PDA

View Full Version : Stuff you've dropped in the water

bobbyB
03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
So what stuff have you dropped in the drink??? Extra points if you've got the guts to tell about the really stupid things.

1 cell phone, couple of sunglasses, screwdriver and various nuts, bolts, etc....

My son dropped me in the water....... Picture if you will, our family on our Prostar 190......me sitting on the transome in the middle of getting ready for a ski run....my son sitting in the observer seat....without getting into the drivers seat, he twists around and starts the boat....(insert ominus music here).... I say "DON'T EVER do that. You ALWAYS get in the drivers seat before you start to operate the boat!".....(you can see it coming can't ya)....before I can stop him he whips around and jumps into the drivers seat and his knee hit the gear shift lever hard enough to slam it into full throttle forward.....I suddenly find myself with no boat under me (picture Wiley Coyote hanging in air). Funny how many angry thoughts can go thru your head in the short time it takes to hit the water:mad:. I can distinctly remember cussing underwater. After that little senerio, he never did anything close to that again...lesson learned. Years later, my wife told me that after he stopped the boat, he turned to her with a look of utter fear and said "I don't want to go back there!" Luckily no one got hurt, and it taught him a valuable lesson.....oh, and I lost the sunglasses I was wearing.

JohnE
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I heard Knox lost his truck keys once.:D:D

dpolen
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
How about a stereo speaker? I accidientally dropped a nice Infinity Kappa component speaker in the lake while working on my parent's old Trojan express cruiser.

Beyond that, I've got the usual stuff like sunglasses, tools, and bolts/screws.

X-5_Driver
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I dropped a cell phone in the water on the ramp while is was launching. Of course, it was dead as a doornail when I fished it out. I threw it on the dashboard and let it cook all day. When the day was done it was working again like nothing ever happened. Nokia quality construction. Other than that a whole bunch of flags including a really cool orange Boise State flag which I used as a skier flag....gone.:(

Wake2wake
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Helping grandma get into the boat and promising her she wont fall, brother sitting in the drivers seat and he thinks its funny to hit the gas. needless to say, he got no birthday or Christmas present from her that year...:D oh and no one was hurt and looking back even she thinks its really funny.

coz
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
That's a good one bobbyB :headbang: fortunately only shades for me, alot of them though, especially when I had jetskis :D

TMCNo1
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
One perfectly good MasterCraft towel and that's it!

:uglyhammeWhen we had our lake place, I had a neighbor that found out a chainsaw wouldn't run underwater, while cutting off pier posts!

ttu
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
2 cell phones, 1 t-shirt and a flip flop.

oh and my wakeboard flew off the rack and never found it.:mad:

i did throw my son off the back when he started bit**ing about his last wakeboard set. does that count?

WishIWasSkiing
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Just my boat....sans plug....fortunately I realized it while it was still on the trailer at the ramp. Rookie mistake.

Sodar
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I have lost 11 cellphones, 3 pairs of glasses, a plug, an outboard (dinghy), a digital camera, deck fill caps, fuel keys, etc, etc, etc.

The cellphones are really my claim to fame, though. I was cancelled by insurance 4 times. They really need to make a waterproof, floating phone.

ProStar190Fan
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I have lost 11 cellphones, 3 pairs of glasses, a plug, an outboard (dinghy), a digital camera, deck fill caps, fuel keys, etc, etc, etc.

The cellphones are really my claim to fame, though. I was cancelled by insurance 4 times. They really need to make a waterproof, floating phone.

They have one of those, its called the house phone, think about it, it will never need to get wet and it stays on the wall so the floating issue is taken care of. :D

Tom

TMCNo1
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM

Wow, I'm surprised the state ever gave you a drivers license, you've lost a complete Goodwill Budget Store!
:uglyhamme

Sodar
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
They have one of those, its called the house phone, think about it, it will never need to get wet and it stays on the wall so the floating issue is taken care of. :D

Tom

I should get one of those.... I don't have a house/land line.... just the cell phone.

TX.X-30 fan
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
We stopped in the Colorado arm On LBJ one morning for a pee or something, had a boat full I gave a quick look and ask if we are ready, then punch it. Kathy was on the back standing with a wine cooler as I launched she jumped to miss the platform and someone hit my arm and said you forgot someone.

She saved the wine cooler but the shades went down.

JohnE
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I should get one of those.... I don't have a house/land line.... just the cell phone.

