, 09:32 AM

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00059/a4s_rescue031009_59642c.jpg
I thought Mods were suppose to be politically correct, warm and sensitive? I guess I need to put away some money in case I get lost and the Coast Guard has to try and find me. Can I get a insurance clause for that? If I can have it for fuel spills, how about rescuing my a%% when something bad happens.

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM

I'll supply the trophy!

Jim@BAWS
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=atlfootr;579891]Just heard that the total cost from the Coast Guard alone searching for the remaining NFL players, came to 1.6 Million Dollars.

Hey Mr Sensativity...give us a break here. Did an ameoba crawl up your nose
because of LOW LAKE LEVELS on Lake Daisy and fry your brain. C'mon give us a break
Maybe some bad judgment on there part. They did go out before the front came through.

Have another shot of JD and go back to bed.

SkiDog
03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=atlfootr;579891]Just heard that the total cost from the Coast Guard alone searching for the remaining NFL players, came to 1.6 Million Dollars.

Hey Mr Sensativity...give us a break here. Did an ameoba crawl up your nose
because of LOW LAKE LEVELS on Lake Daisy and fry your brain. C'mon give us a break
Maybe some bad judgment on there part. They did go out before the front came through.

Have another shot of JD and go back to bed.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,................................................ ..............

Sodar
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM

SWEET BABY, NEWBORN BABY JESUS! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Atlfootr, how many Mickeys did you have last night???

SkiDog
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM

4,3,2,........1........POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Man, you've gone and done it! Your tube/inflatable toy will disappear from the Marketplace now!

Sodar
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Man, you've gone and done it! Your tube/inflatable toy will disappear from the Marketplace now!

I will give it a bump just for good measure. :D

shepherd
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks again guys! Y'all crack me up! 8p

And I can't say it any better than bigmac, so I won't try.

Maristar210
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Cameron,

I sent that to you in confidence. You're not supposed to post it.

Aw ****, who am I kidding? I love that you posted it....

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Just imagine how much money was spent trying to rescue the SS Minnow, with Gilligan and all the crew stranded on that island all those years!:rolleyes::D

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
This reminds me of three members here on Team Talk!
Anybody want to guess?

Sodar
03-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Professor- BigMac

Captain- Steve-ooooo

Gilligan- UMP

flipper
03-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Humpee was on there too!!!! Or was that BB

M-Funf
03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a close friend who had a 26' boat with twin OB's. It was a very capable boat. One day, he went out past the GG Bridge fishing with a friend and his two kids (4 and 7 years old). It was a calm day, but outside the gate, things can change quick.

A rogue wave capsized the boat nearly two miles off shore. They saw it coming, but didn't have time to prepare. Fortunately, everyone on board was wearing a vest.

There were no other boats around, so my friend (who, by the way, is a triathlete), started swimming. There were several times during his swim that he nearly gave up, but kept going knowing that his kids would probably die if he didn't make it.

Fortunately, somebody onshore saw him swimming, called 9-1-1, and the coasties went out and got them.

I guess what I'm saying is that we'll never know what happened, but they surely could have been well prepared, and very capable, but things can change quickly. The ocean is a dangerous place.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Professor- BigMac

Captain- Steve-ooooo

Gilligan- UMP

I dont know bout the professor or Gilligan, but Steve is certainly the fat one. 8p

and I am not bunking with him. I want to bunk with Ginger and Mary Ann. heck, Mrs. Howell too, for that matter. :banana:

03-10-2009, 11:55 AM
The ocean is a dangerous place.

For real ? ?

M-Funf
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
For real ? ?

Listen up, Yooper...:rant: Oh never mind... :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Professor- BigMac

Captain- Steve-ooooo

Gilligan- UMP

I was thinking more in the line of Rob, the dealer in L-O-L and JimN!:rolleyes:

I know, I know, but JimN as the professor is dead on!

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
For real ? ?
Freal, man!:D

KnoxX2
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Ok Mr. Howell!!!!!!!!!!!

TMCNo1
03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok Mr. Howell!!!!!!!!!!!

You got me, I love it and so did Mrs. Howell!:rolleyes::D

Roonie's
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I remember reading on wakeworld of a guy who jet skied from Florida to the Bahamas to see if he could do it. He went there and back no problem..... calm day no waves. He was going to try it in his wakeboard boat next. I am too lazy to look up the link or do the search. Not something I would do thats for sure.

Jim@BAWS
03-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Hey Harold...don't be afraid to use my name

IT'S JIM @ BAY AREA WATERSPORTS...isn't that easy

flipper
03-10-2009, 01:33 PM
J@BAW is easier

Maristar210
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
J@BAW is easier

JIMMERBAWS

Maristar210
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I used to Salmon fish lake Michigan two weekends a month or so.

