PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Tristar 220 needs a new engine or rebuild

Pcm Tristar
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I have a 1987 Tristar 220 that was stored in heated garage. During recent storms we lost power for a week and the engine is shot. Boat is in great shape inside and out other than the engine. I have been quoted $4,800 to rebuild and wonder if this is the way to go. Any help would be great.

JohnE
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a 1987 Tristar 220 that was stored in heated garage. During recent storms we lost power for a week and the engine is shot. Boat is in great shape inside and out other than the engine. I have been quoted $4,800 to rebuild and wonder if this is the way to go. Any help would be great.

Price seems high. But someone smarter than me will be around soon........

I'm sure you don't want to hear a lecture on why you don't want to leave your fate up to the poco.....

Jerseydave
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
. I have been quoted $4,800 to rebuild

How can you rebuild your engine if the block is cracked? (I assume you mean purchasing a rebuilt, which makes sense.) 351PCM I assume, might be a tough find. Try www.part-man.com but I'm not sure if they deal with Ford engines, maybe just GM?

I was never one to trust electrical heaters or heated garages just for this reason. Sorry to hear about your engine though.

Pcm Tristar
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
they are telling me rebuild, the caps poped out. Isthat something that cane be fixed?

denverd1
03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
freeze plugs popped doesn't mean the pressure stopped there. Have they looked at your block? Price sounds high, maybe that includes a new block, if you need it.

What does this $4800 "rebuild" entail?

denverd1
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
BTW there was an engine and tranny combo for sale in houston not too long ago for 2500. Be very weary of a "rebuild" quote and what it entails. Some people think popping off the valve cover and changing the oil is "rebuilding an engine".

etduc
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Read this. http://www.jasperengines.com/about-reman.htm

The main thing on rebuilding, is the man doing the rebuild. IN most cases, a remanufactured engine, is a safer bet. They can be purchased, at different levels. i.e. - short block, long block, complete engine, even with some custom options. Another option, buy automotive engine, and switch a few parts. (probably at lower cost.)

Or, buy my 1990 Tristar( $2500.00 + delivery) for the engine, you have a spare boat. ;)

joniron1
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
ive checked 4 people on feedback for this guy ,all were satisfied.5.8 351w is $1350 $199 shipping no core,and only works on marine engines ,garantees your getting a marine engine.also shows how a decode serial numbers to determine if it is a marine engine.seems pretty good to me im getting mine in a couple months.http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/ourfeedback.aspx