I wish I could get the wife on board with cancelling the house phone. Seems like a good way to get thrifty with household expenses.;)

Sodar
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I wish I could get the wife on board with cancelling the house phone. Seems like a good way to get thrifty with household expenses.;)

It's nice not ever having to check messages at home. We just got a line for emergencies and faxes only. Works great!

cbryan70
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Sodor they have a waterproof phone......verizon does look up the verizon boulder

mcxfan
03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Tag Watch, New 80gig Video Ipod, Digital Video Camera, 2 cell phones, 2 new anchors/anchor buddies, fiberglass swimdeck on my 2001 PS 209, fiberglass swimdeck pad on my 2007 X2, and 2 pairs of spy sunglass. No...they weren't lost on the same trip, but enough for a down payment on a new boat....LOL

ProStar190Fan
03-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Sodor they have a waterproof phone......verizon does look up the verizon boulder

or he could use this, a cell phone dry pak. Oh yeah i have dropped the drain plug in the water, thank god the boat was on the shore station.

I took it off per the instructions of when the boat is left on a uncovered shorestation you should keep it out if you will be gone for over a week, i slipped on new teak polish and well the rest you can guess.

Tom

cf_koch
03-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Once while out on our Jet Ski I pulled up to a friend's ski boat and I reached to pull a line out of the storage trunk in the bow. As I pulled the rope out I watched the keys to my truck fly through the air and land in 60' of water. Made getting home with the ski a bit of a challenge. :mad:

03 35th Anniversary
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I dropped FooterGirl in the water one time, but she floated back up to the top....

Sodar
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I dropped FooterGirl in the water one time, but she floated back up to the top....

Going for a Scott Peterson thing, huh?

Footin
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
A $250.00 pair of Revo sunglasses last summer.

JohnE
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Sodar's dropped a dozen cell phones. You'll have another chance.

prostar205
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
One very heavy swim platform, a set of prescription sunglasses, a MC towel.

ProStar190Fan
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
One very heavy swim platform, a set of prescription sunglasses, a MC towel.

hopefully you recovered the swim platform.

Tom

FrankSchwab
03-02-2009, 11:26 PM
So far, my wife has everyone beat...
1 carat $7500 diamond wedding ring. No recovery.

/frank

p.s. In her defense, she wasn't skiing that day. She'd banged her finger earlier in the day, and the ring was irritating her finger so she took it off and put it in her breast pocket. Someone dropped the flag overboard, she reached over the rail to get it, and...well, it wasn't a very good day after that.
Yes, we have a bag in the glove box for rings, wallets, keys, etc., but she didn't want to use it.

KnoxX2
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I heard Knox lost his truck keys once:D

Thats just wrong!!!:rolleyes: But it right! Dang keys:mad:8p

east tx skier
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Dropped my wallet in the lake and didn't miss it until home. Cancelled the cards and reordered the license.

Wake2wake
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM

I will personally vouch for this phone, It has been in my pocket wakeboarding many times on accident many times, and ive even answered calls while boarding. Pretty much all of the people who i ride with have the same phone and love it. only one ive heard of breaking was when one was left on a back bumper at the ramp, and it ended up getting run over by the boat:(

oh yeah and it was advertised in Surf Magazine as taking it out in the pipeline with you. so i would assume if they are advertising it for salt water its pretty tuff!

bobbyB
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM

/frank

p.s. In her defense, she wasn't skiing that day. She'd banged her finger earlier in the day, and the ring was irritating her finger so she took it off and put it in her breast pocket. Someone dropped the flag overboard, she reached over the rail to get it, and...well, it wasn't a very good day after that.
Yes, we have a bag in the glove box for rings, wallets, keys, etc., but she didn't want to use it.

Reminds me of the time me and a buddy were pulling up to a beach and he had just dropped his anchor/bungee line when his wife went to hop over the side of the boat to pull it in. She hooked her wedding ring on the cleat and hanked her finger badly. Bad news was that the ring broke into pcs...good news was that it breaking probably saved her finger. We didn't dare disturb the bottom so my buddy stayed in his boat and his wife was standing on shore crying and holding her finger.

We took our boat back to the marina and got our snorkle gear and ran back. We were in a lake and the water was clear and only about 4ft deep, so I started working a grid pattern around his boat. A couple of mins later I found the bottom 1/2 of the ring, and about 15 mins later found the top 1/2.....no diamond though.