Those of us in 27 footers learned when things start to get ****ty you pull lines and you go now. The smell in the air of an approaching storm is usually enough for me. I have burned a lot of gas outrunning a storm and somehow I always felt like we were cheating death. Funny thing was entering the channel was like cars trying to get out of a baseball game... boats lined right up bow to stern going "just a touch" faster than no wake.

My uncle Stanley died while Perch fishing Lake Michigan only a couple hundred feet from shore many years ago. His boat capsized and rip currents made sure he did not make it in. When his day started the lake was glass. By 1pm he was gone. Of course uncle Stanley was probably a little trashed and that 14 alumacraft had no business out there ever but he didn't care. The call of the wild the lure of the fish as he used to say.

shepherd
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I remember reading on wakeworld of a guy who jet skied from Florida to the Bahamas to see if he could do it. He went there and back no problem..... calm day no waves. He was going to try it in his wakeboard boat next. I am too lazy to look up the link or do the search. Not something I would do thats for sure.

I think I read an article or saw a video a little while back about some guys who took an X-80 from FL to the Bahamas. Some kind of MC promo bit I think.

Maybe it was just the Keys... http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article/Reviews/Open-Water----MasterCrafts-X-80-STS

03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I think I read an article or saw a video a little while back about some guys who took an X-80 from FL to the Bahamas. Some kind of MC promo bit I think.

For real ???

shepherd
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
For real ???

I saw it on the internet. It must be real.

Shouldn't you be out buying a new slalom course or something? Congrats on getting the permit btw...

03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks Shep.

this permit process was involved. I think more so than most peeps go thru. no local boards, committees, city councils, home owner organizations, state DNR agencies govern them here. this baby is going to be on Federal waters, so the permit is from the U.S. coast gaurd. Interesting process. Took us a year to get it approved. Just got it yesterday.

SkiDog
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Shep.

this permit process was involved. I think more so than most peeps go thru. no local boards, committees, city councils, home owner organizations, state DNR agencies govern them here. this baby is going to be on Federal waters, so the permit is from the U.S. coast gaurd. Interesting process. Took us a year to get it approved. Just got it yesterday.

Hey gay boy, do YOU even know how to run a slalom course?:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Footin
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
A year to get it? For the two weeks a year you can use it?

trickskier
03-10-2009, 09:45 PM
A year to get it? For the two weeks a year you can use it?

I didn't realize his season was that long?!?!

Footin
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I didn't realize his season was that long?!?!

He has a "minute" meter on his boat.

shepherd
03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Actually, it would probably be easy to set up the course now. Just drag it out on the ice, lay it out, drill holes where the buoys need to go, and drop them in. When the ice thaws in a couple months, he'll be good to go! :D

atlfootr
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
It's a tragic situation, no matter who foots the bill.
And you guys are entitled to your opinions as I to mine.

Therefore, I'll remind everyone that I was the only person who asked for prayers for these guys and their families.

03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
atlfootr (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1049)
Missing Boaters
Don't forget to pray for the missing (Clearwater, FL) boaters and their families.

That's all I'm going to say about this.

Chief
03-11-2009, 01:38 AM

Therefore, I'll remind everyone that I was the only person who asked for prayers for these guys and their families.

Missing Boaters
Don't forget to pray for the missing (Clearwater, FL) boaters and their families.

When you say something completely dumb, it wipes the nice things. I'm sure your old enough to know that.

TMCNo1
03-11-2009, 06:43 AM
When you say something completely dumb, it wipes the nice things. I'm sure your old enough to know that.

Yea, it's like 5 attaboys are wiped out by one ahschitt!:rolleyes::D

JohnE
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM

Missing Boaters

Or you could just say that you've reconsidered yesterday's comment............

We've all changed our thoughts on a topic at one time or another.:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
We've all changed our thoughts on a topic at one time or another. :rolleyes:

You got that right!
I used to think a massage parlor with a Drive-In window was a good idea, but then again, if it was snowing or raining, I'd get all that crap inside the car.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
footr you suffer from that foot in mouth disease! You just can't help saying something stupid.

Where did you go for a few days here while back after the dentist thread? Why don't you go back there?

TMCNo1
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
footr you suffer from that foot in mouth disease! You just can't help saying something stupid.

Where did you go for a few days here while back after the dentist thread? Why don't you go back there?

Thanks VOLFAN, I needed that picture!:uglyhammeEveryone need to capture that one for future use!