Picture a lake bottom that was small rocks/pebbles with some sand mixed in. Believe it or not, about 10mins later there it was inbetween the pebbles. Slowly scoped my hand under the rocks and diamond and walked to shore. 4 adults, a bunch of kids standing around looking thru the muck in my hand. Slowly poured water over my hand and there it was. One 1/2 karat diamond found! Got a big hug and great story out of that day.

Her finger ended up only bruised badly and my buddy went and had the ring remade for thier anniversary. Ahhhhh.

VOLFAN
03-03-2009, 07:17 AM
just a few things that comes to mind...

hammer, sunglasses, knob for board rack, a small two wheel dolly and I am sure there is more.

ski_king
03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
The plug, only one I had in the boat at the time.

TMCNo1
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Come to think of it, over the last 31 years, I've dropped a lot on money in the water!:D

Gonzo
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
usual suspects for me... sunglasses, wife, her sunglasses when she went in ( Im still paying for that one)...:)

Muttley
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
A couple $600 prescription sunglasses... Once I stepped out of the boat and slipped on a goose crap covered dock. It was so slippery I slid right across the dock into the water on the other side. Cell phone, wallet, keys, glasses... everything into the 1 foot of muck. I still found it all. The cel even worked after it dried out. It was pretty gross.

The worst was an outboard motor. We were out in a little 6' dingy when the little 6 hp Evenrude stalled. I yanked the rope to start it and the thing fell off the transom. We hired a diver to try and find it. He came up and said he could see the crater where it hit the soft silt. He tried to reach down as far as he could into the muck, but he couldn't find it.

ProStar190Fan
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Come to think of it, over the last 31 years, I've dropped a lot on money in the water!:D

Where are you located, i think i want to go scuba diving. :D

Tom

Jesus_Freak
03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
...Picture a lake bottom that was small rocks/pebbles with some sand mixed in. Believe it or not, about 10mins later there it was inbetween the pebbles. Slowly scoped my hand under the rocks and diamond and walked to shore. 4 adults, a bunch of kids standing around looking thru the muck in my hand. Slowly poured water over my hand and there it was. One 1/2 karat diamond found! Got a big hug and great story out of that day.

Her finger ended up only bruised badly and my buddy went and had the ring remade for thier anniversary. Ahhhhh.

Amazing!

For me, the usual - prop nuts, tools, keys...

Monte
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Lots of sunglasses.

wakeX2wake
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
6 pair of Oakley sunglasses in HS and a pair on Maui Jims in college... it was a weekly routine for me to leave me truck key in my pocket and have to use the "hidden" one when outing w/ the family the summer we had the caravelle (wish it had been the boat keys)... gotten better at this stuff... i did help drop a starter off a 94 ps205 in the drink... we got it back thought as it we were changing the starter on the dock lift and fumbled it handing it out of the boat... she didn't know it would be heavy... i dropped a pair of ray ban prescription in off the end of my friends dock and found the 6 months later when the water started going down and we could search bottom longer... i don't count those on my "GONE sunglasses" count

Monte
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Knox dropped his keys in the water?:eek3: When did this happen??:rolleyes:8p

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Knox dropped his keys in the water?:eek3: When did this happen??:8p

Ha Ha Boy you are just full of they today!!!!:rolleyes:8p

Monte
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Ha Ha Boy you are just full of they today!!!!:rolleyes:8p

I was just concerned for your well being there bud.. You had a spare set handy right? I mean, you didn't have to walk up any hills.. right??

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
No I sure didn't and the wife didn't drive 3 hours with 3 kids to bring me the extra set.:rolleyes:;):D

TMCNo1
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Where are you located, i think i want to go scuba diving. :D

Tom

Lots of Money, is the kind that tows boats, rides on a trailer and floats in the water!

scott023
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
6 pair of Oakley sunglasses in HS and a pair on Maui Jims in college... it was a weekly routine for me to leave me truck key in my pocket and have to use the "hidden" one when outing w/ the family the summer we had the caravelle (wish it had been the boat keys)... gotten better at this stuff... i did help drop a starter off a 94 ps205 in the drink... we got it back thought as it we were changing the starter on the dock lift and fumbled it handing it out of the boat... she didn't know it would be heavy... i dropped a pair of ray ban prescription in off the end of my friends dock and found the 6 months later when the water started going down and we could search bottom longer... i don't count those on my "GONE sunglasses" count

Wake, you should get those fancy sungalss bands that wrap around your hear like Don Johnson had in Miami Vice.

Monte
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
No I sure didn't and the wife didn't drive 3 hours with 3 kids to bring me the extra set.:rolleyes:;):D

Good.. I knew you were always prepared and would NEVER carry a set of keys on the boat without a floatie:rolleyes:

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Nope never!!!! BTW whats a floatie?8p:D

Monte
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Nope never!!!! BTW whats a floatie?8p:D

A PFD for keys;)

loeweb
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I've only dropped a towel, sunglasses, and cabin keys. The keys were recovered off the dock where we were staying after about 30 minutes of dragging the bottom with a magnet. Luckily the ring was a ferrous metal.

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
A PFD for keys;)

PFD ?????????????????????

Sorry I don't speak Jamaican:D

ProStar190Fan
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
PFD ?????????????????????

Sorry I don't speak Jamaican:D

a personal floatation device.

Tom

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Wake, you should get those fancy sungalss bands that wrap around your hear like Don Johnson had in Miami Vice.

Yeah, UMP knows where you kind find those!

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Who is that other person in that Pic with UMP?

Monte
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
a personal floatation device.

Tom

Thank you Tom:cool:

Now we have absolute proof that some of our membership (Knox) rode the shorter bus on the way to school as a youth8p

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
My Bus may have been shorter, but it was not the short special bus you rode!!!!!!

Monte
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
My Bus may have been short but it was a special bus

I knew it.. We still love you man:D

Sodar
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Who is that other person in that Pic with UMP?

His girlie-friend, Priscilla

KnoxX2
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I knew it.. We still love you man:D

Nice try with your trickery

djhuff
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Had a funny one.
We dinged a prop coming off the lift going to a party one night, didn't have a prop puller, but the owner of the boat was good buds with the shop on the lake, called them up and they came over to change it for him. Lots of guys there that have boats, but we thought we would let the shop mechanic do the change. Someone noticed that he took the nut off before putting the prop puller on, then started to wrench it off. When brought to his attention, his answer was "I know what I'm doing"

Prop broke loose, wrench, puller, and prop... into the lake. Worst part, my buddy has deep water at his dock, so the tools are about 10' down, and it's late October (cold). Being as he was doing us a favor by even being there, we volunteered to go and retrieve his tools, but I was the only one in board shorts, so I got to go. About 20 mins later, he had his tools back, and I was a Popsicle.

wakeX2wake
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
ehhh... i can't get into croakies... i've tried them a couple of times and just can't... the six pair of oakleys can't REALLY be explained... i know what 2 of them were from... have you ever been standing on the swim platform and been speared off it?... that's 2 pair... i think one was pulling a girl in the boat as she was freaking out b/c a snake was in the water w/ her... i think the other three were from inadvertent waverunner crashes... the raybans were in my cap as i was floating w/ the "diaper" (lifejacket upside down on like a diaper... great for floating and drinking) and my friend's dad threw me my cap w/ my sunglasses inside after i had warned him... and the maui jims were lost due to intoxication and the people i was with thought i was going to wakeboard in sunglasses

beatle78
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
so the tools are about 10' down, and it's late October (cold). Being as he was doing us a favor by even being there, we volunteered to go and retrieve his tools, but I was the only one in board shorts, so I got to go. About 20 mins later, he had his tools back, and I was a Popsicle.

hehe, it's all relative right? NC? Cold? October? I laughed a little when I read this.

I usually ride a couple of times in October here in RI. I only own a shortie.:o

wakeX2wake
03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Prop broke loose, wrench, puller, and prop... into the lake.

and that's the point at which i would have thrown whatever i had left further into the lake... the mechanic is better at controlling himself than me...

and you're a really nice guy... WAY nicer than i am...

mlay
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry its not officially what I lost, pretty much everything listed before I have lost except diamonds. However, this was probably the best we came up with, even if a little cruel.

Older brother just purchased a really expensive camera and was down for the summer at our family vacation on the lake. My younger brother and I told him to speed down the cove near the dock and we could take some photo's of his boat. First pass my brother took pictures and when he returned to the dock we asked him for another pass. As he was leaving we replaced the camera with two black sandles with straps that could from a distance be mistaken for a camera. As he ran by on pass two my brother acting as if he was taking pictures fumbled the sandles out of his hands and off the dock into the water. You could clearly read the words the my brother was spouting off as he witnessed this as I dived into the water to make it look even more realistic going after the "camera". I really thought he was going to run aground looking back at what he just witnessed.

No harm no foul but it was funny, for two of us anyway!

If we could have recorded that expression we would have won on funniest videos.