JohnE
03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll supply the trophy!

No this is the award:45255

03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey, I own that lamp. its a major award.

Has anyone asked Gene about this rescue bill? what does he say about it.

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I have actually been to the house that movie was taped at.

TMCNo1
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I have actually been to the house that movie was taped at.

Freal?:rolleyes::D

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
FOR REAL... The house is located in Cleveland, OH and you can tour the house they also have a museum across the street and a gift shop too. It is pretty cool seeing the house in person. I will try to find the pictures. Part of the movie was also shot in Toronto

TMCNo1
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
FOR REAL... The house is located in Cleveland, OH and you can tour the house they also have a museum across the street and a gift shop too. It is pretty cool seeing the house in person. I will try to find the pictures. Part of the movie was also shot in Toronto
Gift Shop, that's great! Do they have those little leg lamps made in China that I could mount on the dash of my boat with a LED bulb in it?

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't remember but probably... they have stringers of them and night lights

flipper
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Anybody know where I can get a teak lamp with LED's?

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/index.php/gift-shop/

VOLFAN
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
flipper...

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/65378.htm

install your own led's and there you have it

flipper
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Your da man!!!! I knew they kept you around here for some reason.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Gift Shop, that's great! Do they have those little leg lamps made in China that I could mount on the dash of my boat with a LED bulb in it?

You will have to do a little customizing on this, but its the correct size. LED bulb, rewire, add a base to mount to your dash, and there you go.
http://www.redriderleglamps.com/Store.cfm?category=15&position=1

funk
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
A knife would've worked just fine!

Report: Boat not properly anchoredComment Email Print Share Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- An agency investigating a deadly boating accident involving two NFL players and their friends in the Gulf of Mexico has concluded it was a caused when the vessel was improperly anchored and the boat capsized after one of them tried to throttle forward to pry loose the anchor.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's investigation also cited carelessness and operator inexperience as contributing factors. The combination of errors also came at the time a storm front was moving in, making conditions on the water very rough.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith, and former University of South Florida players William Bleakley and Nick Schuyler departed from Clearwater Pass, Fla., early Feb. 28 to go offshore fishing for amberjack.

Schuyler, found clinging to the boat two days later, was the lone survivor. The other three men have not been found.

In an in-depth interview with the agency, Schuyler gave this account of the accident:

Early that morning, the men went more than 50 miles offshore in Cooper's 21-foot vessel. It was loaded with two large coolers filled with ice, drinks, food and beer. All of the friends were dressed in warm clothes, sweat suits and jackets.

Around 5:30 p.m., they went to pull up the anchor and head back to port, but the anchor was stuck. Bleakley suggested they tie it to the transom and use the boat's motor to pull it loose.

When Cooper tried to thrust the boat forward, the vessel became submerged and capsized, tossing the men overboard. They tried to upright the boat without success. Bleakley swam underneath and was able to retrieve three life vests, a large cooler and a makeshift flotation device.

Bleakley, who Schuyler has credited with saving his life, used the makeshift flotation device, which has been described previously as a cushion. The other three wore the vests.

The men appear to have tried everything in their power to rescue themselves: Schuyler told the agency they tried retrieving and using flares without success. They also tried getting their cell phones, which were in plastic baggies.

They knew how many hours were passing because Schuyler had a watch with a light on and was able to keep track of the time. He said that around 5:30 a.m. the next day, Cooper became unresponsive. Schuyler and Bleakley tried to revive him without success.

Cooper's flotation device was removed and Bleakley put it on. The Oakland Raiders linebacker then became separated from the boat.

About an hour later, Smith started to show "possible extreme symptoms of hypothermia." He removed his flotation device and also became separated from the boat.

The two college teammates were the only ones left. They hung on together for about 24 hours, until Bleakley grew weak and removed his life vest as well.

Schuyler said that his friend appeared to die as he was holding onto him. He let his friend go and Bleakley drifted away.

The Coast Guard released its records on the accident last week. According to the agency, Schuyler told them the boat capsized after their anchor got caught in a reef.

The accuracy of that account was somewhat unclear because Schuyler was suffering from hypothermia and spoke to them shortly after he was pulled from the boat. His doctor said he probably could have only lived another five to 10 hours.

The Coast Guard called off its search after three days of scouring 24,000 miles of ocean.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
A little inexperience will go a long way. How terrible that this didn't need to happen. I guess you can't respect that water too much.

Sodar
03-27-2009, 02:27 PM
That is rough! I could not imagine having my best buddies die in front of me or have it be so bad that they give up.

All of that to save a $100 worth of anchor and line... just let the farking thing go!!!