JohnE
03-03-2009, 06:04 PM

/frank

Frank, I can't imagine anyone topping that one. I think you win. :o

Hope the insurance covered it.

Loffgren
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Sunglasses X5

ttu
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
i would like to drop my ex wife in:toast:

sortloff
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
My little bro pulled both pins on one of my bimini poles and watched it quickly disappear into the lake. Bummer.

Gonzo
03-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Picture a lake bottom that was small rocks/pebbles with some sand mixed in. Believe it or not, about 10mins later there it was inbetween the pebbles. Slowly scoped my hand under the rocks and diamond and walked to shore. 4 adults, a bunch of kids standing around looking thru the muck in my hand. Slowly poured water over my hand and there it was. One 1/2 karat diamond found! Got a big hug and great story out of that day.

Hammer has a story like this one, not off a boat but mountain steams count.. waters water...

FrankSchwab
03-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Frank, I can't imagine anyone topping that one. I think you win. :o

Hope the insurance covered it.

As a matter of fact, we had purchased a rider for the ring, and yes they covered it.

So, if anyone is really hard up for cash, and needs to get a ring for their lady friend, I know where there's a free one. Roughly 100 feet down from 33 degrees, 34 minutes, 33.6 seconds N, 111 degrees, 29 minutes, 33.1 seconds W.

It shouldn't be too hard to find.

beatle78
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
As a matter of fact, we had purchased a rider for the ring, and yes they covered it.

So, if anyone is really hard up for cash, and needs to get a ring for their lady friend, I know where there's a free one. Roughly 100 feet down from 33 degrees, 34 minutes, 33.6 seconds N, 111 degrees, 29 minutes, 33.1 seconds W.

It shouldn't be too hard to find.

WOW, did you guys ever grab some scuba gear to try to recover it?

Jesus_Freak
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Or hire a diver?

FrankSchwab
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Re-read bobbyb's post about the difficulties finding a ring in shallow water, when he probably knew where it was within a 20' circle.

Now imagine doing the same search at 100' of depth, where you have roughly 10 minutes worth of air, little light, and you think you know where you dropped the ring within, say, a 1000' diameter circle.

We determined that the probability of success didn't justify the cost.

/frank

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Re-read bobbyb's post about the difficulties finding a ring in shallow water, when he probably knew where it was within a 20' circle.

Now imagine doing the same search at 100' of depth, where you have roughly 10 minutes worth of air, little light, and you think you know where you dropped the ring within, say, a 1000' diameter circle.

/frank

Won't find it if a fish ate it on the way down.

uncleboo
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I've lost Oakleys, Costa Del Mar's, two Mastercraft t-shirts, a red and black combo ski, a wakeboard handle, a 10lb. mushroom anchor, one timex watch, a 3/8 socket and a UT hat. I am sure I will be able to add something to the list this year.

Slinkyredfoot
03-04-2009, 08:22 PM
To many things to count over the years, an 18hp Evinrude outboard motor slipped off the transom of my boat when I was 13, wrenches, keys, props, concrete anchors for an old wooden float, bait, dead fish, live fish, boobers and bobbers to, an old slalom course through the ice, matches, lighters, battery chargers, slunglasses, keys and maybe a few other things that have slipped my mind.

MC2000190
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
My fiance dropped her diamond earrings under the pier! Lucky for her I was able to get them both back!

Jesus_Freak
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM

/frank

Great point. 1000' diameter might be a little exaggerated, but fish, currents/thermals, and regular drag-induced wavering will will prevent it from following a straight path down (even if you knew precisely where it was dropped). Glad you had insurance.

wheelerlake
11-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Lost my O'brien Siege (and the orange-painted drop off ski) off the swimdeck this summer:( We pulled up to my observer's dock, I got ready to go, put my skis on the swim deck and he wasn't coming out of the cottage. So I went up to find him not home at all. I went back down, hopped back in the boat and we took off. Just so happens we decided to take a ride around the lake as long as we had the MC off the rack. Never thought of my skis. A week later the observer's neighbor told me he had my drop off ski on the end of his dock. Funny I never recovered the $400 Siege:( We looked everywhere, put up a note in the local grocery store, on the fb page, etc. Someone has a very nice ski now that they probably can't even ski on!

Double D
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
This is a great thread and I have never seen it before.

Of course I threw my anchor in and the rope wasn't attached. I liked that anchor..... :mad:

mtajpa
11-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Of course I threw my anchor in and the rope wasn't attached. I liked that anchor..... :mad:

Son did they same thing. 100 foot rope.:mad:, The next year the water level dropped almost 40 feet and he found it along with 2 others:D:D:D.

150 bucks floating around in Johnsons Bay (Lake of the Ozarks). Decided to ski on the way back from lunch. Least it was on the way back.:rolleyes:

strad
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Well technically I didn't LOSE it, but I did drown it with water. My iPhone 4s was in my pocket when loading the boat onto the trailer. That was an expensive mistake.

lakeoz tristar
11-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Son did they same thing. 100 foot rope.:mad:, The next year the water level dropped almost 40 feet and he found it along with 2 others:D:D:D.

150 bucks floating around in Johnsons Bay (Lake of the Ozarks). Decided to ski on the way back from lunch. Least it was on the way back.:rolleyes:
you said Johnsons Bay lake of the Ozarks? Is that the 3MM of the Gravois? If it is small world...

03 35th Anniversary
11-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Wife!!!

But She Got Back In The Boat....

wheelerlake
11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sequestering myself at the cottage until the day before left knee replacement on Wednesday:) Too much crap out there to catch and delay OR. Getting bored, dug deep on the site for interesting posts/info out there. Oh, and I'm not allowed to bring my phone anywhere near the lake unless it goes right into the MC while skiing, just in case we would need to call for help. Lost one, destroyed 2. I usually tuck it into my swimsuit top. I got in the water to putz with the lift and all of a sudden my boobs were vibrating! Whoops! Altho they recover better if you fetch them out and dry them than if you wash a brand new phone. My hubby lost his perscription glasses off the pontoon in front of the dock. We have muck and rocks. I snorkeled and found them, catching the bottom rims on top of the muck. Brand new fishing pole, anchor, tools. the bunker off the lift. We've also found all sorts of things that blow into our cove at the north end of the lake. I have a knee board that I tried everything to find the owner to no avail. I often have to go around the lake delivering floaty things back to owners after it's windy out.

mtajpa
11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
you said Johnsons Bay lake of the Ozarks? Is that the 3MM of the Gravois? If it is small world...

Yes it would be. We usually spend a week or two with friends there. I thought a picture you posted a while back looked familiar. We will have to look you up the next time me are out there.:)

mtajpa
11-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Well technically I didn't LOSE it, but I did drown it with water. My iPhone 4s was in my pocket when loading the boat onto the trailer. That was an expensive mistake.

Good excuse to get the 5:rolleyes:

zsqure
11-11-2012, 02:25 PM
A 2hp Evinrude, a 3.6 hp Mercury, both somewhere in Sandusky Bay. My dads set of keys for his car while we were checking on the boat in January up at Cedar Point Marina. Got my A$$ chewed on for that one the most.

rtw_travel
11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Over about 30 years: towels, numerous hats, boat ladder, drop off ski (forgot to pick up), cell phone, boat fenders, car keys, wedding ring. ....Yes, wedding ring.

When first married, I used to have a habit of playing with my ring all the time... and for some reason took it off my finger after dropping off from a ski run. Of course, it fell in about 6' of water. We keep a mask in the boat, so I went diving like Gollum in Lord of the Rings, and found it in the sandy bottom. Anyway... I've stopped playing with my ring and we're still married after 28 years.

maristardd
11-11-2012, 03:09 PM
> iPhone 4s

I use a lifeproof.com case on my iphone - won't keep it from sinking but does make it fully waterproof (as well as sweat proof when its in my jersey for cycling).

GoneBoatN
11-11-2012, 03:27 PM
An digital camera. Bought a waterproof one after that and put a float on the leash. An iPod Nano; got myself a real iPod after that. Now the iPod goes into the glove box as part of the top of ramp prep and only come out after take-out.

cdstukey
11-11-2012, 03:54 PM
From the boat, a couple of hats and a few pairs of sunglasses, nothing major. But, my wife lost her wedding and engagement rings in 3' surf over a sandy bottom in Hawaii. Incoming tide, so much sediment in the impact zone you couldn't see your hand in front of you face even with goggles. Thought it was gone for sure, even though I had the spot down to about a 10' radius. Went to the desk at our condo and asked them if they knew anybody with a metal detector. She said she knew one guy who was supposed to be pretty good. Gave him a call, he showed up in about 45 mins ask where we lost it and heads out into what is now chest deep water with waves breaking over his head. About thirty mins later we hear a muffled yell through his snorkel. He found it buried about four inches under the sand.

memphis23
11-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Dropped a pair of Oakley Juliet's at the boat dock came back a year later with my goggles pretending to be a scuba diver and blam there they were a couple of inches under the sand best glasses I have ever had they are 12 year old I replaced the lens and am wearing them today

Nick911
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Lost my wedding band a week after I got married...

Jim@BAWS
11-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I think the question is what havnt you dropped in the lake. Lets see while working on the jump...
batteries, saws, hammer, dive mask..the list goes on. One year when we had to re- anchor the jump we decided to use scuba gear...when we got to the bottom about 12 feet or so...we where laughing so hard at all the stuff that was one the bottom we just about threw up in the regulators we where laughing so hard as to what was done there,,,as we cursed it going to the bottom...guess you had to be there...ya get the point!!!

Jim@BAWS

strad
11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Good excuse to get the 5:rolleyes:

I would have, except I am not due an upgrade until feb of 2014!

tex
11-11-2012, 09:04 PM
My mind plus some oakleys and ray bans!

ahhudgins
11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I had to admit it, but we finished our runs a few years ago and headed back to the dock. After about 30 seconds I asked, “Where’s Allie?” (Our Cocker Spaniel). Apparently she had jumped onto the platform for a drink and no one had noticed, and I took off. I turned the boat around and found her swimming in the middle of the lake. I still feel horrible about that. :(

jhall0711
11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I had to admit it, but we finished our runs a few years ago and headed back to the dock. After about 30 seconds I asked, “Where’s Allie?” (Our Cocker Spaniel). Apparently she had jumped onto the platform for a drink and no one had noticed, and I took off. I turned the boat around and found her swimming in the middle of the lake. I still feel horrible about that. :(

Awesome.

jhall0711
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM

Any Bush Lights involved in that's decision there Dave??

Redstorm
11-12-2012, 04:19 AM
How bout an outbourd motor? Uncle was carrying an outboard down the dock to the rear of the sailboat. Lost his footing and fell in, still holding onto the brand new outboard. He said he was not going let go so he found himself standing on the bottom still holding the outboard looking up at the surface.

Double D
11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Any Bush Lights involved in that's decision there Dave??

Could be..... but mainly just carelessness. :o

kskonn
11-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I once dropped my drive shaft in the water, in the middle of the lake with my house in sight. It was in January and I had to jump in and try to find it, luckily I live in Texas. It was still cold.

wheelerlake
11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Good thing you weren't in WI! I Love that Christmas card we got from TT a few years ago where they had a run cut out of the ice and the skier's back and forth activity onto the ice/snow made it look like a Christmas tree! that was clever.

bturner2
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Had a black graphite trick ski fly out of the boat in Black Lake. It was on the first day of our week long vacation and I had only used it twice, never saw it again. Happened at dusk and even with two other boats combing the general area I lost the ski at we never were able to find it. Lessons learned.... don't buy black skis (especially if you plan to use them in Black Lake) and stow your gear before heading back home on a high speed run. Besides that it's been a mix of tools and of course me if falling off the dock being pushed into the water counts.

gid
11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
In my friends brothers boat, brother is very picky too. Getting fueled up at the dock and in go the boat keys. I dove and dove looking for the boat keys. We ended up pulling the ignition switch and hot wiring the brand new Supra. Brother was not a happy person

millpondkid
11-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Two pair of oakley sunglasses and truck keys I forgot to take out of my pocket before sking. Reached in the glovebox as we were heading back to the dock and then realized they were in my pocket.

mzimme
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
GoPro hero2 :(

Stx221
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Nothing yet? Knock on wood.

Well, actually one thing. I got pushed off the swim platform with a freshly opened beer back in August. Lets say the beer didn't fare so well...

willyt
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
actually lost a pair of boardshorts (yes i was wearing them at the time and yes it got awkward quick)

Double D
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Nothing yet? Knock on wood.

Well, actually one thing. I got pushed off the swim platform with a freshly opened beer back in August. Lets say the beer didn't fare so well...

That is the saddest story I have ever heard! :( How could you have allowed to happen to such a precious item!! Damnit!

Hanse1
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
I lost my wedding ring this summer in the lake. I stopped to help some kids on a sea doo that had gotten there rope stuck in the impeller shaft. They had not too long before that ran right past me as I was teaching my daughters friend how to ski on the boom. So I wasnt real happy with them but they where dead in the water where we ski. After 20 mins of cutting the rope and unwinding on a greasy shaft, I go to swim back to my boat and my ring slides right off. 15' of water and mucky bottom no luck finding it. Now if I'm out and see anyone with a sea doo shirt on I charge a drink or two to there tab.

Stx221
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
That is the saddest story I have ever heard! :( I could you have allowed to happen to such a precious item!! Damnit!

It was a very sad day indeed.

Happened to be one of these as well:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3545750054_2044c6bde9.jpg

hondaprlud
11-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Lost and found.

Wedding ring. about 10 years ago. I was on this health kick and lost about 25lbs. We were working on the dock and standing in knee deep muck. dropped a socket in the water reached down to feel for it and the ring slipped off. Next day I used a fishing net to scoop the muck onto the dock and squished through it for a couple of hours until I found it. Never did find the socket. Found the 25lbs again.

Barefoot tower boom pins. When we first bought the tower boom we pulled into shallow water and were putting it on. The main pin is "T" shaped and has a ring to get a good grip onto, but the other 2 are these round button top pins that are tough to hold onto (terrible design). Found the pin after about 20 min. A few days later doing the same thing I dropped it again. Found it again. Now the pins are wire tied to the tower.

cptskier15
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
We moored the boat onto the bouy, was busy pulling stern to shore for passengers to get off in knee deep water and my mother steps off platform with HD video camera, dslr camera, all families phones in camera bag, sunglasses. All on Christmas Day, made Christmas lunch awkward, next day my dad snapped his knee, then my brother and i snapped the rudder off the boat the day after, very expensive 3 days!

Iskidaily
11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
son lost his shorts while tubing a couple of years ago. I lost a pair of sunglasses when I decided to swim with them on. No other casualties, knock on wood!

onejdgreen
11-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I've been pretty lucky, I haven't dropped anything of value in the lake before. My brother lost his Oakley sunglasses once and I've thought about throwing my girlfriend off the boat on more than one occasion...

vision
11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Neighbor dropped a chain saw off his dock in 15 feet of water. Even getting in the water within 10 minutes, they never found it.

Since my boat lives on a lift and we do our own maintenance, I have lost almost a whole tool set to the lake over the years. Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. No power tools yet.

There must be some happy fish mechanics that have set up shop under my dock.

SP Maristar
11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Those fish must also look mighty good sporting all of the sunglasses that have been dropped. Count me in for one nice pair of RayBan Wayfarers back when they were cool. Hard to dive to catch them with a ski and a ski vest on, but I tried anyway.

DooSPX
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
luckly, only my cell phone and a watch one time.

wheelerlake
11-18-2012, 12:53 PM
My hubby dropped ME in off the pontoon. Every driver knows how when you're coming in to the dock just right and then EVERYONE heads over to that side to catch the dock for you, wrecking your perfect landing. I was standing at the front trying to offset everyone when he hit the dock tossing me in. I just kind of went with it. Feelings were all that were hurt that day:( It was right after that that I snorkeled for his glasses and by a miracle, found them. Just caught the wire frames sticking out of the muck and got them the first dive. If I'd have missed them the muck would have never let me find them again. He made supper that night and groveled pretty good after that!

clrussell
11-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Wedding ring.. Lost it about a month before my birthday in the middle of the lake.. No chance in even attempting to find it.. Wife got me a new one for my birthday.

Tapatalk

tdjaster
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I was in my friends' Tige (don't hate, he paid for gas), standing on the sun pad after teaching one of the chittlin's how to get up on a board. I re-entered the cabin area by gorilla swinging on the tower and landing in the center of the boat (standard procedure).

Unfortunately as I swung, my left pinky toe blew the sunglasses off of the person sitting on the back seat. I felt like the north end of a south-bound donkey but she assured me it was no big deal.

The amazing thing, really, was that my ninja skills swiped the glasses without ever touching her head. She was somewhat impressed. Had it not been for my wife scolding me and telling me that I could have just stepped into the boat, it actually was a pretty sweet move.

Double D
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I was in my friends' Tige (don't hate, he paid for gas), standing on the sun pad after teaching one of the chittlin's how to get up on a board. I re-entered the cabin area by gorilla swinging on the tower and landing in the center of the boat (standard procedure).

Unfortunately as I swung, my left pinky toe blew the sunglasses off of the person sitting on the back seat. I felt like the north end of a south-bound donkey but she assured me it was no big deal.

The amazing thing, really, was that my ninja skills swiped the glasses without ever touching her head. She was somewhat impressed. Had it not been for my wife scolding me and telling me that I could have just stepped into the boat, it actually was a pretty sweet move.

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme